PPL Patibulation - Chester, PA -- 6 July 2014

Even if you did say Cadets were gonna take it all, SO WHAT?!?!?!?! So many people are on Bluecoats' bandwagon. Why NOT stand behind Cadets?!?! Bluecoats are good, Crown is good, Cadets are good. #### straight I want Cadets to take it all. It's time for Cadets fans to stop walking on eggshells about whether or not Cadets can take the Championship.

People are on Bluecoats bandwagon because they like them and yes, they are good! I don't like the taste of crow :) I start tooting my horn right at San Antonio but let me tell you that horn is polished and ready to blow not blue!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I think everyone here agrees Cadets can take it all, but realistically, there are three other powerhouses in the mix as well. I think it makes for a much better season this way. This years talent across the board is truly incredible.

...and then there were two. Which two?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

lol...

Some additional thoughts on the corps last night

Spirit - vast improvements since I saw them in Chambersburg - all captions much stronger. I understand they are adding a 30' tree as the visual focal point. You can already see how the entire program is written around it, so its addition will really help clarify. Brass has a very nice sound and the audience around me really enjoyed the program. Guard is effective and enjoyable to watch, adding to the program with class. Horn sound is very nice, full, balanced. Percussion is both well-featured and well-integrated. Overall their strongest offering in years and one I'd expect to grow and grow until finals!

Boston - obviously a very talented corps which is working hard. You get the feeling watching the program that the membership isn't "loving it" -- just from an energy perspective. Feet are the toughest we've seen from them - and in spots they are all over the place. Tempos very challenging. The visual design is an issue. I'd love to see the guard lose the "animal mask" after the first tune -- once the "character" is established... this would allow them to better emote and engage with the audience, and frankly, allow them to see better. The ballad solo was lovely - but gets lost all the way in the corner. The entire ballad should be restaged, including eliminating that compact block that marches into the corner. You're giving the audience some lush melody and it's mitigated with the current staging. Percussion section is very talented and I like the book - however again, visual staging isn't the best. Put the line front and center a few times. All in all this is a tough program that has grown. I'd imagine by finals they'll place 10-8 and wonder what could have been with a different design.

Bluecoats are in the big dance. Make no mistake - this corps could win it all. I get the distinct feeling they will finish 2nd in Indy - the program is/will be extremely well performed and extremely popular - however they will likely run up against BD or Cadets for the crown - and both staffs have such experience in that situation. Reminds me a bit of Crown 2009 when the Grass is Always Green program came oh so close. The guard is much stronger than I remembered them only a week ago, however the staging is a little far back from the audience for most of the program... Overall this is THE show of 2014 and it could very well carry them all the way to a championship. The crowd ate it up and lept to their feet with a massive ovation, roaring approval!

Crown, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, has an issue of focus in the program. I think it would be improved dramatically by trimming back a bit on the sequential tosses by the guard, the crap on the field, and the three ? "mosh pits" in the middle of the field with the brass & guard. Eliminate one of those, shorten the second tune / percussion break and speed the intro to the ballad and the corps has a real shot of repeating as champs. Brass is very good, guard is once again strong & percussion is MUCH improved. Well done Crown.

Cadets are the best overall corps right now - at least until they meet up with BD. Very balanced. The program is a master class in "focus" - the audience knows exactly where to watch and listen throughout. Multiple tempos and fantastic features, a wonderful brass sound and fantastic percussion once again. The issue with this program is a lack of "wow" moments. I'd suggest they shorten a bit of part 1 & part 2 and add to the end. They need a few wow moments in drill, as the program gets a little dull. You are obviously drawn in by the focused design and wonderful execution - but the drama is missing. Cadets are masters at tweaking programs and it will be interesting to see where they take this one. Could be all the way to #11, time will tell!

Something funny about my claim? I've never known .5 spreads 3 (or more likely 4-5) ways as indicated a clear leader... especially when the only consistency in the sub captions is that they are changing hands regularly. If the Cadets are a clear leader, then I suppose that they can relax... I assure you they are not relaxing.

No drumcorps are cleaning, fixing, updating, and working more than others. And by these scores, none have any reason or cause to clean, fix, etc. any differently than the rest.

darn people here are sooo touchy... there is nothing funny about your claim. The sentence was just funny in that it seemed contradictory even though I got and agreed with what you were sayin.. :sigh:

I do not mean they're running away with it. But it is true that:

7/6: Cadets lead by 0.6

7/5: Cadets lead by 0.45

6/29 and 7/3: Cadets lead by 0.4

That's all I'm saying -- Cadets maintaining and slightly widening their lead. GE has consistently been in their corner, and they also tend lately to do well in Visual Proficiency and Percussion, about 0.2 down in Brass.

Your comparison is only with the next in line... and I believe that one of those shows that you mentioned had a different corps in second. The relationship of spread is greater than 2 corps, and it has been closing. Especially when you add the first read performance in Akron where there was more than 2 points spreading the 3 corps that have been travelling together and are competitive with each other. I would also point to the changes in several captions that have occurred over the course of 3 or 4 shows. These changes don't indicate a single direction for any 1 group... the changes indicate competition. You are pointing out the GE and Visual Prof. scores... but by cherry picking, you ignore the converse or otherwise blurry trends of the other captions.

Everybody on here that is making blanket claims are indulging in wishful thinking. While the trend placement of these 3 corps is somewhat consistent... the finals placement of the corps is not. They are competitive. When groups are competitive, there is LITTLE clarity, not more. That's my point. We typically do not see this type of competition and the scores to back it up. We usually know that 1 out of 2 groups is going to win by the end of the 2nd week. I don't think we are going to know who out of about 4 or 5 are going to win until the final performance is over.

• Like 1

darn people here are sooo touchy... there is nothing funny about your claim. The sentence was just funny in that it seemed contradictory even though I got and agreed with what you were sayin.. :sigh:

My text lacks the dry, unexcited tone with which it was intended to be delivered. I just figured that your "lol" found my assessment to be... well... laughable.

My text lacks the dry, unexcited tone with which it was intended to be delivered. I just figured that your "lol" found my assessment to be... well... laughable.

ok cool. I know Cadets are busily adding a bunch of things today and tomorrow ahead of tomorrow nights date with BD. I'm sure Coats are just as busy. Crown is practicing like crazy this week. I honestly think by next week some of the placements will swap and the gaps will open up..

Score gaps in the first week of the season is more of a reflection of a corps preparation, not necessarily what will happen in August. Cadets/Crown/Bloo are now cleaning up fairly quickly and the gaps have narrowed. It doesn't necessarily mean the gaps will continue to tighten as all corps will make changes at different times and then will have to clean them. It will and should be a tight race until the end and I'm not sure who will come out on top until all changes are in and everyone has competed in a few regionals.

Score gaps in the first week of the season is more of a reflection of a corps preparation, not necessarily what will happen in August. Cadets/Crown/Bloo are now cleaning up fairly quickly and the gaps have narrowed. It doesn't necessarily mean the gaps will continue to tighten as all corps will make changes at different times and then will have to clean them. It will and should be a tight race until the end and I'm not sure who will come out on top until all changes are in and everyone has competed in a few regionals.

Should be. But that could change tonight if :gasp: BD 3 points Coats...