DCI's Essentials Collection - The Classics: A Must Buy

If DCI Titles were determined by how many captions were won, then we'd have to take back quite a few titles over the years of those that won them and give them to those whose total scores were lower, but won more captions. But of course thats silly and thats not how the system works. From listening to the" 93 Star cultists, we'd think that ' 93 Star won by 5 touchdowns and a field goal. ( or should have )

For sure. I was merely correcting your wrong quote that

the DCI Judges did't even think it was the best designed, best performed show for even THAT year (1993)

and saying that, yeah, a few judges thought that Star WAS indeed the best designed/performed show THAT year (1993).

FWIW, CBC 1993 is probably my all-time favorite drum corps show. I cheered LIKE CRAZY, losing my voice, when Star was announced in 2nd and Cadets had won; I was really bummed when Cadets lost Preview of Champions that year, and I was rooting for them all the way. To be honest I was a fan of Star 1993 during the summer of 1993. I loved their drum line, thought that percussion & brass sections were incredible, but I just didn't like the show. I think that show is akin to SCV 1980: a show a little bit ahead of its time & its judges (and many fans, including myself) from a design stand-point.

But even today, I still love Cadets 93 more than Star. But I do respect Star 93 and its place in the history of the activity

But even today, I still love Cadets 93 more than Star. But I do respect Star 93 and its place in the history of the activity

Same here.. and in the top 3 Corps in '93, I actually liked Phantom Regiment the most of the top 3 that year. I do credit '93 Star for their boldness that year however, even though they didn't win that year. They did get a lot of grief that year in some quarters, and to not win it, despite a quality Corps that year that could have, certainly must have been a bummer. But then they left DCI and the Star organization did go out and do some crowd pleasing things afterwards and that must have been satisfying for those in Star that participated in that.

Edited by BRASSO

Should re name this topic "Let's discuss Star 93 again". Their show was mesmerizing, haunting, genius and perfect, but they aren't on this DVD.

How about the shows that are? Some really great picks.

• Like 1

For sure. I was merely correcting your wrong quote that

and saying that, yeah, a few judges thought that Star WAS indeed the best designed/performed show THAT year (1993).

FWIW, CBC 1993 is probably my all-time favorite drum corps show. I cheered LIKE CRAZY, losing my voice, when Star was announced in 2nd and Cadets had won; I was really bummed when Cadets lost Preview of Champions that year, and I was rooting for them all the way. To be honest I was a fan of Star 1993 during the summer of 1993. I loved their drum line, thought that percussion & brass sections were incredible, but I just didn't like the show. I think that show is akin to SCV 1980: a show a little bit ahead of its time & its judges (and many fans, including myself) from a design stand-point.

Early season BRASS book for Cadets was stellar, but they watered too much by finals for it to be a favorite of mine. They took incredible and reduced it to meh.... I have a bootleg, early season book, tape that I listen to warts and all over the finals version.

Star '93 all the way.

There are copies of the entire '75 Muchachos show performance out there. I heard it played just a few years back as a matter of fact. ' Forget however if it was their prelims Performance or not, however. You are right. What a monster Corps they had that year. I saw them several times that summer .Its too bad they were using overage marchers and were disqualified after their Semi's in '75. Theres always a dispute on whether or not they would've beat Madison at Finals. My own personal opinion is.. probably not. As Madison that summer had a monster Corps too, and were deserving of their title. But I always felt a bit sad for the '75 Muchachos many marchers in that great Corps that season who did play by the rules, busted their tails all season long and were right there to give '75 Madison a run for their money at Finals, but never got their chance as the Muchachos Director let them down by knowingly marching overage marchers that season and were turned into DCI at Championships in Philly by The Cavaliers.

I know this is off topic here so this will be my last post about the '75 Muchachos. After many, many years of thinking about this, I thought the punishment was too severe and the age limit should of been raised a long time ago anyway.

I did buy the Essentials DVDs a week ago and hope to post some comments after viewing them a few times.

Early season BRASS book for Cadets was stellar, but they watered too much by finals for it to be a favorite of mine. They took incredible and reduced it to meh.... I have a bootleg, early season book, tape that I listen to warts and all over the finals version.

Star '93 all the way.

You should hear tapes I used to have of what their original percussion feature was like: 8 or 10 BDs, solo written like freaking flight of the bumblebee for drums!

Should re name this topic "Let's discuss Star 93 again". Their show was mesmerizing, haunting, genius and perfect, but they aren't on this DVD.

How about the shows that are? Some really great picks.

For sure: a lot of my favorites! I'm excited to hear Crossmen, Star 90, Cavaliers 90, and SCV 87 in remastered HD sound.

SCV 87 is one of my all-time favorites, but revisiting it recently the costuming was sooooo hideous and dated looking! Still a great show (maybe my wife's all-time favorite). It looks/sounds good on the Legacy DVD, I can't wait to see/hear it on remastered Blu-ray!!

Looking at the list again, there really are MANY great shows on this collection. I will of course have to buy it at some point in the near future; the first two compilations are really wonderful

I couldn't agree more. Which is why I chuckle every time I hear someone talk about 93 Star as if it was one of the greatest fan favorite spectacles of all time. Most people from today's activity have no earthly idea how hated that show was in it's time. And your parallels to the last two years of BD is spot on. In 20 years, everybody will probably love those shows as well.

Isn't that the point folks are trying to make? I frankly didn't appreciate Star 93 at the time. But in the rear view mirror, that show seems well ahead of it's time. And in retrospect I really appreciate how different that show was from the norm at the time in ways I personally find appealing (tremendous use of musical dynamics, tons of creative visual effects, effective use of dissonance). I actually see some parallels between BAC 14 and Star 93, which is one of the reasons I absolutely love what BAC is doing this year.

More on topic - the line up on this disk is so good it might actually cause me to purchase a Blue Ray player. 92 Crossmen, 87 SCV, and 95 Madison alone might be worth it. :cool:

<Snip the StarTalk>

More on topic - the line up on this disk is so good it might actually cause me to purchase a Blue Ray player. 92 Crossmen, 87 SCV, and 95 Madison alone might be worth it. :cool:

I am just excited by the prospect of hearing that show the way it's supposed to sound. The CDs from 95 were a dog's breakfast in the audio department... Fan Network is ok, I wonder what audio source they are working from?