Why now is better than before, new better than old

I think new is often better for reasons expressed previously, but there are exceptions. In my listening experience, I have never heard a better recording of Sousa marches than the early '60s "Hail Sousa" recording by the legendary William Revelli and his University of Michigan Symphony band.....a 100 piece ensemble playing with the nuance and precision of a chamber group.....just one example that is an exception to the rule of progress.

• Like 1

I think new is often better for reasons expressed previously, but there are exceptions. In my listening experience, I have never heard a better recording of Sousa marches than the early '60s "Hail Sousa" recording by the legendary William Revelli and his University of Michigan Symphony band.....a 100 piece ensemble playing with the nuance and precision of a chamber group.....just one example that is an exception to the rule of progress.

That's a *great* example of what we're talking about here. I've heard that recording and you're spot-on.

So new is better than old.

Look, I'm all for the current direction of what we currently call "drum and bugle corps," but this is a pretty careless blanket statement.

The rules of football have been pretty similar for 50 years and has never been designated as a niche activity. People have obsessed over football's rules, records and achievements. There may be trends and improvement in equipment and nutrition, but the rules are the same.

Drum corps went from being local outreach groups to keep kids off the street to being expensive regional organizations. We're still trying to figure out how this activity works.

Nobody programs a current show to pass the rigors of a tick system. The judging system is fundamentally different from 30+ years ago. Hell, it's very different from what it was 15 years ago.

There will always be changes and trends in this activity. There will be good years and bad years. Some years will emphasize visual over music, and vice versa.

• Like 1

Why do we insist that people and activities don't get better through the years?

I have no idea.. as I'm WAY better now than years ago, and my activities are far more stellar too.

• Like 2

This topic will go no where with the old timers on DCP. "Drum and bugle corps" apparently stopped appearing years ago and the activity hasn't progresses since the mid-80's. It stopped being good when there were more than 20 sets for a whole show and a third valve as added.

This topic will go no where with the old timers on DCP. "Drum and bugle corps" apparently stopped appearing years ago and the activity hasn't progresses since the mid-80's. It stopped being good when there were more than 20 sets for a whole show and a third valve as added.

Ahh, the ignorance of youth, right?

/sarcasm

Some of the biggest supporters of modern DCI here on DCP are what you would call "old timers".

• Like 8

Didn't you just say in another thread that you were really sick of hearing about it? That begs the question why you would choose to even visit this thread, let alone jump into the discussion and provoke an argument.

• Like 4