Blue Stars marching a flugel horn

Well played Jeff, well played.

• Like 1

Thats an option too, of course. But its all summer marching band now, so as you can see from the no plussed reaction, its no big deal anymore. Anyone that thinks that adding the marching band instruments was going to get DCP'ers in a hissy fit here hasn't been noticing that few care on here about that anymore( on this side of the DCP forum anyway )... as the ones that did have drifted away quite awhile ago. As DCP long timers can readily see, DCP participation is way, way down from years past now, so its basically the same few posters stroking one another's back on here daily now on how much they love these DCI summer marching bands.

For the lsat 10 years, DCP has had a toxic reputation throughout marchers (go teach somewhere now and mention the site--the reaction is priceless), so the new blood to replace the leaving blood hasn't been super existent.

Can't wait to hear this. I know the Bluecoats mello solo in Metropolis was originally supposed to be French horn (and almost was until they eventually decided the penalty wasn't quite worth it). It'll be cool hearing that other brass timbre the way the arranger intended.

• Like 1

For the lsat 10 years, DCP has had a toxic reputation throughout marchers (go teach somewhere now and mention the site--the reaction is priceless),

I don't particularly care what people think who don't like the debate and discussion here on DCP and don't participate with the discussions and debate on here. They are entitled to their opinions as well, of course. If they stay away, I respect that decision as well. But as they say, out of sight, out of mind.

• Like 1

It'll be cool hearing that other brass timbre the way the arranger intended.

Maybe.. then again, maybe not. Nobody can determine if it'll be cool or not, until hearing and seeing it. But we can all hope you are correct.

I don't particularly care what people think who don't like the debate and discussion here on DCP and don't participate with the discussions and debate on here. They are entitled to their opinions as well, of course. If they stay away, I respect that decision as well. But as they say, out of sight, out of mind.

It's not the content of the discussion, but the nature and tone of it. In fairness, this is true of most of the internet, but most of the current and recent generations of participants prefer Facebook - away from the anonymity, where they can take accountability for the things they say and foster pretty friendly relationships with one another despite their active/recent competition with one another. That, and Facebook is easy.

Per the OP, can't wait to hear the duet, especially now that I've been away from the activity long enough that I'm actually starting to enjoy it (weird).

Edited by CrownLeadSop
  • Like 2

It's not the content of the discussion, but the nature and tone of it. In fairness, this is true of most of the internet, but most of the current and recent generations of participants prefer Facebook - away from the anonymity, where they can take accountability for the things they say and foster pretty friendly relationships with one another despite their active/recent competition with one another. That, and Facebook is easy.

True... and some people like to read fishing magazines than go fiishing with someone. Both of these groups are out of sight and out of mind too to most of us all here as well. If somebody doesn't find their time here worthwhile, then by all means go do something else with your time whether its facebook, or fishing. Many of of us here probably do both Facebook and DCP. Friends on Facebook don't care what is said here, and vice versa as well. Anyone that is frustrated by what somebody's opinion is, probably deserves their angst for being so silly to be overly concerned with it.

Edited by BRASSO

For the record, not too many high schools even use the concert horns as seen here in the marching band idiom, they're occasionally used for a novelty purpose or for soloists, and usually in very tasteful and cool ways. Lassiter high school 2002, Westfield high school 2003, ect.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Nothing new here at all. MBA Marching Bands and now DCI Marching Bands will be doing the same thing. Same old same old. Suppose they are trying to win bonus points from the judging staff trying to appear to be doing what DCI wants. DCI rewards those that play the game.

For the record, not too many high schools even use the concert horns as seen here in the marching band idiom, they're occasionally used for a novelty purpose or for soloists, and usually in very tasteful and cool ways. Lassiter high school 2002, Westfield high school 2003, ect.

How low have we gone when High School Marching Bands are the paradigm of cool for DCI?

I’m just glad we are going to keep the composer’s original brass timbres intact when we hack their piece into tiny little sound bites while prancing around the football in spandex re- imaging the piece as an homage to a 1930 art house movie and pounding out synth-samples of pixies hissing in disgust

• Like 3