Pioneer Deserved Better

Not to discount the work of 7th Regiment, they are truly a good corps and have been solid for a number of years with from what I recall a very consistent staff.

I realize these groups are on the same sheets now, but are open class groups that are placing in this range performing "full" shows?

Not to discount the work of 7th Regiment, they are truly a good corps and have been solid for a number of years with from what I recall a very consistent staff.

I realize these groups are on the same sheets now, but are open class groups that are placing in this range performing "full" shows?

Yep.

Full shows or not; what they are bringing to the field is superior to what Pioneer is doing.

I actually like Pioneer. I liked them more when they were in Div 2 (yes, i'm old) way more than when they went Open. (or World...whatever) They have a great mission statement, and the members generally like their time there.

But there's something to be said for playing even a moderately hard show, in tune, in time, and to march it well. These are things that Pioneer has not done well in many years. I'm going to compain about scores or slotting, but I will simply say that since 1997, the corps has no only not grown and matured with the activity, but i feel it has reverted to a shell of its former self.

Think about it this way, the Troopers used to be in a similar spot. They were a great corps, then they fell off the wagon a bit in the late 1990s. They took a step back and looked and how they needed to improve the corps as a whole. Not just membership, but staffing, design, funding...etc. And now they are in the thick of it consistently.

Perhaps its time Pioneer did that, if they can consistently operate a full tour, then funding isnt the concern, but its design and evolution of the corps.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

I'm wondering why the corps can't evolve just a smidge? Honestly, I don't know the story behind the control of PIO, but if it's a matter of sticking to the founder's ideals/principals/philosophy, I still don't see a problem with challenging the members with a well written drill and music book while mainting the corps' identity. I feel like PIO is always so watered down. Why? Is it because they don't feel the members have the skills to pull off anything else or is it the creativity of the staff. Someone who knows more about PIO please explain.

• Like 1

For the judges to not allow them to break 70 all season is a clear indication that DCI seems to hold grudges as well as look at the previous history of a corps.

/picturing DCI judges huddling together sometime around San Antonio in a backroom, puffing cigars, and one of them saying, "I really hate Roman. I don't care how good they are. We can't let them break 70!"

The judges don't hold up a scorecard that says "68" or any other total-score number. Seeing a conspiracy built around a wall that can't be penetrated in terms of a total score of 70 is quite a reach.

A judge gives a couple caption scores worth much less than 70 after the formula gets done with them.

You should be thinking about what Pioneer caption scores were consistently too low in relation to other competing corps in your opinion and why?

• Like 1

I feel like Roman would do well with a Senior corps, but he is absolutely running Pioneer into the ground (competitively). It sucks because in the mid 90s they were actually coming up and trying to break into semis. Plus they had some of the best uniforms in DCI.

Financially I've heard that Pio is actually one of the most sound corps in DCI, which is great. But I feel like the kids deserve much more than "better every day!" and "we're touring around the country!". I'm sure designers and staff members would like to work with Pioneer, but know that they would absolutely hate it because of Roman's direction. Hence, the corps stays stagnant. It's not like they have to go out and spend a ton of cash on trampolines or anything, but for pete's sake give the kids some building blocks like the Troopers had from 07 to 09. As sad as it is to say, the problem most likely is actually Roman.

At least give the kids a uniform like the old mid-90s Pio unis. The current ones are just... ugh.

poops

exactly.

yes the kids work hard. but until a staff is brought in that allows the corps to grow and recruit and RETAIN, Pioneer will be stuck in this endless cycle. Don't blame the kids, blame the adults

You are making some pretty bold statements about Pioneer's staff. Can you back them up with facts??? It's almost as ridiculous as judging teachers' performance and skills by the results of standardized testing. How could Pioneer's staff inhibit members from growing? How can you objectively know anything about our teachers' abilities or lack of? What do you know about the corps' recruiting efforts? What do you actually know about Pioneer's rates of retention? Sorry, but I feel that your careless accusations do nothing more than kicking someone when they are down.

Edited by brassensemble