50th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix

every year it's the same old tired , worn out arguments. the bucs got beat. the cabs won. the bucs ain't going away with out a fight. you will get different panels and come DCA we will have a champ. it's really that simple. spreads open and tighten all year. and there will be some surprises.

• Like 1

>>every year it's the same old tired , worn out arguments.<<

I dunno Don ... I'm finding the commentary on the numbers and the analysis of their validity is interesting ... this is a much more intelligent to-and-fro than in past years ... Ray's comments, John's "instant review", Camel's "predictability" theory are making for good reading ... I'm learning something about the "captions", which I'll readily admit not know how to "judge" on the current sheets ... hmmm ... maybe I should attend a clinic sometime ... DCA still hold those? ...

Comment away ... but please don't start to attack each other ... it really diminished the discussion ... I'd be interested in opinions/thoughts on where Sky will score next weekend based on the fact that they haven't competed since 6/30 ...

Thanks in advance ...

:-)

• Like 1

Seems to me that one point in either direction on your 2 points per week stuff is a 50% swing, that is really not that predictable, especially when it comes to placements, remember, it is rank, then rate...............glad you made it all the way up to Jersey to see the show tho,...................

It appears you are misconstruing what he was saying. He was saying 1 point off total...not per week.

In the case of the Bucs, that is a 12.5% swing....not 50%. In reality, it was within a 1/2 point of the projected 8 points.....so that would seem to me to be a fairly predictable 6.25% swing.

Edited by DrumCorpsNutt

>>every year it's the same old tired , worn out arguments.<<

I dunno Don ... I'm finding the commentary on the numbers and the analysis of their validity is interesting ... this is a much more intelligent to-and-fro than in past years ... Ray's comments, John's "instant review", Camel's "predictability" theory are making for good reading ... I'm learning something about the "captions", which I'll readily admit not know how to "judge" on the current sheets ... hmmm ... maybe I should attend a clinic sometime ... DCA still hold those? ...

Comment away ... but please don't start to attack each other ... it really diminished the discussion ... I'd be interested in opinions/thoughts on where Sky will score next weekend based on the fact that they haven't competed since 6/30 ...

Thanks in advance ...

:-)

right there are no attacks. that's good. but what i don't like is when people go to their corners and start to say things about the spreads. we always get that. this is one DCA panel. next week may be different then it will be who's panel was right. i just see this coming. as for camel's predictability? i've been doing that for years and generally it works. i think DCA has a formula that works.

It appears you are misconstruing what he was saying. He was saying 1 point off total...not per week.

In the case of the Bucs, that is a 12.5% swing....not 50%. In reality, it was within a 1/2 point of the projected 8 points.....so that would see to me to be a fairly predictable at only a 6.25% swing.

good way to look at it. seems to make sense. bravo!!

Next weekend should be even more interesting all around ,how does Sky match up to other corps there ? the last spots at DCA will be a dog fight again this year .Be frist time Sky see's Sun in how many years ? Will Suns score conitue to go up as the seasons goes on ? If it does and we go by a 2 point jump per contest then that puts Sun at 74 and Shy at 70 .Can't wait Will Windsor start to clean and hold off other corps ? One more show ,one more week for the answers .Will Bucs bounce back ,will they put up a good battle to regain the number one spot .

• Like 2

Next weekend should be even more interesting all around ,how does Sky match up to other corps there ? the last spots at DCA will be a dog fight again this year .Be frist time Sky see's Sun in how many years ? Will Suns score conitue to go up as the seasons goes on ? If it does and we go by a 2 point jump per contest then that puts Sun at 74 and Shy at 70 .Can't wait Will Windsor start to clean and hold off other corps ? One more show ,one more week for the answers .Will Bucs bounce back ,will they put up a good battle to regain the number one spot .

i don't know about the rest of what you said but be sure of one thing. the bucs will bounce back. how far we don't know. but they are the champs and will go down swinging. i know a lot of people want a new champ and they may get one. but like cabs in the old days at A.L. nats never count them out. the entire field from top to bottom will be a dog fight. EVERYBODY seems motivated.

• Like 2

so you think the bucs can't beat the cabs this year? really? i think the bucs run maybe over but not without a fight. but i wasn't there so we will see.

Where the hell did you get THAT from? I said no such thing, I was ONLY referring to last night's results.

• Like 1

Where the hell did you get THAT from? I said no such thing, I was ONLY referring to last night's results.

okie dokie. my bad. i guess i read it wrong. i forgot who i was replying to.

I want to comment a little bit on the music ensemble topic. First off, ME is a caption near and dear to my heart, a caption I've judges extensively in the fall over the last twenty years more than any other. While I've never judged it in DCA (and never will), I still feel qualified to discuss it.

Reading was 5th in ME last night. I'm sure their staff is angry and up set about this (I know I would be, justified or not). I don't know the judge, but I can tell you Reading has some pretty major ensemble issues, both in terms of last night's performance (the opening minute in particular continues to be a complete mess) and with the overall design of the show at certain points (especially during several mash-up segments, and anytime there's a groove going on). Are these deal-breaker problems? The performance issues absolutely are, the design issues may be...but I don't believe so. Bucs' staff knows and understands this. Expect to see their work in ME to drive that number up rapidly.

Atlanta and Cadets2 have difficult programs that were performed well from an ensemble standpoint, and Fusion's show while not as challenging is being performed at a very high level right now. It shouldn't surprise anyone that those corps were ahead of Reading, though on a different night they might not be. Cabs have some incredibly difficult ensemble moments, most of which are approaching the "masterful" level of performance. Their music ensemble is, as a DCI Hall of Famer used to say, "As tight as a fish's rear....water-tight."

Right now, corps only receive credit for what is *achieved*, not for what is merely *attempted*. Cabs, Fusion, Atlanta, and Cadets2 are *achieving* at a higher level than Bucs are in Music Ensemble.

Last night was also a really good example of how problems in one caption may or may not affect another. Take Cadets2 for example. They have some issues in brass, no question (none are major)...though it's a much better line than they had last year. The thing is, those issues last night were related to the brass caption and bullets on that sheet almost exclusively, but really didn't affect the music ensemble caption, where they are very strong.

On the other hand, you have Windsor Regiment. Their whole show (ballad aside) was basically eight minutes of ensemble tear. There is no question in my mind they deserve better in almost every other caption, but those numbers were torpedoed by the fact that had trouble rubbing two notes together for most of the night. So there's the other side of that coin.

Now, if you want to discuss a real head-scratcher and caption that should have corps staffs and DCA administration having a real WTF? moment this morning, check out the percussion numbers.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4