I think DCI and their judges were very loud and clear as far as where they want the activity heading.

If it was execution, okay, BD were that good.

But their show was still not entertaining. I guess DCI doesn't care about entertainment anymore.

Uh, what are you smoking man? You obviously have a bone to pick against BD because that show was entertaining as hell. I took two non-DCI fans to ToC in Charlotte and they both loved the BD show, as well as myself and the other big DCI fan with us. It connected with audiences in a way Blue Devils haven't in a few years, AND they performed the hell out of it. That show was pure entertainment, start to finish. It did indeed have a ton of pageantry, but right alongside that was crazy good brass, drums, drill, and music that for lack of a better word, was just "fun".

Just to pick your brain more, what would you say the most "entertaining" show this year was?

So his talent as an embezzler rivals that of his horn playing? :laughing:

Thanks for being a ######. Dan was a fantastic horn player that nailed that solo every night except finals and during one victory concert earlier in the season.

Thanks for being a ######. Dan was a fantastic horn player that nailed that solo every night except finals and during one victory concert earlier in the season.

Looks like we can't use the word for "feminine products".

• Like 1

Then perhaps they should outsource things and not be affiliated as DCI judges if the parent organization won't follow suit. PR or not, they use the term regularly. So why is it forbidden and flamethrown on DCP? If I'm forced to decide whether or not I'm calling a 20.0 a perfect score, I'm not going to listen to DCP, that's for sure.

maybe this will make you feel better.

BD, in those subcaptions, maxed out the sheet perfectly.

notice I didn't say performed perfectly. I said they maxed out the sheet perfectly.

• Like 2

You are agreeing with me entirely. Their show was far from perfect.

It was, however, the best of the night, and possibly one of the most well-executed shows in the activity we've ever seen. I'm just trying to indicate to you that the perfect score exists. We need to find another way to reach it though instead of using 20 as a ceiling. Because all too often in the public eye, they interpret 20 as perfect, and DCI exacerbates the issue by using that term frequently as well. It is an element that HAS to exist, we just don't know how or if it will ever be collectively agreeing upon that it would ever be right. Until that moment, we need to redefine what 20.0 means and why it is all too often used now in the activity.

As someone said earlier, it wouldn't have mattered if the champion scored a 23.4 as long as the spreads were accurate. I couldn't agree more.

But the question is, why are we here now? At 99.65. How did we get to this point? There were not 100 other corps out there where the numbers couldn't be managed more effectively to achieve a lesser value than 99.65, or 0.35 from perfect in the general populous' view out side of DCP. It's a flaw in this system that someone needs to brainstorm a solution for. Lest we view a 100 as indeed perfect when it inevitably happens.

so then you're saying the corps 2-12 should have gotten tapes with certain wording that indicated a score in a certain part of the sheet, but given a lower number just to keep from having 10's given out?

No sir. if you're given me box 5 dialogue on your recording, you #### well better give me a box 5 number. And with quality like we have no at the top 12 level, you're going to have high numbers.

remember, maybe back in the day not every corps even broke 80 to get into finals. When the system switched in 84 I think was the first time that happened. Now go look at the top score in 84....a 98.4. Was there this outcry then? ok, we had no internet, but I don't remember seeing SCN or DCW explode with crying about the score. Imagine what Cadets could have gotten in 84 with a better percussion section!

so really, in 34 years, we've seen the top score go up 1.25. Given the talent on the field, the current system used, and the designers we have.....so ####### what?

• Like 2

Why wouldn't DCI have a scoring system that allowed comparisons from year to year? Am I the only one that thinks this is silly?

sheets change, rules change