Food Trucks and Fan-Fare - a new concept in show production

This food truck idea is a excellent idea, and @Garfield, if you are not making a huge profit from food concessions, then you are doing something wrong. In most venues, the ticket sales go to cover expenses, and concessions is the profit center.

Edited by cdm
  • Like 1

This food truck idea is a excellent idea, and @Garfield, if you are not making a huge profit from food concessions, then you are doing something wrong. In most venues, the ticket sales go to cover expenses, and concessions is the profit center.

thats been my experience also, never on ticket sales.....the extras are " Gravy " so to speak..lol I wonder with their food trucks only being there 2 hours would it be profitable for the food truck people aslo.. gonna have to have a mad rush FAST... before show.....food trucks are great though

Interesting. We've never experienced this. Food concession make about $2500 per year, but ticket sales let us clear about $25,000 per year.

We're apparently doing something right. The point is to do it "right-er". That is, get more BITS.

thats been my experience also, never on ticket sales.....the extras are " Gravy " so to speak..lol I wonder with their food trucks only being there 2 hours would it be profitable for the food truck people aslo.. gonna have to have a mad rush FAST... before show.....food trucks are great though

Naahhh.

Two hours of food time is plenty.

The key component is getting fans to the stadium early to eat.

Interesting. We've never experienced this. Food concession make about $2500 per year, but ticket sales let us clear about $25,000 per year.

We're apparently doing something right. The point is to do it "right-er". That is, get more BITS.

You are right about trying to do it "right-er". The vast majority of venues around the country make their profit from concessions. You should do a very detailed analysis of your food service to see how you should be making more profit. Low cost revamps of the menu can bring ridiculous profits. We sell a barbeque baked potato in our concessions that is a massive profit leader. The key to it is purchasing correctly (dont waste time with small potatoes. The larger potatoes are easier to handle, cost less per pound in bulk, and has heavy eye appeal to the customer.) Each potato costs us about ten cents, and total costs is about fifty-sixty cents with toppings, and bar b que beef. We sell them for five dollars. Dont make your menu too big, and you should make great profits. Basic things like popcorn should be raking in the profits. 25 - 30 cents to produce, and sell for a dollar plus.

Did they do that at the Manchester N.H. last night? Thought I read something about food trucks and then the show?

Edited by nysader

You are right about trying to do it "right-er". The vast majority of venues around the country make their profit from concessions. You should do a very detailed analysis of your food service to see how you should be making more profit. Low cost revamps of the menu can bring ridiculous profits. We sell a barbeque baked potato in our concessions that is a massive profit leader. The key to it is purchasing correctly (dont waste time with small potatoes. The larger potatoes are easier to handle, cost less per pound in bulk, and has heavy eye appeal to the customer.) Each potato costs us about ten cents, and total costs is about fifty-sixty cents with toppings, and bar b que beef. We sell them for five dollars. Dont make your menu too big, and you should make great profits. Basic things like popcorn should be raking in the profits. 25 - 30 cents to produce, and sell for a dollar plus.

Doing a "very detailed analysis" of financial things is something I have a little experience with ( :tounge2: ) and I appreciate your understanding of your food profit margins.

The fact is though that, even in our cheap seats, we make profit in dollars that is twice your great experience with BBQ potatoes per person. On our best seats we make more than four times your potato profits. And everyone has to buy a ticket to see the show. Stadium food is not generally considered health food or balanced (lower demand) and the booster concession stand has the physical limitation of not being able to serve all those who might care to eat in a 30 minute intermission window. Part of the rationale of having food trucks is allowing parents to easily feed their kids before the show without guilt.

We sell about 65% of the seats our stadium can hold so, to my eye, the best use of our skimpy available volunteer time should be spent getting more BITS.

When the stadium is full and we're looking for ways to tweak profits (besides getting a bigger stadium) I'll have the luxury of focusing on bigger potatoes, better BBQ sauce, and enticing more fans to eat them. Until then, it really doesn't matter if I've got good food margins if I can't get more people to the stands to eat.

But our show has never profited from food sales - the boosters always get that profit (so if they want to boost profits with BBQ, good for them). This year the food trucks paid a flat fee to serve at the stadium and the show, again, isn't making any of that profit (although we obviously get their entry fee).

I appreciate your "beef tips" but, until we pack the stadium, food profit is "small potatoes".

:silly:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Yes it was done in New Hampshire last night. The parent organization of BAC co hosted the show in Manchester with the Muchachos all age Corps. A few open class corps including Spartans and 7th Regiment and some all age groups. IA&M picked up the financial obligation of the show so that the show could be run. The team came up with food truck idea at one of the DCI Board consortium meetings from the Mandarins in Sacramento. Ticket sales for last nights show were up 55% year over year.

https://www.facebook.com/inspireartsandmusic

Yes it was done in New Hampshire last night. The parent organization of BAC co hosted the show in Manchester with the Muchachos all age Corps. A few open class corps including Spartans and 7th Regiment and some all age groups. IA&M picked up the financial obligation of the show so that the show could be run. The team came up with food truck idea at one of the DCI Board consortium meetings from the Mandarins in Sacramento. Ticket sales for last nights show were up 55% year over year.

https://www.facebook.com/inspireartsandmusic

Are there other variables to which the increased attendance can be credited?

How many food trucks were there?

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have a 50% increase in attendance because of food trucks!

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1