TOC - Warrensburg MO

Star had one of the most difficult drum books I've ever seen if you ask me.

Star 93 was a demanding drum book, mostly because it was written with a level of musicality that really hadn't been seen on the field before. There were "notier" books prior to that, but they were ram-first musicality-later type books.

Something that was not discussed much was SCV's percussion placement. Prior to this show I believe they have not lost in drums including against BD and had some signifcant spreads aginst them. Almost a full point drop from a week prior. If they had placed near where they have been placing their total score could have been a full point up. Maybe they were a bit off, but I did not see a drop of .7 under where they were even when several different judges panels had them consistently over BD. Just something to think about IMO.

Something that was not discussed much was SCV's percussion placement. Prior to this show I believe they have not lost in drums including against BD and had some signifcant spreads aginst them. Almost a full point drop from a week prior. If they had placed near where they have been placing their total score could have been a full point up. Maybe they were a bit off, but I did not see a drop of .7 under where they were even when several different judges panels had them consistently over BD. Just something to think about IMO.

Leading up to Warrenburg, Vanguard's toughest competition in drums had been Blue Knights dating back to June 28th when they last saw Blue Devils. They were only ahead of Blue Devils at the time by .1. Given Vanguard's (and Phantom when Rennick was with them) penchant for coming out clean and starting the season way ahead, only to get passed up by other groups as they cleaned up would seem to come into play here. A lot can happen in two and a half weeks.

Edited: poor wording that could have been construed as a knock on Blue Knights percussion (which was not intended).

Edited by actucker

Actually SCV saw BD on 6/29 and SCVs percussion opened the spread to a .4 lead over BD

Actually that last competition together on 6/29 SCV beat Devs by .4 in drums. I know a few weeks have passed since then but I did not see a .7 spread at all and a 1.1 point jump by BD in this on caption alone over SCV. Even early season those that have seen these two lines in person talked about how great they were the first few shows. They both have improved greatly but not that much of a spread over SCV's line.

• Like 1

Actually that last competition together on 6/29 SCV beat Devs by .4 in drums. I know a few weeks have passed since then but I did not see a .7 spread at all and a 1.1 point jump by BD in this on caption alone over SCV. Even early season those that have seen these two lines in person talked about how great they were the first few shows. They both have improved greatly but not that much of a spread over SCV's line.

Whoops. Missed that one. You're right. Still, anything can happen in 2 and a half weeks. Something worth noting, is that on the recap for Riverside where they were .4 up, the judge had their number upside down (perf over comp). Generally bad news early season, as it suggests your outplaying your content. Might shed some light on why they are where they are now in percussion.

On the 28th, they were one point under in comp/perf while Blue Devils were down 4 from their comp number, suggesting they had more room to grow at the time.

Edited by actucker

Have you watched some of BD's lot vids? They were *extremely* dirty until about a week ago, but they must have done some serious cleaning in a short period of time, because the difference is literally night and day — I'm not the least bit surprised they're beating everyone now, they took it up about a dozen notches and are firing on ALL cylinders at this point. Not to say that SCV is bad by any means, but I have rarely in my 30+ years of drum corps seen a drumline clean up so much so fast like this BD line has. It's so ridiculous my first instinct was that they were playing poorly at those early shows on purpose lol.

Edited by WestCoaster
  • Like 1