DCI and the triumph of the Simulacrum

The poster does have a point that increasingly, superficial sounds... prerecorded and not done live in competition..... can gather one points in competition. In other words, what adults create is increasingly being judged in DCI by other adults.

And to think the judges are supposed to be judging the mm who are 22 and younger and all electronic stuff, representing instruments and such, might be created by over 22 year old professionals.

I find the post intriguing. If you look at this years shows, you will see an excessive amount of standing and playing and then moving slightly with choreographed movement (dance almost) and then continuing to stand still. Almost every show this year had a prevalent amount of this type of "drill" to simulate movement and it was a bit disappointing. I believe that it can all (both drill and music) be synthesized to a tasteful degree but I fear it has gotten out of hand. The most memorable and amazing shows throughout dci's history have not had excessive amounts of simulation. It should continue to be that way

...well, I'm glad to know what "should" be (even though I may not agree with the assessment). What group(s) in, say, the top six are we complaining about here? I for one am OK with where the shows are going now, mostly because it ain't gonna go anywhere else...certainly not back in time. So I enjoy what's there, kinda cringe when *it* gets out of control, and applaud loudly when *it* is right. Right for me. Entertaining me. Inspiring me to keep hacking away at silly things like high school band, Open Class drum corps and maybe a little WC besides. (So much of what's going on now is analogous to events in our history, but that's another thread...heh) So 'Coats used electronics in a "new" way...Colts had a show revolving around a narrator that I liked alot; both of these groups integrated these factors into their shows seamlessly...and entertained me completely. Other groups didn't hit the homer with me, but such is life. Whether you have mega drill or not is irrelevant, IMO, key is if the show is a "show" or not...does it have entertainment elements that satisfy both audience and judges? Is it clean? Is it clean *enough!?* Heck, some of those body movements being performed now are Tough to get down, while moving in a drill or not. Fact is, everything you see and hear now takes TIME to perfect, and there's only so much of that commodity available, so I'm constantly amazed how our corps get as good as they get! We can p*ss and moan all we want about it, but the fact is that *it* is going to move on, and I plan on being right there to enjoy it.

Edited by chasgroh
  • Like 2

WhoopsNo.gif

• Like 1

I nominate "simulacrum" as the DCP Word of the Year. (I wish I knew how to pronounce it.)

Edited by luv4corps

I nominate "simulacrum" as the DCP Word of the Year. (I wish I knew how to pronounce it.)

It is pronounced "ersatz".

• Like 2

As in, I have disdain aplenty for a thread that tries to cover a legitimate subject with brilliant ######## using unnecessary word play.

Congratulations...believe it or not, you have just provided the definition of the Latin word "Murcalumis." However, it is only understandable to Latin Dyslexics.

It is pronounced "ersatz".

No...it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove." (With a nod to "Monty Python.")

• Like 2

I intend to use this new word " simulacrum " in traffic instead of profanity these next few months.

When some rude driver cuts me off in traffic now, I will refrain from the use of profanity and yell out to him or her:.... : "What do you think you're doing you stupid Son of a.... Simulacrum !!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2