2015 Predictions

So, when the entire trumpet section of this year's Boston Crusaders went out and had section t-shirts made which read" 75th Anniversary...We Stand on the Shoulders of Giants" that was indicative of current members not caring nor be able to relate to the anniversary.

Got it.

thats a great thing

once more danny boy..i said even current members MAY have a hard time connecting to something they were not a part of.....MOVE ON. find someone else to disrespect and bait.

Conversation over

You said lots of things above that are absurd, so yes, I agree, its time not to dwell anymore on it and we both can agree to.. as you said incaps to.. MOVE ON. ... As for " baiting you " thats also an absurd charge on me. . However if you say equally absurd things in the future, I will reply to it as I choose. ( some I let slide, as I decided it was too trivial, not worth my time, etc to respond... if I believe that you stated something that makes perfect sense to me I will, ( and have ) complimented you on ithese obervations, assessments of yours that make sense to me. But if you are just trolling here with absurd nonsense on purpose, then do yourself a favor and give it a break already.

Edited by BRASSO

You said lots of things above that are absurd, so yes, I agree, its time not to dwell anymore on it and we both can agree to.. as you said incaps to.. MOVE ON. ... As for " baiting you " thats also an absurd charge on me. . However if you say equally absurd things in the future, I will reply to it as I choose. ( some I let slide, as I decided it was too trivial, not worth my time, etc to respond... if I believe that you stated something that makes perfect sense to me I will, ( and have ) complimented you on ithese obervations, assessments of yours that make sense to me. But if you are just trolling here with absurd nonsense on purpose, then do yourself a favor and give it a break already.

lmao.

..... now back to placement predictions.

I predicted that no more than 2 Corps will move up or down more than 3 placement predictions from last season in the top 16.

Who here might think otherwise ?.... and what Corps do you think might beat this placement prediction of mine ?... and why do you think so ? ( my guess, nobody will want to say which Corps will fall more than 3 placement positions... and I can understand the sensible decision not to go out and touch THAT 3rd rail to get electrocuted ... but if you are up to it, go for it too .

Edited by BRASSO

So, when the entire trumpet section of this year's Boston Crusaders went out and had section t-shirts made which read" 75th Anniversary...We Stand on the Shoulders of Giants" that was indicative of current members not caring nor be able to relate to the anniversary.

Got it.

Oh Craiga, you are WAY too sensible, accurate, observant, for Guardling and 1 or 2 other DCP'ers that seem completely out of touch with the observation comment that its " immature " for Corps marchers to be " specially motivated " by anniversaries.. or " most marchers in Corps ( ANY Corps ) don't care about their Corps anniversary years".. or that the" general public ( DC ) fans " don't care about a Corps Anniversary years". One must be tone deaf to believe that most fans ( general public ) " did not care " that the Madison Scouts had their 75th anniversary in 2013, or that " most marchers " in their Corps that year were so self absorbed with themselves that they really " didn't care " that it was their 75th Anniversary. Its beyond stupidity frankly, Craiga. The 2, 3 here can't possibly believe this utter absurdity..... unless these 2 or 3 are just trolling now, which might be an alternative explanation.

This is an example of the sheer nonsense that is posted here on DCP from time to time, that current marchers naturally laugh at, regarding how a few DCP'ers want to portray them.. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

Got it.

That's wonderful that they did that. Will it motivate them to want to want to play and march better? Possibly. Does it mean that they automatically will? Or that what they've been given to perform (something over which they have no control) will be the kind of material that will be rewarded? Not necessarily. There are a lot of variables at play here, let's be honest.

Look, I don't doubt that this year means a lot to the performers of the Boston Crusaders. And not only do I believe it should mean a lot to them, I'm happy to hear they are excited about it. But in the end, it won't earn them extra bonus points or have much of an impact on the results. Some may even argue that all that extra emotion could actually wind up costing them something when it comes to performance. I think we've all seen and heard performances over the years where a corps put a little too much juice into it and wound up overplaying or not being so tight when it comes to execution because they were way too hyped up.

I'm pretty certain that in the end, Boston will be fine. They'll make finals, they'll be a very good drum corps, and people will most likely enjoy their show a great deal. But all that anniversary year stuff will only get you so far, no matter who the corps.

And since the subject of sports was invoked, I'll leave everyone with this quote from the legendary creator of NFL Films, Steve Sabol, who said, "I think emotion is an overused word and overrated factor in the NFL. Everyone in football is charged up, but emotion is a commodity with a notoriously short shelf-life. You can't replace preparation and execution with emotion and hope to make it. There was a lot of passion at the Alamo, and they all died."

• Like 1

That's wonderful that they did that. Will it motivate them to want to want to play and march better? Possibly. Does it mean that they automatically will? Or that what they've been given to perform (something over which they have no control) will be the kind of material that will be rewarded? Not necessarily., let's be honest.

Yes. lets be REAL " honest " here and recognize that nobody on this thread said any such thing... about ANY Corps. As a matter of fact, lets be " honest " and acknowledge whether or not that you read above that I said that there is no relationship whatesoever between an anniversary year and higher placements. As a matter of fact, I said above that judges don't care if its your anniversary year or not. Lets be REAL " honest " ( as you requested )...: did you read and understand clearly what I said above regarding placements and annirersary years ( and Finals on home fields ) ? Just asking so that we can be REAL" honest" here as to comprehending what is actually said, and not going into assumptions on what you think a poster said that really has no basis in reality as to what they ACTUALLY said. Besides, it is a GIVEN that everyone knows that NO Corps is going to be rewarded for subpar design, subpar execution, anniversary year, or non anniversary year. So given this knowledge that everyone would agree with, what exactly are you doing, or going with this ?

I'll say that it's not immature for marchers to get more motivations from anniversaries, but it is totally lame.

But all that anniversary year stuff will only get you so far, no matter who the corps.

You have no disagreement with anyone on here with this observation of yours, seen-it- all. Why would anyone think judges will reward anniversary years of ANY Corps when all the historical evidence is that an anniversary year won't by itself buy you a cup of coffee with the judges ( nor should it ) Since this has already been established by everyone here it seems to me, where did you intend to go with this ?

I was not the poster suggesting that BAC's 75th would garner them any extra credit. I don't believe that is the case. I WAS responding to someone who suggested that current members do not care about nor feel bound by any sense of history and thus would not relate to the 75th. That is simply not true.

Naturally, every member brings their own backgrounds and personalities with them when they arrive at move in and begin the touring process. My experience with Boston, which reaches back nearly 40 years, has shown me time and again that BAC has a certain historical thread weaving through its organization at the membership level.

Do current members obsess about the corps' history or perform primarily for Crusaders of the past? Certainly not. Having said that, it is true that there is a thick, ever present institutional memory which the current members absorb. I would suspect that there are probably similar feelings at Madison and Cavies, and perhaps Cadets as well.

In an era where many members of the "millennial generation" seem to not want anything to do with prior generations, I frankly feel that a reverence for the past and "how we persevered to survive" is a good thing.

• Like 2