Change it or clean it

OK all you marching experts (which I am most certainly not) ... I have a question I'm dying to get opinions on.

In the final two weeks, should the goal of a corps be rewrites or just cleaning what already exists? At what point does a corps just live with the drill they have... and get it precise. Will judges reward cleanliness more... or brilliant design? I know many corps rewrite up until the end... Is it always the best idea?

OK all you marching experts (which I am most certainly not) ... I have a question I'm dying to get opinions on.

In the final two weeks, should the goal of a corps be rewrites or just cleaning what already exists? At what point does a corps just live with the drill they have... and get it precise. Will judges reward cleanliness more... or brilliant design? I know many corps rewrite up until the end... Is it always the best idea?

I think it depends on the extent of the changes. Minor changes that add GE and require minimal cleaning should be fine. It worked well for Crown last year, at least.

I think this entirely depends on the situation. If the corps is no where near cleaning it sufficiently and a solution is available perhaps. If they change hurts a category they are are low in, perhaps it's better dirtier. I think it's an issue by issue approach.

clean clean clean #1 at this point. Last week was the week for changes beyond body movement or simple guard changes. It takes about 2 weeks (tour time) to lock in large scale changes. You do it before Atlanta for 2 reasons.

1. judges been asking for it and it is not working.

2. You have time to clean it.

• Like 1

Also depends on how well that specific corps tackle changes in general. If a corps changes some drill or music, and grasps it pretty well, then they should be able to tackle any type of changes at any point in the season with no problem.

Personally, I like the new ending for Bloo but they are tweeking to make a run at the top spot. Spirit should dig in and clean instead of change. I think it is too late to make changes since the show isn't clean in some areas. But, I don't have my own personal drum corps so I really don't know what is best for every circumstance.

I suggest that rewrites are necessary if a show design is initially flawed, and the rewrites should continue until the kinks are generally worked out. For example, Carolina Crown 2014 had a good concept for a show this year. It looked better in the mind or on paper, but initially did not translate well to the field. They have had to make massive changes in order to get the show to a place where it practically makes sense. Crown now needs to stop changing the show, in my opinion, period and start to clean all the changes they have needed to make. The only changes they need to make at this point is making some things easier in order to clean them.

For other corps, like the Blue Devils, they need to change nothing and just cleaning to a championship this year. I have not like BD's shows in years and have even stopped watching them. BUT, they this staff consistently knows how to translate concepts to the field almost perfectly and knows how to clean them neatly. Very little needs changing.

Most corps at this point in the season can do nothing but clean, because they have run out of time to successfully make changes in addition to cleaning them well. I think from the Cavies down and clean their way into finals without needing to make bold changes that may cost them placement. If I were the troopers, however, I would take the chance and change the show to see if a run a 12th is possible for them. Crossmen, in 12th right now, should just clean and be content, as they have little chance of overtaking Madison. Much of the rewrite vs. clean, at this point, depends on where they are placed.

• Like 1

If judges won't miss it, change it. If it's an important design component, clean it!

If judges won't miss it, change it. If it's an important design component, clean it!

This is true!!!!! OC has their changes in and must clean clean clean. It is clean or die. LOL OK, maybe thats too drastic.