Why now is better than before, new better than old

This was said earlier but I am not great at saving the quotes. Back in the late 70's and Corps still had a base of local players. They were not music majors and didn't have plans on being a band director after college. A lot of us had relatives scrape together a couple hundred bucks so they could send us away for a few weeks over the summer. I know that parole officers had to called before some Corps left on tour. Comparing those corps members and their motivations to corps members today is apples and Oranges. It is like the Ted Williams comment we had fun were better for the experience but it was a completely different world. It is somewhat like comparing Blast which was professional to a corps with only a month or so to get its act together. I do think that in those days a corps could hit it right and move from 10th place to top 3 just by having a great performance. I think that today the way judging happens that by the first week of the season the top 5 are pretty much determined and the excitement of an upset or a corps just hitting its mark and having a good day and beating a usually better corps Is much less of a possibility.

90% of todays marchers would quit doing Drum Corps ( or never begin it ) if they had to stand at attention on a starting line for 20 minutes as they underwent Corps inspections by some old goat that was as old as some of today's DCI judges. I wonder myself sometimes why I put up with that nonsense where every once in awhile some MM woould keel over and faint away in the heat undergoing Corps inspections.

I think most people think of the Cadets when you mention Malagueña.

I think of Stan Kenton, the Bronx Kingsmen and the Muchachos.

Truly worthless trivia fact #519...

The "crying indian" from the 70's commercials wasn't an indian at all. He was born in Louisiana to Sicilian immigrant parents.

Tony Gwynn hit .394 in the strike shortened 1994 season. With that said, for the 162 game stretch from July 27, 1993 to May 13, 1995 Tony Gwynn hit .402. Tony also held this average over 624 at bats (162 game season) versus Ted Williams' 1941 season where he only had 456 at bats (154 game season).

Source

Additional Article

I'm not going to diminish what the great player Tony Gwynn did in 110 games, when for comparison, we allow him rest and recuperation over the summer, then take 2 seasons and try and utilize the other 52 games the next season that as somehow comparable to a full season played entirely within one season and without a 3 month offseason for R & R. Ted Williams was hitting 418 coming into the final 2 weeks of the 1940 season, was spent, fatigued and tired., and struggled for 12 days, fell below .394 then got his average up to .3996 before the last day of the season.. a doubleheader... and Manager Cronin wanted to have him sit it out as .3996 is rounded off to .400. But the season long exhausted Williams would have none of it. He played the first game of the away doubleheader ( in Philly ) and went 4-5 putting him to .404. He could have sat out the 2nd game too, as Cronin insisted again, but Williams would have none of that either, and went 2 for 3 finishing in the last game of that full season at .406 for the season... incidentally, when the great hitter Tony Gwynn was once asked who he thought the greatest hitter that ever lived was, Gwynn replied :..." Ted Williams ".

Edited by BRASSO

ZigZagZIG: my old brain is apparently getting the better of me. For some reason I read a post by another person and thought it was you. I'm truly sorry for ranting at you! So, I need to say that my rant was meant to address caliswift, who said this:

This topic will go no where with the old timers on DCP. "Drum and bugle corps" apparently stopped appearing years ago and the activity hasn't progresses since the mid-80's. It stopped being good when there were more than 20 sets for a whole show and a third valve as added.

Again, I'm sorry for the mistake, Zig.

I'm not going to diminish what the great player Tony Gwynn did in 110 games, when for comparison, we allow him rest and recuperation over the summer, then take 2 seasons and try and utilize the other 52 games the next season that as somehow comparable to a full 162 game season played entirely within one season and without a 3 month offseason for R & R. Ted Williams was hitting 418 coming into the final 2 weeks of the season, was spent, fatigued and tired., and struggled for 12 days, fell below .394 then got his average up to .3996 before the last day of the season and Manager Cronin wanted to have himn sit it out as .3996 is rounded off to .400. But Williams played the first game and went 4-5 putting him to .404. HEcould have sat out the 2nd game, as Cronin insisted, BUT williams would have none of it, and went 2 for 3 finishing at .406 for the season of 1940. in the last day of the season going 4 for 5 in the first game of the doubleheader. Williams was benched by his Manager for the 2nd game, last game of the seaaon. But Williams would have none of it. He went straight to his Manager and told him that sitting out the second game wouldn't be right, and that he didn't want to back into it, hitting .404, but sitting out the last game. The Manager relented, and Williams went out and played the entire 2nd and final game and went 2 for 3 in the 2nd game of the doubleheader and the final game of the season, for the .406 mark.

Ted Williams was an amazing man. I totally get the difference in that Ted did it through one continuous season without time to rest. Even if you were to ignore the off season, it's still a two man conversation. It's a shame that Tony's .394 season was cut short by a strike that almost ruined the sport (you could argue it did ruin the sport). There's another argument about finding streaks in a 154 game season. If you stick to the number of games more players become part of the discussion.

Ted and Tony actually had close relationship. Last time Ted made an appearance at the all star game to throw out the first pitch it was Tony who helped him. Their relationship started when Ted began living in San Diego while Tony played for the Padres. In the rare instance where the Padres would have a rain out the local channel would air a 1 hour special of Ted and Tony talking about hitting. Two savants talking what they loved best. So sad that we've lost them both.

Yes, indeed caliswift.

I'd bet my house that any corps finishing from 4-8 this year would contend for gold 20 years ago, and would win gold 30+ years ago.

So you're saying that Boston Crusaders 2014 would contend for Gold with Cadets 1993 & Star 1993? Is that what you're saying?

Because I'm telling you Regiment 1993 (the third place corps in 93) would beat Boston 2014 and I don't think it would be very close - say 3-4 points or so gap under today's rules

• Like 2

So you're saying that Boston Crusaders 2014 would contend for Gold with Cadets 1993 & Star 1993? Is that what you're saying?

Because I'm telling you Regiment 1993 (the third place corps in 93) would beat Boston 2014 and I don't think it would be very close - say 3-4 points or so gap under today's rules

Not only that, but would outright beat Cadets 83 or 84.