Best Video from Finals!

Great, now everyone will be dropping their snares next year.

• Like 4

Jersey Surf should do a VK style tribute where a shark coughs up a judge and the judge picks up someone's dropped snare and runs it to him/her

• Like 3

I don't know, but ... snare dropped/lost - wearing camera, coincidence?

Is it a normal thing for MMs to wear cameras (are they even allowed under DCI's rules about recordings)...

I'd say coincidence. Given that the camera didn't move when the drum fell off, it's probably on a different part of the carrier from where the drum attaches.

I wouldn't say it's common, but kids have been recording their finals runs for years and years. There's a recording on YouTube of 1987 SCV from a kid in the snare line with a Walkman taped to his carrier.

Couple of other great things about this video. Oh, the drama of "That one second"! (Ha, see what I did there?)

As soon as he dropped the drum, about a step and a half back he hesitated and almost went for it. He ended up a half-step out of line but recovered in just 1 step. I know that his brain is auto-programmed once that block starts but, for that split second, he had to de-couple from the autoprogram and make a conscious decision to go for it or not. What incredible acuity under the most extreme of conditions. I wonder how it would have unfolded had he decided to go for it and break rank. The way that line moved and the tenors blocked even the judge, I'll bet he'd had a tough time catching up. There by the grace of God, maybe.

The other thing I didn't notice the first time is on the drum cam, at about the 41-second mark, Allen comes bounding by from left to right and makes a funny face to the camera and yells something funny. What a wonderful guy. They had an immediate kinship that, likely, would never happen otherwise, and will last a lifetime for both of them.

What a great story.

An absolutely incredible recovery, with so little impact to flow of the show. This could have taken down more than one person. Very, very lucky. That judge is a class act. Almost makes me feel bad, that when i marched it was considered a badge of honor if you ran a judge down during a show. I said almost.

Edited by 27Socal

Makes me wonder if this is a coincidence that the drum fell off the carrier that happened to have the camera on it. Could the mounting of the camera somehow interferred with the full engagement of the drum into the carrier?

Saw a hornline member of Madison Scouts wearing a Go Pro on his chest in ATL. VERY obvious on those white uniforms. I think this is done very often

Makes me wonder if this is a coincidence that the drum fell off the carrier that happened to have the camera on it. Could the mounting of the camera somehow interferred with the full engagement of the drum into the carrier?

It didn't look like it when the judge handed it to him and he dropped it in place.

Looking at the camera position (his "playing position" was inches below the camera) it probably not a worthy wonder. It was mounted well above his grip, let along his J-bar hangers.