The DCI 990s

I've never found DCI to have a particularly compelling story to tell when it comes to direct charitable contributions, and suspect that for many, the FODCI program really is about preferred seating rather than direct altruistic support of the activity.

If DCI were to create a program by which legacy fans whose corps have folded could use DCI as a central clearinghouse to "adopt" a new corps to support, they might be able to get some traction, but right now, I'm not sure what, exactly, the "charitable" purpose of DCI is. Non-profit, absolutely, in the same way the NFL is a non-profit. But a charity?...

Edited by Slingerland

I've never found DCI to have a particularly compelling story to tell when it comes to direct charitable contributions, and suspect that for many, the FODCI program really is about preferred seating rather than direct altruistic support of the activity.

If DCI were to create a program by which legacy fans whose corps have folded could use DCI as a central clearinghouse to "adopt" a new corps to support, they might be able to get some traction, but right now, I'm not sure what, exactly, the "charitable" purpose of DCI is. Non-profit, absolutely, in the same way the NFL is a non-profit. But a charity?...

I think you're slicing the parse into oblivion.

The fact is that the vast, VAST, majority of fans support the activity as a whole, not a particular corps. For those of us relatively few in the Friends section, it's not about a charitable purpose. It's about supporting the activity as a whole. Many donors have a limited amount with which they can support the activity, yet we want to support all the corps not just a favored few (and not just the alum's corps) even if they also give directly to the corps.

DCI's place in philanthropy is to address the 96% of fans who say they support the activity, and attend shows not to see a particular corps but to support the activity as a whole. Each corps wants each of us to think that they are the center of the universe and all of our support should be directed to them. The problem is that EVERY corps promotes that presumption. What of the fan who wants to support the activity as a whole and respects the position of each corps individually?

I'll also remind that the $850 net or so from a Platinum member is distributed to the corps based on the payout schedule that they, themselves, worked out. Most of those of us who contribute to DCI recognize that, as a result, we're not supporting the whole activity equally, and that a larger portion of our "charitable contribution" is going to the top-finishing corps, whether we like those corps or not.

The Friends program appears to be much less of a philanthropic donor program than a 'gain access to better seats' program. There is no evidence of donor development, donor stewardship, or new donor acquisition. Most philanthropic programs that I've seen build on a 'pyramid' of donors that advance up the scale - whereas this chart clearly shows that this is not the case for the DCI Friends program. For the last several years, the largest number of "donors" are in the category that provides the initial level of "complimentary" tickets to championships.

It would be interesting to see what the actual value of these "donations" are, once the value of the associated benefits (e.g., tickets, Fan Network, etc) are removed.

I'm wondering if DCI has a specific strategy to build a philanthropic donor base - or if they're satisfied with simply providing a 'premium ticket club'.

For those that are members of the Friends program - do you consider yourselves "charitable donors" ... or do you consider your Friends membership as simply a way to get better tickets to championships?

you still pay for those tickets, you're just given the option to better seats

Some miscellaneous expenses

"Broadcast and Production" expenses were $193,420 in 2012, declining from $214,000 in 2011.

"Printing and Publications" costs have declined, as you might expect. In 2009 it was $250,661 and in 2011 it was $178,340, and in 2012 it was $193,420.

"Telephone and Internet cost". In 2009 they were $229,188. In 2011 they were $160,983, and in 2012 they were $182,617.

Postage was $21,765 in 2012. In 2011 it was $19,386 (up from about $17,000 in '09). I suppose this could be FedEx document deliveries as well.

"Bad Debt Expense" showed up for the first time in 2011, at $20,000. In 2012 it rose to $84,000 (Ream, you gotta pay that FN bill!).

Edited by garfield

Some miscellaneous expenses

"Broadcast and Production" expenses were $193,420 in 2012, declining from $214,000 in 2011.

"Printing and Publications" costs have declined, as you might expect. In 2009 it was $250,661 and in 2011 it was $178,340, and in 2012 it was $193,420.

"Telephone and Internet cost". In 2009 they were $229,188. In 2011 they were $160,983, and in 2012 they were $182,617.

Postage was $21,765 in 2012. In 2011 it was $19,386 (up from about $17,000 in '09). I suppose this could be FedEx document deliveries as well.

"Bad Debt Expense" showed up for the first time in 2011, at $20,000. In 2012 it rose to $84,000 (Ream, you gotta pay that FN bill!).

it doesn't let you log in if you didn't pay, and I've ben watching all year so I'm good. I wonder if that's related to helping corps on the ropes out ala Teal

it doesn't let you log in if you didn't pay, and I've ben watching all year so I'm good. I wonder if that's related to helping corps on the ropes out ala Teal

I'd bet Glassmen got quite a bit of help, too, although I don't know for sure. And Music City??