PPL Patibulation - Chester, PA -- 6 July 2014

That's a very big "could take it all in Indy". As much as I like blue this year, it is not the show that will take it all.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

But, of course, you have no particular dog in the hunt, right? :P

• Like 1

This is the second time Crown has taken some time off to fix things.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Yep -- Crown has changed their schedule (not once but TWICE) because their show is so broken (last night they only won music and visual -- what's wrong with them??) so they're taking time off to fix stuff. :doh:

Irving you're making me giggle :-) But you keep honking -- I'm enjoying it !

• Like 1

The Cadets show is well executed, and has a lot going for it, and its entertaining and it will score well. But this 2014 show from them is far from cutting edge, nor is it anything remotely like " The Zone ", Championship Show, which was definately edgy and cutting edge, imo. This 2014 Cadets show is heavy on " This- is- what- I believe ", updated to " This- is- what - I- believe, and- we're- pretty- sure- this- is- what- all- you- Patriotic- Americans- believe", Americana heartstrings pull show we get almost like clockwork from the Cadets each and every decade or so. Whats next year, something from Bernstein, or WSS ? The formulaic cycle we get from The Cadets is generally a show that is cutting edge, that causes some level of controversy, followed up with a show meant to stifle those forces out there with a show meant to pander to audiences. But it all works. Thats because when you have talented marchers, coupled with name talent staff ( You're the 2nd wheel in the Cadevaliers Trifecta ),.. its no exgaggeration... you can literally play " Jingle Bells " and be guaranteed the judges will love it and you'll finish in the top 3 of DCI if you are The Cadets.

Sully said if he had his way, they'd probably revisit WSS every 10 years forever. I think it was Sully, anyway.

So in the Cadets Hop era (34 years I think), we have 3 WSS shows, 2 WW2 shows, 3 Bernstein shows that aren't entirely WSS, and 4 Copland shows. That leaves 22 years (65% of Hop's era) that don't fit this mold, though some of those years still staying true to Cadets Americana (either American composers or American topics).

This is the second time Crown has taken some time off to fix things.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

No, it was scheduled all along, it's not like they called off all shows so they could hunker down.

• Like 1

No, it was scheduled all along, it's not like they called off all shows so they could hunker down.

No no no I heard Jim Coates, Matt Harloff and Michael Klesch leaving critique last night talking about clearing the schedule and finding some place quiet down in the Carolina's so they could fix up this clunker !!

But, of course, you have no particular dog in the hunt, right? :P

Did you hear me say Cadets were going to take it all; even though they are closer to achieving that than Blue is? Even when I don't place expectations on the Cadets they end up right where they usually are come Indy.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Just saw cadets two. A lot of potential here, drums overwhelming the brass right now. Hopefully that will balance out as the season progresses and the eight or so brass holes are filled. Should be a great program by labor day!

It's a perfect night for drum corps in a perfect venue.

Also saw the show last night... Cadets2 were significantly improved since their first show on June 21. Still have much work to do, but like you said.... a lot of potential!!!

No no no I heard Jim Coates, Matt Harloff and Michael Klesch leaving critique last night talking about clearing the schedule and finding some place quiet down in the Carolina's so they could fix up this clunker !!

I'm glad I wasn't sitting at my computer having my coffee when I read this! :spitting:

Super stoked for lacrosse this weekend, if love to see some corps meet up and just observe a great show live in person for once this year.

Smart of Crown to schedule long stretches off to make changes/clean. BD has been doing that for years. Cadets need to rethink their "labor camp" mentality and schedule some breaks on tour where kids can rest a bit. They are non-stop practice/shows/practice.