2014 Color guard('s)

I have not seen a topic about it this year so wallah here it is. :P

and what are your thoughts on the 2014 guards? I'd be interested in hearing. I know what impresses me - but I'm no guard expert...

I love Bluecoats guard this year.

Cadets guard is much improved.

Crowns guard seems to have taken a slight step back - or maybe they are just less focused upon in the program

BD guard looks impressive on videos - but I haven't seen them live yet

i'll just rank top 5. 1, Bluecoats- because they managed to beat BD in guard which is something i never thought i would ever see happen. 2, Cadets- it is just soooo clean. 3, BAC- that rifle line.... 4, BD- yes i have them all the way down here, they are still good but a lot of guards are very improved from last year and i don't know if they can hold on to best CG this year. 5, SCV- they are really good and i feel they deserve more credit for there hard work.

SCV's guard is one of their main strengths this year. I think they will place 2nd to BD (who no matter what, will win guard)

I would agree with most of this. Blooo and cadets are certainly performing much stronger this early in the season compared to years past. Although, to me, it seems as if those two shows have much more unison and simplicity of parts.

I would disagree with crowns guard taking any steps back. They have the highest guard score as of the last show date. Besting both bloo and cadets in guard, while still not performing at as high of a level considering the overall difficulty. Along with having way more layers of design than both the cadets and bloo combined. This bodes well for them as the season develops. If anything it seems as if crown is really going after the guard trophy, in terms of having all those layers that blue devils bring to the table every year. My guess is it comes down to crown and devils again for guard this year. Other guards don't come close to the demand and layers being offered by these two elite guards. Devils may not be scoring well now. But it is a push to the end. And they always show up!

Crown's guard doesn't seem as prominent/featured as much this year and just has too many sequential tosses. I think the order will be

1. BD

2 SCV

3 Crown

4 Cadets

5 Bluecoats

6 Cavies

7 Blue Stars

8 Phantom

I am not sure I think BD guard should win but they will, its a written law!!!!

The guards this year are fantastic. Bcoats are doing great given the fact that they actually BD their first meeting. SCV has an effective guard. Cadets good as usual and Crown will be in the hunt. BD's guard is amazing this year as always. They have won high guard since 2008. 6 years in a row. To me it's still their game to lose.

Agree with afd

It's blue devils to lose. 6 in a row ehem

Beating blue devils early season doesn't mean much of anything. It takes all summer to design and detail and coordinate layers. Groups that are clean and performing great right now. Probably don't have enough of those things to compete late season.

Beat them in august. Then, That means something.

BD's guard is good ( as always ) this year, but its quite noticeable to me that they do considerably less equipment work this season than their immediate placement peers. Even several of the lower placing Corps Guards do a LOT more equipment work ( which is more difficult to do ). My suggestion is for those Corps doing more equipment work to rethink this in the offseason. If there is little consequence to doing less of the more difficult equipment work, then scrap that, and do more dancing, gymnastics, gyrating, posing, and solo improv., etc with the Guards, as thats what the judges now seem to prefer and point reward.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I agree but its not about how much equipment work you do, its the range and variety you show, and that is why BD always wins.

• Like 2