Brass instruments rule change 2014

Right, so that's why Madison used a microphone on the trombone soloist, so we could hear the beautiful warm tone of the polypropylene speaker cone in the sound system. What would it sound like without amplification? Rather puny, actually. Being a trombone player who arranged for marching bands for twenty years, I am somewhat familiar with how trombones sound on the field. SCV uses trombones for what they're best for outdoors; Madison uses them for what they're the worst for outdoors.

My hope is that if corps have to use trombones, they at least use bass trombones to regain the sound they lost when they switched from contrabass bugles to tubas.

Then again, if you're gonna use trombones, do it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuSDuL2MgDQ

Is anyone on this forum even familiar with the name Dick Shearer? If not, you have absolutely no room to even discuss the Madison Scouts' approach to trombones in this year's show. The concept is too far above your head.

Is anyone on this forum even familiar with the name Dick Shearer? If not, you have absolutely no room to even discuss the Madison Scouts' approach to trombones in this year's show. The concept is too far above your head.

oh brother :thumbdown:

Right, so that's why Madison used a microphone on the trombone soloist, so we could hear the beautiful warm tone of the polypropylene speaker cone in the sound system. What would it sound like without amplification? Rather puny, actually. Being a trombone player who arranged for marching bands for twenty years, I am somewhat familiar with how trombones sound on the field. SCV uses trombones for what they're best for outdoors; Madison uses them for what they're the worst for outdoors.

My hope is that if corps have to use trombones, they at least use bass trombones to regain the sound they lost when they switched from contrabass bugles to tubas.

Then again, if you're gonna use trombones, do it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuSDuL2MgDQ

I think the reason Madison's trombones sounds so weak is because they are relying on, and compensating for the microphones instead of putting out a nice full sound.

Yes. but I would need to know first if you'd take in exchange for my sale to you of my Drum Corps 70's LP's, can I have as payment nine 1970 imitation car mufflers, and one bando looking crown shako ?

Would you take an IOU? I can send along the 1970 imitation car mufflers as I find them, but you're driving a hard bargain with the bando looking crown shako.

I am quite familiar with Dick Smearer's trombone playing, but what on earth does that have to do with my post?

I am quite familiar with Dick Smearer's trombone playing, but what on earth does that have to do with my post?

I think the more important question is what does his trombone playing have to do with Madison Scouts' use of trombones as well as your ability to comprehend what they are doing with it.

I think the more important question is what does his trombone playing have to do with Madison Scouts' use of trombones as well as your ability to comprehend what they are doing with it.

Maybe it's time for you to get to the point and tell me what I'm missing, since you doubt my comprehension of what Madison is doing with the trombones. Show us your cards: explain to me what I am missing.

Maybe it's time for you to get to the point and tell me what I'm missing, since you doubt my comprehension of what Madison is doing with the trombones. Show us your cards: explain to me what I am missing.

You said you were quite familliar with Dick Shearer's trombone playing so I shouldn't have to explain.

Oh yeah, and it's "Shearer" not "Smearer".

Edited by bmjfelts1988

You said you were quite familliar with Dick Shearer's trombone playing so I shouldn't have to explain.

Oh yeah, and it's "Shearer" not "Smearer".

We called him Dick Smearer because of his style. Have you heard him play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeCf1AkcXw

Stan Kenton's band defined the notion of a muscular trombone section for a generation. What made you think of Dick Smearer in the context of what the Madison tromboners are doing? Madison's bones sound like a lounge act compared to Kenton's bone section.

Edited by drangin