BD Guard - Appropriate?

He did good for winning awards in the category of best films from Europe (Italy). He could not produce a movie that would drawn American interest.

Very few foreign-language films do even modestly well in the U.S., no matter how great they are, but I think Fellini's work was a well-known to the general public here in the 1960s as that of any other foreign director before or since.

He did good for winning awards in the category of best films from Europe (Italy). He could not produces a movie that would drawn american interest.

Fellini was a big hit with the European elites, Parisian cafe crowd, beatniks, European Intelligentsia, Monaco and Cannes Yacht owners, etc crowd. They tend to do a lot of back slapping for one another. Fellini in his entire cinema career only made one film that could be deemed a popular success, ( La Dolce Vita) and even this one is not among the top 200 film's when selected by " the regular folks ". The vast majority of his screenplays, movies,( and even art work he dabbled in on occasion ) were commercial failures. And you are correct, his appeal was mostly in Europe.

Edited by BRASSO

This is an important point, and I'm surprised it took 70 posts for anyone to bring it up. Which is more damaging for children to see: scantily-dressed women smacking tambourines against their thighs, or a man cutting a woman's throat and dropping her body to the ground?

I'd go with " a man cutting a women's throat and dropping her body to the ground ".

I can tolerate a lot, but I would not want to see anybody stabbed to death in a DCI show production in the future.

I would have to say that one would cross the line for me.

Edited by BRASSO

Feh...Spirit did that in 86.

Now if BD ever does a show based on "Oh, Calcutta," THEN you can worry about inappropriate uniforms!

The Spirit of Atlanta is an interesting reference......considering Scott Chandler was a guard instructor with Spirit in 86

Whether people like or dislike the uniforms will always be personal preference based on whether or not people realize that it is just a performance situation.

Here is one question I a have. Would this thread have even been started if the same uniforms were worn by another corps or been worn by a corps that place below the top 12?

Edited by dbg
  • Like 1

He did good for winning awards in the category of best films from Europe (Italy). He could not produces a movie that would drawn american interest.

And then reality stepped in to note that 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, and La Strada (as well as a few lesser-known titles) were all significantly profitable in their US releases.

They probably didn't do that well in Hooterville, but in the big cities, his work was seen and appreciated.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

Very few foreign-language films do even modestly well in the U.S., no matter how great they are, but I think Fellini's work was a well-known to the general public here in the 1960s as that of any other foreign director before or since.

Yes, but thats faint praise. Thats like saying of someone : " of all the very short people in the room, he was the tallest".

Edited by BRASSO

Whether people like or dislike the uniforms will always be personal preference based on whether or not people realize that it is just a performance situation.

I don't know about this. I think people's opinions on clothing are the same whether its on a mannequin or on a human being. You either like the duds depicted, or you don't..... period.

Did I think the BD's costuming fit the Director and their theme selected ? Yes...almost perfectly as a matter of fact.

Did I like the costumes ? No. Not at all. I thought the ones on the guys... with the garters and that whole getup.... were mostly weird and bizarre.

But if others like it, thats cool and all too.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, but that's faint praise. That's like saying of someone, "Of all the very short people in the room, he was the tallest".

Eh, I can't help it if most people wrongly don't like foreign-language films--although for the most part, they just don't want to put in the minimal effort of watching something with subtitles. Their loss. Fellini's The White Sheik is better than 99% of American movies.