Gone are the days......

A huge factor is the WGI influence. The Blue Devils staff is very influential in the winter guard idiom and the entire visual panel from both the Denver and Lacrosse panel wish to continue judging winter guards, as do all the caption heads. I have been told if you are out of the perceived norm at a WGI show you are required to do a inquisition type conference. This leads to tight spreads, politically safe placements and often a less accessible show to the paying audience. It also counteracts the concept that on any given day team A can beat team b,c,or d or vice versa. Change the judge leadership from the Artistic Director down, make caption heads be from outside the WGI activity or at least most of them and actually make the activity what it has previously been, a fair youth activity designed to entertain the public

:ninja:

Ah yes.... the "clandestine" way to secure a spot on the WGI roster!!!!!

A huge factor is the WGI influence. The Blue Devils staff is very influential in the winter guard idiom and the entire visual panel from both the Denver and Lacrosse panel wish to continue judging winter guards, as do all the caption heads. I have been told if you are out of the perceived norm at a WGI show you are required to do a inquisition type conference. This leads to tight spreads, politically safe placements and often a less accessible show to the paying audience. It also counteracts the concept that on any given day team A can beat team b,c,or d or vice versa. Change the judge leadership from the Artistic Director down, make caption heads be from outside the WGI activity or at least most of them and actually make the activity what it has previously been, a fair youth activity designed to entertain the public.

IMHO, each of the top shows is very entertaining and creative; and objective comparison is a real challenge. As much as I want 'my corp' to win/medal, I enjoy this activity a lot more when I can compartmentalize the placements and get into the flow of each show and appreciate it on that level. Copland, Fellini and Lovatt-Cooper are so varied in context and composition that I revert back to appreciating all of the music and marching fundamentals and how well they are executed.

• Like 2

I can always tell when the corps are in the midwest and one or more of their local favorites are "more entertaining" and "not getting the credit they deserve"

Reminds me of Star of Indiana getting booed constantly because Madison and their ten company fronts per show didn't win

• Like 2

I can always tell when the corps are in the midwest and one or more of their local favorites are "more entertaining" and "not getting the credit they deserve"

Reminds me of Star of Indiana getting booed constantly because Madison and their ten company fronts per show didn't win

It goes way beyond that. I did march with any of the corps that are in the race. It is like a new restaurant can never be better than the currently most powerful one or because they are not a chain. Most times the independent is much better than the change but does not have the budget or the PR department to get to the stop spot. . If the sheet says audience engagement that is what it means.

Or we can just keep doing the same until the activity dies due to lack of audience interest.

George - from my vantage point, this has nothing to do with "not getting the credit they deserve" as much as it does the too many names on DCI's judging roster who are....... dare I say it.... wait for it.... wait for it.... AFRAID of letting certain units "fall below" a certain score or placement. But the Right Honorable Cesario himself during a March 2014 interview regarding the new GE sheets / judging that the judges would now be able to evaluate more like an audience member. If that's the case, THEN DO IT!!!

Furthermore.... if judges are supposedly "trained" in their craft, then the "content" subcaptions should be treated similar to the old "demand" captions, which isn't happening.

Let's face it - also gone are the days when any given unit could win brass or percussion at any given show (or place in the top 3), and not win overall. No - I'm NOT saying go back to the tic system, but I dare anyone on today's rosters to tell me that they would have no problem scoring a top 3 corps in 4th place or lower in any given caption if the performance merited it!

George - from my vantage point, this has nothing to do with "not getting the credit they deserve" as much as it does the too many names on DCI's judging roster who are....... dare I say it.... wait for it.... wait for it.... AFRAID of letting certain units "fall below" a certain score or placement. But the Right Honorable Cesario himself during a March 2014 interview regarding the new GE sheets / judging that the judges would now be able to evaluate more like an audience member. If that's the case, THEN DO IT!!!

Furthermore.... if judges are supposedly "trained" in their craft, then the "content" subcaptions should be treated similar to the old "demand" captions, which isn't happening.

Let's face it - also gone are the days when any given unit could win brass or percussion at any given show (or place in the top 3), and not win overall. No - I'm NOT saying go back to the tic system, but I dare anyone on today's rosters to tell me that they would have no problem scoring a top 3 corps in 4th place or lower in any given caption if the performance merited it!

But WHICH audience member. I agree with the results and love the top corps. The middle tier that many say are getting underscored tend to bore me. So?

IMHO, each of the top shows is very entertaining and creative; and objective comparison is a real challenge. As much as I want 'my corp' to win/medal, I enjoy this activity a lot more when I can compartmentalize the placements and get into the flow of each show and appreciate it on that level. Copland, Fellini and Lovatt-Cooper are so varied in context and composition that I revert back to appreciating all of the music and marching fundamentals and how well they are executed.

Totally agree. The diversity in the corps is incredible and I love the differences. I enjoy it much more on an artistic and execution level. Top shows this year are all terrific and very different from one another

IMHO, each of the top shows is very entertaining and creative;

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this attitude expressed by you might be considered highly elitist in some quarters. For example, I find several of my most favorite and entertaining Corps shows found below, and in a few cases well below the Corps like Cadets. For example, the Oregon Crusders won't make Top 12 this year, but after watching and listening to them yesterday they are far FAR more entertaining, fresh, creative, innovative, progressive than what the Cadets are producing this year, even though the Cadets have the marcher talent, have a well executed and performed production, and are loved by the judging community whose average age is north of 50.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

To be honest... I don't believe the top corps have the most entertaining corps year in and out. This year? No different with few exceptions: Bluecoats, Cavies.... Ill enjoy BD, SCV, Crown, Cadets etc.... But to me corps like Troopers, Crossmen, Blue Knights, Blue Stars are more entertaining. It's all opinion mind u but the top tier sometimes is very stale.