BD Guard - Appropriate?

I couldn't help but respond. I didn't mean to start a philosophical debate.

A) As some have said, just because so and so wore this or wore that doesn't make it right.

B) Just because it reinforces the show theme doesn't make it right.

Last, I don't think what they wear is the issue, it's what they do and what they are communicating. If you are okay with it, that's your prerogative. If you understand what the issue is, then you don't need to be convinced.

Huh?

I honestly don't think I've ever been so confused by a thread in all my years of lurking here....

How y'all can even notice a dance while what is possibly (probably) the greatest rifle line/feature in modern DCI history is happening a few yards away is beyond me. I think this year's BD guard is probably the single most talented section of any corps this summer, and I'm way too busy being blown away by their talent to even notice what they wear.

• Like 2

I honestly don't think I've ever been so confused by a thread in all my years of lurking here....

How y'all can even notice a dance while what is possibly (probably) the greatest rifle line/feature in modern DCI history is happening a few yards away is beyond me. I think this year's BD guard is probably the single most talented section of any corps this summer, and I'm way too busy being blown away by their talent to even notice what they wear.

Honestly, if this is quite possible the great rifle feature in modern DCI histoy, I need to go back and just concentrate that. I've tried to look at guards more this year, but I keep going back to drill and hornlines. And unison guard moves... Those get me drum corps-excited.

• Like 1

I agree with you whole-heartedly. But isn't part of what makes a character so convincing the ability of the actor or actress to find the character's qualities in themselves and amplify them?

Yes? What if you were asked to play a murderous thug in a play? You would have to find a way to take on several behavioral traits that may be completely different than your usual manner: intimidating physical mannerisms, lack of empathy, violence without remorse, etc. But when you take that costume off, you don't live those things out in your daily life.

• Like 1

Honestly, if this is quite possible the great rifle feature in modern DCI histoy, I need to go back and just concentrate that. I've tried to look at guards more this year, but I keep going back to drill and hornlines. And unison guard moves... Those get me drum corps-excited.

For my money, it's great. During the actual tambourine dance, there are some really exposed speed changes and one handed carving paths that require some really extreme muscle control to get clean. During the percussion feature as the riles transition to side 1, their responsibility to both form and equipment double, and when you add on top of that the dance work it become one of, I think, the most well written weapon books of the year.

Edit: Check out the Atlanta high cam on FN if you have it. I think the Nashville run was a touch cleaner, but you can get a better idea of the lyricism from the ATL vids, I think.

Edited by Citizen-Seth

For my money, it's great. During the actual tambourine dance, there are some really exposed speed changes and one handed carving paths that require some really extreme muscle control to get clean. During the percussion feature as the riles transition to side 1, their responsibility to both form and equipment double, and when you add on top of that the dance work it become one of, I think, the most well written weapon books of the year.

Edit: Check out the Atlanta high cam on FN if you have it. I think the Nashville run was a touch cleaner, but you can get a better idea of the lyricism from the ATL vids, I think.

Thanks for letting me know what to look for. I will do that!

Tamborines.

Edited by superOOk

I agree. Not only is this thread ludicrous it reeks of someone trying to find fault where there is none.

The guards great. The actual costume covers everything needed covered. The work is challenging and not sexist or (to me) sexual in any way.

So odd. And unnecessary.

• Like 4

For what its worth, I'm not offended by the guard playing the role of the idea and time period they are creating. (however, I am offended by whatever the hell the colts guard is wearing) You see it on Broadway in Chicago, you see it in Mad Men, and you see the Rockettes do it every year at Christmas. Is what they do appropriate for ages 10 and under? Maybe not. But is this activity expected to be limited to a G rating? Not even Disney can say that everything they do is G-rated. However, should you talk with your kid about what they saw? absolutely. Should you condone that behavior? its up to you. No, you may not agree with the choice of the guard's portrayal of their characters, or the corps design to have them act that way. But in the end, they are acting. (no, i did not intend to mean that as a pun)

• Like 1