Gone are the days......

Wait a minute...maybe they dId deserve a 19 at semis, and the judge gave it to them. After all, on any given day or night...maybe you just disproved your thesis.

Ironic that so many people complain about "slotting," but when a judge puts Corps A above Corps B after Corps B had been consistently beating Corps A, then something in the system must be wrong, or some rogue judge is clearly putting their personal bias into the score because they were cut by Corps B over 20 years ago. When it comes to fandom and someone's favorite corps, I think that people actually WANT corps to be slotted......so long as their corps is the one who stays on top. :wink:

• Like 1

Yup...for me 2012 BK 'Avian' might be my personal favorite show of the past 4 or 5 years based on my enjoyment level, yet I did not disagree with where they placed, as much as I loved watching/hearing them.

Another huge factor in the enjoyment equation is for those of us who may never have marched DCI, but now have a son or daughter in one of the top groups. Seeing up close (and though interaction with that kid) what the process involves to keep perfecting the details of a show at the highest level is rewarding way beyond the ultimate medal results in August. Couple that with quality arrangements of great music and wonderful instruction by the staff....well...it's a once in a lifetime high for a parent.

• Like 1

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this attitude expressed by you might be considered highly elitist in some quarters. For example, I find several of my most favorite and entertaining Corps shows found below, and in a few cases well below the Corps like Cadets. For example, the Oregon Crusders won't make Top 12 this year, but after watching and listening to them yesterday they are far FAR more entertaining, fresh, creative, innovative, progressive than what the Cadets are producing this year, even though the Cadets have the marcher talent, have a well executed and performed production, and are loved by the judging community whose average age is north of 50.

I have to totally agree here...

Take last night, I was in Muscatine, didn't go to Dekalb because my fiancee's kids, 6 and 9, wanted to goto a show, didn't figure a TOC was good place to start at that age, attention span wise. The 9 year old is a girl, she likes the pits, plays marimba at her school and loves it. Showed her Fan Network and she was like I wanna go to one of these! Anyways, at the show, first Corps, Louisiana Stars...Never seen them before, didn't know what I was gonna get but I figured since they were the frist corps to compete, they wouldn't be that good...I kept telling her all day the frst 4 would be good but the last four will blow your socks off. As soon as Stars started playing I got a big smile on my face, i looked over to the 9yr old and she was like WOW, this is awesome!

Stars were amazing for what they were. First show...ever, and they sounded like veterans! I was like are you kidding me? The were pretty clean, the music was highly recognizable, the show was enjoyable and entertaining...i found myself thinking, i like them better than the Cadets show I saw last night in LaCrosse, wow! The drum line was snappy and clean, the horns came around a corner, turned and blasted the crowd with trills and power, intonation was on point...man I love these kids!! After the show both me and my Fiancee jumped up in a standing O whooping and hollering as did most of the crowd there. I couldn't beleive what I had just seen. So good!! and here i am today talking all about them. Those of you that like old school Drum Corps, Louisiana Stars are for you.

That is how you start your first season ever, make the crowd LOVE you. play music ppl can get behind, tap their feet, move their heads, all that, its music ppl.

As for the Cadets...sigh, they are just too boring for me this year, they don't get me excited. Yet, they will probably win because they are the Cadets. Like others have said in this thread...it doesn't matter how bad you are from one night to the next. If your BD, Cadets or Crown you have a shot, everyone else, you don't

The most entertaining shows i've seen this year are: Bluecoats, Colts, Crown, Spirit, Boston, Cavies, Madison and Louisiana Stars.

Yup...for me 2012 BK 'Avian' might be my personal favorite show of the past 4 or 5 years based on my enjoyment level, yet I did not disagree with where they placed, as much as I loved watching/hearing them.

Wouldn't DCI be better for you if there were more shows like "Avian"? Does that suggest that perhaps DCI would be better if its judging system were changed to reward shows like "Avian" more than those that scored above it?

Just curious why this is a problem when, in fact, there can be only one winner at any given show or during any given season.

What do we call the team that loses the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Olympics, the local high school band competition...?

Well, I think the word "loser" is used fairly infrequently because nowadays it often implies a moral judgement: "he's such a loser" and so forth. I mean, who here is prepared to refer to BD 2013 or Crown 2012 as "those losers"? And if BD were losers last year, what does that make Pioneer?

And be HONEST in your comments. Cadets didn't feature their drum line? They have SEVERAL long features - front and center.

Perhaps not quite so much front when center this year as in the past, given the wall right behind the pit.

• Like 3

Suffice it to say I find several corps on YOUR list quite boring - one exceptionally so

My point? Say something nice. Be positive.

He did " say something positive " in his remarks above. He even expressed exuberance on what the positives were he saw, named those positives, and then related what his daughter found as " positive ". He only briefly mentioned what he did not like ( he's entitled to that without your rancor ,isn't he ? ). His review was almost entirely favorable and positive to many of the Corps from my assessment of his observations. I guess his remarks mostly flew right over your head, or the fact he said something unfavorable to your Corps blinded you to the totality of his remarks that on the whole I found to be quite " positive ", as a matter of fact. Oh well, for sure we all see things quite differently on here from time to time. There is no question about that. That said, I do " get " that when our favorite Corps or our opinions are not that of others, it is easy to fall prey to that and easily get annoyed by that sometimes. It happens to all of us from time to time.

Edited by BRASSO

Perhaps not quite so much front when center this year as in the past, given the wall right behind the pit.

Much of the Cadets battery awesomeness this year happens in backfield or on the move.....running backwards while executing licks at all dynamic levels is incredibly challenging but not as likely to grab the crowd's attention as a 30 second shredding exercise parked in field front. I love how a line can be seamlessly featured while simultaneously integrated into the musical arrangement and drill.

And you've made THAT point numerous times. Unless you are sitting in the first 15 rows in the center it isn't blocking anything. And mostly those seats go EMPTY. And at larger venue it is lower than the first row.

So I'd suggest you find something else to hate on in the production. That one is a little lame. IMO.