Blue Stars marching a flugel horn

So, it is difficult to play a "marching French horn' in tune - OK, but is Drum & Bugle Corps supposed to be easy, or should the marching members be challenged and taught to rise to the challenge?

If it were easy it would [could] [should] be called 'marching band'...

flame shields up...

• Like 2

So, it is difficult to play a "marching French horn' in tune - OK, but is Drum & Bugle Corps supposed to be easy, or should the marching members be challenged and taught to rise to the challenge?

If it were easy it would [could] [should] be called 'marching band'...

flame shields up...

That was an argument for several months ago; one that I made.

Now they're here, and it should be interesting to hear that sound in corps again after 15-20 years of it being gone. Even if it's just for a duet.

...or it could have to do with the fact that the Cadets and Star made mellophones the popular middle voice in the 1980s? Also, the Blue Devils were playing around with different middle voices during that time as well. So, yea, maybe tone quality ( as in tuning, but not timbre). The switch happened way before the horn deals. Believe me, if corps were using frenchies in their lines when the "deals" started, they'd be included in the horn deals today, so I don't buy that line one bit.

I'm not talking about what-ifs, I'm talking about reality. The reality is it's unlikely anyone would elect to use a marching french horn instead of a concert french horn because good luck convincing Yamaha to let you keep your deal while using a Kanstul on the field.

Now they're here, and it should be interesting to hear that sound in corps again after 15-20 years of it being gone. Even if it's just for a duet.

I agree. I miss that sound.