Corps Travel and Expansion

it's a real shame the weather was so bad...I think the crowd would have been remarkable.

The tractor pull going on across the street that same night was sold out, True story.

Jay

• Like 3

I understand there were more than 3,000 people in attendance at the North Carolina show in '05.

Not bad, considering the all-day rain... better than several other shows. But 3,000-plus people in a 16,000-seat (give or take) concert side looked small, compared to putting that same crowd into a smaller venue.

But I'm not sure the area was ready yet to host a championship weekend. Even though the proposed I&E venue (the convention center downtown) was really good.

And the free Chick-Fil-A food for those of us in the press box was a nice touch. :tongue:

I was privileged to work on the 'inside' of the Winston-Salem event. Jay is correct on the Renegades' number, but it was covered by sponsorship through the efforts of a VERY courageous, ex-Sunriser who stuck his head way out on that project in the city where he served as a hotel & hospitality official. The event had GREAT promise as a site for a future DCA Championship. The rainy weekend was devastating, to say the least. Not only that it killed the walk-up sales potential, as it rained right up to about an hour before the show, it led to the cancellation of what would have been a massive "drum corps" night downtown promotion that was getting lots of local promotion and had numerous bars and restaurants onboard. They've had similar Friday night promotions that drew thousands, this one built around the DCA event the following night.

Fran is correct about the attendance, it was roughly 3500. Not bad under the circumstances and, frankly, not significantly less than the draw in Scranton. What made the Winston-Salem crowd unique, is that it was primarily non-drum corps types, mostly local, including high school band groups. I can tell you, that kind of 'local' attendance really never happened in Allentown. This was to be an annual issue with the natural surface, but the home stadium of Wake Forest issue was worked-out with that school being fully on board with all of this.

To put it bluntly, the Winston-Salem project team's 'ship' was blown out of the water, by the water. Easily one of the saddest developments (by rain) in drum corps I ever encountered. The 2006 DCA Championship leads that category, unfortunately.

Edited by Fred Windish

I was privileged to work on the 'inside' of the Winston-Salem event. Jay is correct on the Renegades' number, but it was covered by sponsorship through the efforts of a VERY courageous, ex-Sunriser who stuck his head way out on that project in the city where he served as a hotel & hospitality official. The event had GREAT promise as a site for a future DCA Championship. The rainy weekend was devastating, to say the least. Not only that it killed the walk-up sales potential, as it rained right up to about an hour before the show, it led to the cancellation of what would have been a massive "drum corps" night downtown promotion that was getting lots of local promotion and had numerous bars and restaurants onboard. They've had similar Friday night promotions that drew thousands, this one built around the DCA event the following night.

Fran is correct about the attendance, it was roughly 3500. Not bad under the circumstances and, frankly, not significantly less than the draw in Scranton. What made the Winston-Salem crowd unique, is that it was primarily non-drum corps types, mostly local, including high school band groups. I can tell you, that kind of 'local' attendance really never happened in Allentown. This was to be an annual issue with the natural surface, but the home stadium of Wake Forest issue was worked-out with that school being fully on board with all of this.

To put it bluntly, the Winston-Salem project team's 'ship' was blown out of the water, by the water. Easily one of the saddest developments (by rain) in drum corps I ever encountered. The 2006 DCA Championship leads that category, unfortunately.

in 1975 at finals it rained. it should have been called off but wasn't. after that we never got the crowds of 18,0000 - 22,000 we had in the past. and i think you have the attendance numbers fred. rain is a killer.

No question, Don. The potential of rain and eventual happening at just the wrong time is more scary than many people understand. This topic makes for great discussions. Right now, DCI gets slammed because it presents its big event indoors at Indy. Yes, there are compromises with that, but weather that week could become an organizational budget-buster change that will impact for years to come. Just one more reason why our present FanNetwork revenue capability is a valuable insurance policy. Actual live audience size can become a little less essential, as crazy as that sounds to some.

Edited by Fred Windish

From the sounds of all this Winston -Salem might have turned out with a good week-end to have been the best DCA Championships in many years .I sure wouldn't close the door on another try there .Considering the bad weather a crowd of mostly non drum corps fans of 3,500 .I'd take that anyday for any show .Not sure of the numbers in Rochester ,the last years i attended as a fan where 2007 and 2008 .Didn't think the crowd has that large .

From the sounds of all this Winston -Salem might have turned out with a good week-end to have been the best DCA Championships in many years .I sure wouldn't close the door on another try there .Considering the bad weather a crowd of mostly non drum corps fans of 3,500 .I'd take that anyday for any show .Not sure of the numbers in Rochester ,the last years i attended as a fan where 2007 and 2008 .Didn't think the crowd has that large .

if they had those numbers for a championship DCA would have to fold. DCA pay's for the corps to compete. all the member corps. 3500 and they are done.

Well Don ,i think Fred said here that Scranton was near or around that number ,So i guess that was another reason to leave Scranton ?

Well Don ,i think Fred said here that Scranton was near or around that number ,So i guess that was another reason to leave Scranton ?

I think he means the Scranton regional held the last few years, not Championships when it was in Lackawanna.