Brass instruments rule change 2014

I did think the point Mason made on the broadcast was a good one. Percussionists can use anything they want, yet year after year corps mostly march standard battery instrumentation because it works. Same story here: just because a trombone is legal doesn't mean that corps will use it always or often.

That said, the usage we've seen to date was pretty meh. The Cadets' french horn and Cavaliers' euphonium solos were well-played, but I don't think they've have been any less effective on a baritone or mellophone. A trombone can obviously do some things a baritone cannot, but I found the Scouts' use very underwhelming - it was short, buried in the texture, and didn't create much effect. It was kind of hard to understand why Mason made such a fuss about it.

He hasn't really pushed it that much.

Ah this is wonderful. Your thoughts I mean.

Let me ask you, oh wise one, did you feel this way about the mic'd pits and soloists before 2014?

As for the comments about Madison and Cadets, I'll just assume you have no knowledge of brass quality, or you were taught by morons because your opinions are just plain ####### stupid. I can't even respect them as opinions because they lack reality and intelligence on any level.

Are you the DCP opinion quality police? What I would find refreshing would be for you, with all you intellectual superiority, to explain why, in your opinion, the poster is wrong. Rather than launching a personal attack, which is rather bush league and far below your capabilities.

He hasn't really pushed it that much.

I meant in his interview in the Cinecast. He spent about half his time talking about the trombones and the rationale for using them.

I do believe, though, that he proposed the rule change. So he was an advocate in that sense as well.

From the Rockford show

Spirt had the best use with their trombone solo

Cavies euph was a better visual, lost musically, didn't carry and I was up front

Blue Star, the mello sounded better, made the French horn sound weak, tinythey need to figure it out, didn't work

Madison, massive fail with the trombone ensemble like a muddy river of goo barfed out on the fieldit started out fine as a solo and then turned into a crap fest..maybe it was a bad night or perhaps they have to re-think that and cut it to a solo, duet

A crap fest? I gotta go see that!!'

Does that apply to both pro and con, or just the viewpoints with which you disagree?

I'm talking about etiquette moderation, not opinion censorship - it's a common thing on the internet, and it was largely a tongue-in-cheek joke about how every thread on DCP turns into a discussion about the same four topics or so.

Cavaliers had a concert euphonium for a feature...

Madison had a trombone ensemble....

Cadets had a concert French horn, miked...

So far, I don't think any of those gave an OMG moment, but they didn't cause the earth to stop spinning, either.

The last sentence says it all. Time marches on...

Peace,

Fred O.

dragin, please accept some advice:

The electronics issue is (as Climate Change is) "settled science". This argument of yours doesn't have legs or feet. It's done. Let it go.

In today's designer's eyes, drum corps doesn't have to be analog to be good. And fans are agreeing in increasing numbers as the crop of kids involved with drum corps rolls over every couple of years. Most of today's performers don't remember when drum corps was not electric. Most fans don't either.

Agreed. A better strategy would be to point to specific examples when amplification and electronics are badly used, and compare to similar moments when electronics are better used, or not used at all, and praise the latter.

The climate change analogy is interesting, but while misleading arguments like those used to promote A&E might reasonably be compared to misleading arguments used to deny the science supporting anthropogenic global warming--George Hopkins as the Anthony Watts of drum corps?--the rules on these forums limit us from saying much in that regard.

Agreed. A better strategy would be to point to specific examples when amplification and electronics are badly used, and compare to similar moments when electronics are better used, or not used at all, and praise the latter.

The climate change analogy is interesting, but while misleading arguments like those used to promote A&E might reasonably be compared to misleading arguments used to deny the science supporting anthropogenic global warming--George Hopkins as the Anthony Watts of drum corps?--the rules on these forums limit us from saying much in that regard.

. Speechless I am. Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

Sustained low-frequency effects sound cool, and cannot be simulated by band instruments. But anything from low-mid-range on up from a spaced set of speakers creates the crappy sound associated with comb filtering from interference patterns between the two or more speakers.

If anyone is actually interested in "settled science," here you go:

http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~gibson/Notes/Section5_4/Sec5_4.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/comb-filtering

Electronics = bad sound. It's not exactly a news flash that young people have developed a taste for bad sound. But where are the adults, who should know better? Oh, right - standing at the mixer.

Sustained low-frequency effects sound cool, and cannot be simulated by band instruments. But anything from low-mid-range on up from a spaced set of speakers creates the crappy sound associated with comb filtering from interference patterns between the two or more speakers.

If anyone is actually interested in "settled science," here you go:

http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~gibson/Notes/Section5_4/Sec5_4.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/comb-filtering

Electronics = bad sound. It's not exactly a news flash that young people have developed a taste for bad sound. But where are the adults, who should know better? Oh, right - standing at the mixer.

Obviously you don't own cd's, records, movies, etc. since those use electronics and amplification, right?

Or do these views simply go in for the marching arts?

Oh, in their original versions Kenton and Ellis used electronics and amplification, especially Ellis, which means that the original music the Scouts are using is not good in your opinion either, correct? I mean, that's me just using the logic you keep using.