BD Guard - Appropriate?

Overall, the comparison of selling clothing to selling drugs is specious. Drugs are hugely damaging in any number of ways. You might argue that "inappropriate clothing" can be damaging in some abstract ways, but no one dies from a clothing overdose. The Mexican cartels are not interested in haute couture.

And the cartels aren't interested in drugs because they are dangerous, but because they are illegal.

I'd rate the uniforms PG-13 and since B,he Devils tends to have older members, they were fine.

I honestly don't think I've ever been so confused by a thread in all my years of lurking here....

How y'all can even notice a dance while what is possibly (probably) the greatest rifle line/feature in modern DCI history is happening a few yards away is beyond me. I think this year's BD guard is probably the single most talented section of any corps this summer, and I'm way too busy being blown away by their talent to even notice what they wear.

The reason is that DCI's cameras have focused rather relentlessly on the tambourine feature. And as I recall, BD's designer interviewed before they played in the "Big, Loud, and Live" broadcast made a point of emphasizing the sexy tambourine work (for that reasons, someone on these forums referred to his interview as a bit creepy) but said nothing about the rifle feature.

According to Wikipedia, Fellini tried LSD in 1964, which was after he had made most of his important films, including those that seem to have most inspired Blue Devils' show. His strangeness seems to have had little need of chemical assistance.

Yes, but I did not define Fellini as a bizarre cat, simply because of his use of LSD and other mind altering drugs. He was a bizarre cat well before he made a single film. Even the cinema and art world has accepted the conventional understanding that the term " felliniesque " refers to something weird and bizarre. To that extent, I agree with you that his strangeness did not need the use of chemical assistance to make it so.

Edited by BRASSO

I'd rate the uniforms PG-13 and since Blue Devils tends to have older members, they were fine.

Well, if you're using the movie ratings system as your guide, remember that that has nothing to do with the age of the performers but rather of the audience. Should there have been "PG 13" advisories posted at stadium gates where BD performed this year?

Mom of a 10-year old daughter here. Would I want her to wear that outfit for shows all summer long? Well, if I had to be completely honest with myself I'd say no, I probably wouldn't. But, as an 18-year old, my daughter would have her own emerging adult identity and I would hope she had become a strong enough young lady to be able to separate her show character and her true character.

This is a very good point......the guard members are performers portraying a Character........many high school dance teams perform worse attire and to music with very questionable content.

• Like 2

This is silly. Who knew there were that many people who do not own a TV?

This point was addressed in the first few posts of this thread. Just because something is on TV doesn't mean that it is appropriate in a drum corps show. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some percentage of the audience that expects drum corps to be more family-friendly than prime time TV.

Yes, but I did not define Fellini as a bizarre cat, simply because of his use of LSD and other mind altering drugs. He was a bizarre cat well before he made a single film. Even the cinema and art world has accepted the conventional understanding that the term " felliniesque " refers to something weird and bizarre.

He did good for winning awards in the category of best films from Europe (Italy). He could not produces a movie that would drawn american interest.

The piece in question is based on this: http://youtu.be/wgi2967f2RI

As to the question of if it's appropriate? Well, I would rather see lovely people enjoying themselves than, say, violence. As mentioned before, it fits in with the theme. I also have to wonder if, were the "sexy bits" the males in the guard, would we even be having this conversation? As a parent of two girls (including a 17-year-old), I feel that it's important to let them know it's OK to be attractive, and to not let men judge them (I am a man).

This is an important point, and I'm surprised it took 70 posts for anyone to bring it up. Which is more damaging for children to see: scantily-dressed women smacking tambourines against their thighs, or a man cutting a woman's throat and dropping her body to the ground?