2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

Park and Blow scores a perfect GE and Viz. Congrats DCI. Way to send a message. As to the real Viz corps like SCV and Crown, you guys keep doing what you're doing. And the real GE winner, BLOO, how they can ignore an entire stadium of DCI players and fans, well, let's just say we all saw the same thing. BD, congrats on a great show and an amazing hornline.

Dude, really? Your corps just beat a ten time champion, got their highest score and placement ever, and you have to bag on the corps that won? Come on now. Enjoy the fact that Blooo won the hearts of pretty much everyone this year and don't be upset. Bloo was never going to beat Blue this year, sorry. I am VERY happy that Bloo got Silver, but they had plenty of park (or hang on triangles) bits as well.

Enjoy the highs. Your corps was AWESOME this year. So were the Blue Devils.

• Like 9

just back to the Hotel from Finals. Was awesome hearing the crowd reaction for Bluecoats taking 2nd. Congrats Bluecoats. Haven't much looked at the recap yet. One thing that came across after the corps were dismissed was how Blue Devils/Bluecoats/Crown all merged into one big pile congratulating each other. What was shocking was Cadets, standing still in shock, doing nothing and darting out of the stadium. That came across very bad.

They really need to reconsider the impression that leaves.

No they don't. Just because someone doesn't understand, doesn't mean they have to reconsider the way they have done it for years.

When a scoring system is based on rewarding achievement (as opposed to demerits for errors) there is no such thing as a perfect score. The numbers are simply a vehicle to get the rank and spread correct. Who cares if the winning score was a 99.65 or a 23.4. The corps were in the right order with the right spread. Who cares about the math that got them there.

Also, that scoring system is based on rewarding achievement at an individual and small ensemble level ( according to the sheets), so that's a little different than for groups that don't design their shows at that level.

When a scoring system is based on rewarding achievement (as opposed to demerits for errors) there is no such thing as a perfect score. The numbers are simply a vehicle to get the rank and spread correct. Who cares if the winning score was a 99.65 or a 23.4. The corps were in the right order with the right spread. Who cares about the math that got them there.

I agree in theory. But by giving any corps a perfect score, you're basically saying that there is no room for improvement. I guess I've always felt (and been taught) that there is no such thing as perfection. But it's the attempt to get there that makes the hard work worth it, and so much fun.

just back to the Hotel from Finals. Was awesome hearing the crowd reaction for Bluecoats taking 2nd. Congrats Bluecoats. Haven't much looked at the recap yet. One thing that came across after the corps were dismissed was how Blue Devils/Bluecoats/Crown all merged into one big pile congratulating each other. What was shocking was Cadets, standing still in shock, doing nothing and darting out of the stadium. That came across very bad.

I'm happy to hear Crown joined the dog-pile. Those are some classy cats too.

• Like 2

The perfect score not existing is true... but at the same time, if someone scores a perfect in any caption it means it was literally perfect. As in, nothing left on the field and no mistakes at all.

I don't think anyone could say a corps from the 70s-90s has performed at as high of a level as what we saw out of the top 5 this year. They are all playing more difficult and technical music, harder drills, more physically demanding etc etc. So I do think the BD score is that much better than the 99.15 of the past, or any 97-99 score from past decades. They really are that much better nowadays.

Park and Blow scores a perfect GE and Viz. Congrats DCI. Way to send a message. As to the real Viz corps like SCV and Crown, you guys keep doing what you're doing. And the real GE winner, BLOO, how they can ignore an entire stadium of DCI players and fans, well, let's just say we all saw the same thing. BD, congrats on a great show and an amazing hornline.

Oh god.

I agree in theory. But by giving any corps a perfect score, you're basically saying that there is no room for improvement. I guess I've always felt (and been taught) that there is no such thing as perfection. But it's the attempt to get there that makes the hard work worth it, and so much fun.

No room for improvement *this year.