Carolina Crown: The future of DCI, or just a bad era like disco?

I am very glad you said "I don't think", because you included three of the shows I love...2004 Crown and 2005/2007 Cadets, where I thought the singing, drumspeak and narration worked VERY well. Now, 2008 Cadets, OTOH...

:shutup:

As for redoing an old show...while I liked Surf doing a Bayonne tribure show, IMO that is a one time deal...I would not want to see anyone redo the 27th Lancers show or BD of the 80's. I loved them back then (heck through the 70's 2-7 was my personal favorite corps most years), but IMO they are best left back then.

Now...reusing source material is fine, as long as it is done as a new show for this era.

IMO.

See? This is excellent. Mike liked those shows, I didn't. He probably listens to them, I don't (except for 2005 Cadets, see below). Which is good. Discussion is good. He respected my opinion, and I certainly respect his. We can agree to disagree without being disagreeable!

I would also add 2008 Cadets to Narration I didn't think worked well. And I actually do like and listen to 2005 Cadets (LOVE the huge note hold and crescendo towards the ending), I just skip over the drumspeak part.

As for re-doing an old show, I didn't mean exactly the same because there's been so much creative expansion from back then, I meant more of an homage to some kick butt shows from the past. Just a throw down of some of the best corps of the past, call it "Drum Corps Greatest Hits, Vol 1" - then you hear the opening of Channel One Suite, or the final push of Danny Boy and maybe a big 2 7 on the field, with double flags (no trampolines). To quote one of the staff from VK back in the late 80s/early 90s - "We want a great show, man. And if it turns out well competitively, then....far out"... To me, that quote should sum up drum corps.... Now, what is 'great', is open to interpretation.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the OP. These are just a few of the many reasons why we don't spend money on drum corps anymore. Show design has left us behind, we no longer find value in the shows because my wife and I don't find them entertaining anymore. Nothing I can do about it, nothing I really want to do about it. It is what it is. We've found other activities to invest our time and money in. Sad thing is though, I see and talk to many people that feel the same way.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1

"EDUCATIONAL IMPACT: (How does this benefit the students educationally?)

Most of the music majors inside these corps today will be exposed to electronics as a part of their

life. WGI and marching music already use such devices and indeed for some period of time.

Students will not play less or perform less. They will learn more and express more with more tools

at their disposal"

I am not seeing where the mixing board is part of this. The quoted proposal was fo the addition of electronic instruments; amplification had been in place for 5 years already when this proposal was made. The addition of electronic instruments does fit your quote quite nicely, however.

You need the mixer to produce these sounds. It is a component of the instrument. Think of it as the embouchure of the horn player. It is the first and last lines of adjustment for volume.

I have to agree with the OP. These are just a few of the many reasons why we don't spend money on drum corps anymore. Show design has left us behind, we no longer find value in the shows because my wife and I don't find them entertaining anymore. Nothing I can do about it, nothing I really want to do about it. It is what it is. We've found other activities to invest our time and money in. Sad thing is though, I see and talk to many people that feel the same way.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who miss the DCI of the old and are deciding to give up, but there are plenty of young folks replacing the old. DCI isn't dying, it's just assuring it has a fanbase for the future.

You just have to open your mind, accept things you are NOT going to change. Honor the past, but RESPECT the 'here and now,' and let them RUN with what is! Earlier, I suggested others of my 'vintage' dip their toes back into the water using FanNetwork (Multi-Cam). What you see will not be what you, nor I, once did. It will be FAR SUPERIOR in its brilliance and execution !

Different, of course. But so is our waistline!

The dammn thing works impressively, beautifully, on FanNetwork. I don't have much patience anymore with crowds, bleachers, expensive food, parking frustrations, and dirty bathrooms, etc. But, that's MY problem, not DCI's. Please give this all another look, maybe from a different perspective, but do it !

Drum corps is better than ever, in so many ways!