Brass instruments rule change 2014

So far, the brass instruments change has been much to do about nothing. I expected to see more trombone influence in Madison's show, but it's pretty limited. Cavies use the concert tuba. Spirit has a nice trombone playing a duet with a trumpet. French horn solo in Cadet. There may be others, but from what I've seen, it's not been a big deal.

The Drum Corps fans that would get their undies in a bunch over the use of conventional band instruments today in DCI left a long long time ago, and so naturally the use of singers, rock guitars, narrators, trombones, sousaphones, trumpets, dancing, etc no longer fazes them as that crowd left a long long time ago and you couldn't pay them to come and sit and watch the current shows.. so yes, the assessment that the use of trombones and the other band instuments has barely made a ripple with the fans that remain is an accurate assessment, imo. The intro of the woodwinds in a few years will also be met with not much outcries either, imo., as the current DCI units SHOULD be able to utilize them so as not to feel incomplete as a badazz football field musicband.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

So far, the brass instruments change has been much to do about nothing. I expected to see more trombone influence in Madison's show, but it's pretty limited. Cavies use the concert tuba. Spirit has a nice trombone playing a duet with a trumpet. French horn solo in Cadet. There may be others, but from what I've seen, it's not been a big deal.

Cavies use an American Concert Euphonium, not as concert tuba.

• 1 month later...

A little late in the game, but FWIW, th Blue Stars rehearsed yesterday with a mellophone replacing the french horn. Not sure if this was experimenting or an implemented change.

How 'bout we consider a " temproary ban " for those that want to " temporary ban " anyone that has a different opinion than our own ? This way the crickets can inherit this site during that temporary ban timeframe and listen to one another's chirping..

Brilliant! *<:O)

A little late in the game, but FWIW, th Blue Stars rehearsed yesterday with a mellophone replacing the french horn. Not sure if this was experimenting or an implemented change.

If this is true I'll be one happy camper! All season I thought that duet would sound better with a mello replacing the frenchie.

Cavaliers had a concert euphonium for a feature - I thought it was nicely staged and performed.

Madison had a trombone ensemble for one of their mini ballads. It gave it a nice "vintage" sound, I think.

Cadets had a concert French horn, miked. <shrug>

So far, I don't think any of those gave an OMG moment, but they didn't cause the earth to stop spinning, either. And none of those, from what I've seen so far, were actually marched.

Mike

none of the new toys IMO made any big impact