Crown's hornline?

In fact they actually DO write it with intention of it being difficult. It's called contest music.

And you should take a moment compare the originals to the arrangements in this case. You're going to be surprised.

This is another bullet point from the script: "throw the word hater out there even though no one actually wrote it".

Please reference the post where I called you (or anyone else) a hater.

Parrot, hater, semantics don't matter. I know when I'm being painted as someone with an agenda, particularly when its by someone who clearly DOES have an agenda.

The fact is, you don't actually have an answer other than "so and so knows more than you" and "you're following a script" and "I know so and so who's involved".

I've made my points, quite specifically as a matter of fact. You can disagree if you like, but that doesn't make me a parrot (your words). Again, I don't have any agenda. I simply like to watch good shows. Crown's book is hard, for sure. As difficult as last year is debatable. The most difficult thing on the field ever... also debatable. I'm not the one acting like anyone who has an opposing opinion doesn't have a right to said opinion.

• Like 1

I know I said I was going to duck out but I can't resist....

Lol sorry have to add "they learned a few techniques and use them over and over again." to the menu. Forgot that one.

As for the difficulty of the book, I suggest you talk to any number of championship quality brass bands about the difficulty of Crown's material. There aren't just a few "tricks" or techniques you need to learn in order to successfully play the material. The material is written to test every facet of brass musicianship. But hey what do Phillip Sparke, Paul Lovatt Cooper or Bertrand Moren know about brass playing? They're just hacks who write music that's not difficult once you learn a few tricks over a summer. I'm sure that's how Cory and Black Dyke do it :-)

It was pretty clear what IMCom was reponding to: (1) they don't play for 4 minutes of their show...

He refuted those claims....

Oh did he now? Try this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlqo7BKlFe4

That right there is a video of Crown's show. I shall now provide you with time code markings of when the hornline does not play. NOTE: Out of fairness, I even left out the usual short 12 count(ish) spots for drum break. These are moments of primarily "synth only"....with some percussion effects included.

0:31(start of the show) - 1:48

4:29 - 5:52

6:35 - 7:33

8:15 - 9:11

Do the math, and try and "refute" me NOW!!!!!

Wow -- If I was attacking anyone, a mod must have deleted it and I must be off my meds again. Sorry folks!

Back to topic here and actually to remind people (actucker, bmj) what I was responding to in the first place. I was merely refuting a point about Crown '14 vs. Crown '13, '12, etc, not your corps vs. Crown. So I'm not sure who I was offending???

(and I shall quote again): "Crown does not have "the book" this year. It's not even close to the level of content as the last 2 (even 3) years"

My point was that I've seen some of "the book" along with last years "holy grail" and I know people who control, write for, teach, and play "thy book". And man, it is as holy Garfield as anyone can imagine, let me tell you. You are CORRECT. This "book" does not compare to 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. in terms of the demand it is placing on the performers. It is a HIGHER level. I believe the point that I was refuting was an individual insinuating it was a lesser and "not even close" to the level of previous Crown shows, meaning it was inferior.

My point was to ask the poster to actually listen again. Then I pointed out that asking brass players to switch to a different instrument to perform stuff that is at nothing less than a professional level is ludicrous, and has not been attempted before at this level. This is pretty much a fact. Unless I missed the 70 musicians from some other far off DCI show in ye olden times of yesteryear that picked up a foreign instrument and played them individually, with dozens of parts across the spectrum of written notes. The amount of those notes, the amount of individual responsibility required, the dynamic ranges, the ability to move, dance, lie down, jump on trampolines, whatever else.. while playing this professional level book is also ludicrous. Then switching back within seconds, not minutes or hours, to a larger embouchure (tuba, euph, bari, whatever) and going right back to performing at an elite level again on that -- that is INSANE. There are professionals that couldn't play this stuff sitting down without significant time required for training or learning all of the other musical responsibilities surrounding "the book". The closer itself takes all of this, wraps it up, spits it out, and gives you more 16th note hell once again, combined with some of the best ensemble moments in a Crown show we've ever witnessed.

If your definition of an inferior book is that, well then, I'm not sure I can help you. I can only help directly compare the horses mouth to the other horse. I, along with DCIMonkey can probably even help you get in touch with the guys at the top if you wanted to compare sheet music to sheet music and give "the book" another look. I've got the number in my cell. Just ask.

And to corpsband: you have to get me a copy of your script. You're right, it is proving to be used quite a bit. DCP is quite a hoot these days. :)

I'm well aware of what you were responding to, as I read the post. That doesn't change the fact that you're acting like a child who's had his favorite toy taken away. You want to have a civil conversation? Great. You want to suggest that people who don't agree with you don't know what they're talking about, then yes, you're going to irritate some people.

• Like 1

Wow -- If I was attacking anyone, a mod must have deleted it and I must be off my meds again. Sorry folks!

Back to topic here and actually to remind people (actucker, bmj) what I was responding to in the first place. I was merely refuting a point about Crown '14 vs. Crown '13, '12, etc, not your corps vs. Crown. So I'm not sure who I was offending???

(and I shall quote again): "Crown does not have "the book" this year. It's not even close to the level of content as the last 2 (even 3) years"

My point was that I've seen some of "the book" along with last years "holy grail" and I know people who control, write for, teach, and play "thy book". And man, it is as holy Garfield as anyone can imagine, let me tell you. You are CORRECT. This "book" does not compare to 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. in terms of the demand it is placing on the performers. It is a HIGHER level. I believe the point that I was refuting was an individual insinuating it was a lesser and "not even close" to the level of previous Crown shows, meaning it was inferior.

My point was to ask the poster to actually listen again. Then I pointed out that asking brass players to switch to a different instrument to perform stuff that is at nothing less than a professional level is ludicrous, and has not been attempted before at this level. This is pretty much a fact. Unless I missed the 70 musicians from some other far off DCI show in ye olden times of yesteryear that picked up a foreign instrument and played them individually, with dozens of parts across the spectrum of written notes. The amount of those notes, the amount of individual responsibility required, the dynamic ranges, the ability to move, dance, lie down, jump on trampolines, whatever else.. while playing this professional level book is also ludicrous. Then switching back within seconds, not minutes or hours, to a larger embouchure (tuba, euph, bari, whatever) and going right back to performing at an elite level again on that -- that is INSANE. There are professionals that couldn't play this stuff sitting down without significant time required for training or learning all of the other musical responsibilities surrounding "the book". The closer itself takes all of this, wraps it up, spits it out, and gives you more 16th note hell once again, combined with some of the best ensemble moments in a Crown show we've ever witnessed.

If your definition of an inferior book is that, well then, I'm not sure I can help you. I can only help directly compare the horses mouth to the other horse. I, along with DCIMonkey can probably even help you get in touch with the guys at the top if you wanted to compare sheet music to sheet music and give "the book" another look. I've got the number in my cell. Just ask.

And to corpsband: you have to get me a copy of your script. You're right, it is proving to be used quite a bit. DCP is quite a hoot these days. :)

It is pretty funny.

Even people who claim to have no horse in the race seem to be reading from it.

• Like 1

That right there is a video of Crown's show. I shall now provide you with time code markings of when the hornline does not play. NOTE: Out of fairness, I even left out the usual short 12 count(ish) spots for drum break. These are moments of primarily "synth only"....with some percussion effects included.

The show starts at 1:55. Everything before that is the pre show.

If your definition of an inferior book is that, well then, I'm not sure I can help you. I can only help directly compare the horses mouth to the other horse. I, along with DCIMonkey can probably even help you get in touch with the guys at the top if you wanted to compare sheet music to sheet music and give "the book" another look. I've got the number in my cell for the man / the devil, depending on your view of Crown's brass staff. Just ask.

My point was to ask the poster to actually listen again.

I did. Watched this video right here...

Sorry to double up here on a post I already made, but...

0:31-1:48

4:29-5:52

6:35-7:33

8:15-9:11

ALLL spots where the hornline is not playing. You can argue with me, but you can't argue with the time codes on this video.

The start of the show is AT 1:48. The announcement is right before the hit. It wasn't that way at this "preview" show for whatever reason, but ALL of that prior to 1:48 is PRESHOW.

You haven't been to a show yet this season... have you? If you were at Indy to see this, you'd know when the show started based on the announcement, clearly.

If you're going to add all this extra time and toss out some stupid number of "x" number of minutes of not playing, then let me subtract all of the time from any other corps (-insert corps name here-) without a preshow and deduct their on-field setup and interpret it as "brass not playing".

Wow, seriously. We get it, you think they don't play much. I'm trying to help you here.

Are you suggesting that the horns play past the cut off? Because you're counting that time as well.