DCI and the triumph of the Simulacrum

Rather than focusing on the word and wordplay, the essential question is why are we condoning and highly-scoring simulated demand (marching, music, marching+music, electronics)?

Why is the simulated valued higher than the real (as in really demanding marching+playing at the same time)?

And is it a good thing?

The more we value the simulacrum, the more of it we'll get in shows. And I don't think people necessarily like it more.

(Just because people were yelling and screaming at a pitch bend just means that compared to the other simulacra on the field this year, that was the best. People yell and scream at Skrillex pressing buttons on his Macbook all the time, and he rakes in millions doing it. Hence the SNL skit I linked in the original post making fun of the sheeple who like such electronic "performances", and the faux skill that it requires to execute it.)

Corps design shows that the current DCI judging community rewards, and deletes things that the DCI judging community tends not to reward.

Thus, there is nothing new under the sun in this, and there are no mysteries here. We can expect lots of " pitch bend " out the Corps wazoo machines next season, and you can make book on that easy prediction.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Would Bluecoats have earned a higher score if the pitch bend were actually performed live by the brass players? Several people suggested that over the course of the season.

Would Bluecoats have earned a higher score if the pitch bend were actually performed live by the brass players? Several people suggested that over the course of the season.

This is a moot point, as there is no way a brass line could play anything comparable unless they were all on trombones. And even if that were the case, the crowd reaction would be "so what, that is what trombones do."

No, I think the reason the pitch bend got folks excited was because it was a perfect hybrid of acoustic and synthesized music. Like a good joke or magic trick, it was at first a bit perplexing, as the audience tried to process an unexpected and novel experience, e.g., "hey, horns can't sound like that!". Then when they "got the joke" about the computerized prestidigitation, the delight and applause started.

So in this specific case, the "simulacrum" of the electronic pitch bend in juxtaposition with the normal acoustic horn play was crucial to the overall effect.

As an aside, can we safely assume that "simulacrum" has replaced "aplenty" here on DCP?

EDIT to correct subjunctive tense.

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 1

OK, so preliminary design elements for the simulacrum show...

- Boston keeps their animal masks. But some of the guard members will be "real" animals, and some the android animals.

- Part of the narration will be a Voight-Kampff empathy test.

- Music will be from Blade Runner. (Possible additions.)

- In a possible swipe at the Bluecoats (and/or others) the entire ensemble will be playing some piece, but then horns and sticks will go down, revealing that some recording (the musical Simulacrum, and possibly an inadequate one) had been inserted at some point. (Shades of a certain David Lynch movie there as well.)

- Should we throw in the "Tears in Rain" monologue? Probably.

- Protagonist either goes insane, discovers he's an android (a simulacrum, thus the mere illusion of the shell of humanity), or discovers that he's been spying on himself the entire time (element from Scanner Darkly).

Alrighty, then. Don't take any of that seriously. :-P

I'm picturing you regretting not making enough Skrillex, DJ or macbook references in previous posts. No way to make up for it now. Sorry.

Rather than focusing on the word and wordplay, the essential question is why are we condoning and highly-scoring simulated demand (marching, music, marching+music, electronics)?

Why is the simulated valued higher than the real (as in really demanding marching+playing at the same time)?

And is it a good thing?

The more we value the simulacrum, the more of it we'll get in shows. And I don't think people necessarily like it more.

(Just because people were yelling and screaming at a pitch bend just means that compared to the other simulacra on the field this year, that was the best. People yell and scream at Skrillex pressing buttons on his Macbook all the time, and he rakes in millions doing it. Hence the SNL skit I linked in the original post making fun of the sheeple who like such electronic "performances", and the faux skill that it requires to execute it.)

I prefer numbers, thank you.

This is a moot point, as there is no way a brass line could play anything comparable unless they were all on trombones. And even if that was the case, the crowd reaction would be "so what, that is what trombones do."

No, I think the reason the pitch bend got folks excited was because it was a perfect hybrid of acoustic and synthesized music. Like a good joke or magic trick, it was at first a bit perplexing, as the audience tried to process an unexpected and novel experience, e.g., "hey, horns can't sound like that!". Then when they "got the joke" about the computerized prestidigitation, the delight and applause started.

So in this specific case, the "simulacrum" of the electronic pitch bend in juxtaposition with the normal acoustic horn play was crucial to the overall effect.

As an aside, can we safely assume that "simulacrum" has replaced "aplenty" here on DCP?

A most eloquent post. Thank you for the clarity of wording and, No, "aplenty" is still the word in play.

As in, I have disdain aplenty for a thread that tries to cover a legitimate subject with brilliant ######## using unnecessary word play.

It isn't. You have presented no evidence that the judges significantly rewarded any electronics this year.

Yes, the audience was excited by a new experience in drum corps, but as I read the sheets the music judges were probably scoring the brass performers on what they were playing, which was impressive.

I'm curious to know which judge you think highly rewarded the pitch bend.