2015 Predictions

Tsk. You're all obviously forgetting about the year our little Miley marched with Music City. <--(Unsubstantiated drum corps rumor.)

Yes, I forgot... Tsk, tsk.. Oh My achy, breaky heart.

• Like 1

So back to 2015 predictions.........here's some 2015 early season Jubal.

I'm very excited to see how they do this year! Really dig the show, should clean up really nice. Glad they're making the trip over. I'm interested to see where they end up falling.

They've existed for 104 years, very cool!

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Jubal was here in 2011. I remember seeing them at open class semis in Michigan City. Didn't know their existence hit the century mark. Very cool.

Just found this DCI article from 2011 about their history: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1b0d9bbf-ff3a-484b-815c-20c3e2a934ba

Edited by luv4corps

I hear you... but I really don't think Miley has much support among today's DCI marchers. I applaud the vast majority of today's DCI marchers for having FAR more discerning tastes than many of their peers. I disagree with this observation and assessment of today's majority of DCI marchers here too. My guess: you are inaccurate with this assessment as well if you believe that many of today's DCI marchers like and admire Miley Cyrus. They don't. Most don't anyway.

My vague grasp on the cultural zeitgeist (with which we should all feel free to disagree) is that to appreciate Miley Cyrus is indeed to demonstrate good taste: that she was only briefly on the outs for seeming to try to hard to show she was all grown up, but that the arbiters of taste quickly re-warmed to her for taking charge of her sexuality, and that she was fully redeemed by the time she did this in February:

(The composer of that song has of course had many works used by drum corps.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

I'll stick with my assessment from yesterday, that the vast majority of this season's DCI marchers aren't reaching for their downloaded tunes of Miley Cyrus on their devices while on tour this summer, or when they get home. Some might be. But the vast majority won't be, imo. Thats my sense of it, anyway. But who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

My vague grasp on the cultural zeitgeist (with which we should all feel free to disagree) is that to appreciate Miley Cyrus is indeed to demonstrate good taste:

On target. Furthermore current MMs are way ahead of the cultural zeitgeist (and #dcpgodwin) WRT Miley. In fact they entirely "got" her explorations. Might have thought she was a bit crazy for her approach but wholly approved of her motives.

• Like 1

So back to 2015 predictions... here's some 2015 early season Jubal.

I'm very excited to see how they do this year! Really dig the show, should clean up really nice. Glad they're making the trip over. I'm interested to see where they end up falling.

Very good indeed for May 24.

In over 110 predictions to this this thread, only four have mentioned Jubal at all. Those four averaged put the corps at 31st place. In 2011, they placed 33rd. This looks like a stronger show to me.

On target. Furthermore current MMs are way ahead of the cultural zeitgeist (and #dcpgodwin) WRT Miley. In fact they entirely "got" her explorations. Might have thought she was a bit crazy for her approach but wholly approved of her motives.

Well, in the long term, the zeitgeist is often seen to be wrong, and the MMs may be as well. In this case, I actually hope so.

I predict that this alleged recent zeitgeist enthusiasm phenomenon for Mily Cyrus won't be found on many of the itunes of Cavs, Madison Scouts marchers this season....no matter what we might read here on DCP.( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO