Buy an umbrella for DCI East :-\

Hey, rainshdw08, a non-show related weather question for you, that I'll post here as others might have had the same question. On radar maps, when there is no precipitation by a given location, (especially but not always at night, it seems), why does an echo appear (as blue shading on the NWS radar I'm looking at now) around some but not all radar stations? Right now it's not raining here in Cleveland, and the radar shows nothing but few blue flecks. But it's apparently also not raining in Jackson, MS, where the radar shows a wide blue ball.

Man...I had this big long explaination going...then I refreshed my screen on accident. grrr. gimme some time and I'll try again. I'll PM ya so I don't bore ppl here.

Basically its not ground clutter, its the radar in "clear air" mode in Jackson MS. In Cleveland, where they are thinking it might rain, its primed to catch precip eaiser versus clear air mode.

Radar doesn't tell us where the rain is, it tells us where the energy in the atmosphere is, generally speaking....which very much relates to all precip. How many times have you looked at the radar and thought, man this looks intense but outside, not so much? or WTH it's raining or snowing out and nothing is on the radar? Several if you pay attention to radar...this is why. you're seeing reflected energy versus actual rain.

It's all part of the corps experience...

Would it be an imposition to ask Fr. Andrew to try and utilize his pastoral influences for us re. the weather this weekend in Allentown ?

• Like 1

So theoretically what would happen if A-town was rained-out due to T-storms?

and I might add this would be the worst luck for me....new haven was rained out in June...and now the only other live show for me this year is A-town...

Of course, now we know that if it is rained out, it is your fault! :tounge2:

You are not going to Rutgers, are you? :augen51:

• Like 2

That is because they built the new J Birney to drain like this:

tilted-soccer-court.jpg

Now I know why the 2014 Bluecoats designed the show they did. Its brilliant.

• Like 6

So theoretically what would happen if A-town was rained-out due to T-storms?

and I might add this would be the worst luck for me....new haven was rained out in June...and now the only other live show for me this year is A-town...

IMO it would take non-stop heavy rain to cancel the event. allentown has run in mist, drizzle, even light rain. so although my umbrella comment was sarcastic, packing rain gear is a very good idea :-)

Funny story, in Cheyenne at the stadium 90 minutes before the show, as the gates were just opening up, I'm near the souvies and a Madison vendor asked me what it looked like out west since their view was blocked by a building. I told him honestly, this show is not going to happen. The skies were so dark as far as you could see from north to south and moving our way. Some fan who was the eternal optimist, overheard me and said, "I lived here 30 years and it's not gonna rain". I kept thinking to myself, the weather doesn't care if you have lived somewhere for 30 years, that has no basis for the weather to change. Some 30 minutes later, lightning is in the distance and the rain is starting up. I was surprised how long the show staff waited until they finally cleared the fans in the metal bleachers. The skies opened up and corps were having a tough time getting their equipment put away. We sit in the vehicles for a while and the show is called off. I'm not kidding you when I say the corps and staff members who were putting equipment away? The water was well over their ankles. As we are pulling out of the lot headed to Greeley, I see the fan sitting at a bus stop, no rain gear and just drenched from head to toe looking a lot like Forrest Gump. He saw me and unable to help, all I could do was give him a nod. Hopefully he had plans to attend DATR the next night.

Another good weather source is Eastern PA Weather Authority (EPAWA). Check them out on Facebook and Twitter. They were great this past winter for accurate predictions, and are contracted to do weather for the Muzikfest in Bethlehem starting 8/1. They will be worth checking out over the next few days.

Another good weather source is Eastern PA Weather Authority (EPAWA). Check them out on Facebook and Twitter. They were great this past winter for accurate predictions, and are contracted to do weather for the Muzikfest in Bethlehem starting 8/1. They will be worth checking out over the next few days.

ECPA118-1024x575.jpg