tOSU band being denied performance licenses

Probably right on the timing, finally looked at the link and see it's a TV station. Might have waited until FB season was starting.

OSU at Navy today, ironic since I get my harassment training from the Navy.....and wish DCA was there as it's closer

I just listened to the recording of the meeting with the student assistant drum major.

I hope that every athletic practice, post-practice locker room session, and individual meetings between coaches and student athletes are recorded as well. I'd hate to think that a fine institution such as The Ohio State University would fail to follow through on their commitment to expect professionalism from their employees at all times. I mean...they wouldn't dare be hypocritical on such an incendiary topic, would they?

Would they?

TubaJon, saying "nobody was forced to,,,," is a lame excuse for the hazing that absolutely occurred. With the full knowledge and approval of the director. Did you listen to the audio recording of Waters chewing out the drum major for some infraction, basically telling him to do what he says, when he says it, or he's gone? Yet here's the same director, whining that he was Trying to change the culture. "Trying". B.S. If he wanted it stopped, he could have stopped it. In one day.

So, you can type page after page, but it doesn't change the fact that hazing was occurring, the director knew it, and allowed it.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

Also I'm not swayed by the argument to ask the kids who went through it. Of course, almost everybody who went through the hazing and is now part of the group will say it wasn't bad. Shame on Waters for allowing this. Double shame on him for not going away quietly so the OSU band can move on. Does he really think they will reinstate him? How dumb is this guy?

Edited by HockeyDad

TubaJon, saying "nobody was forced to,,,," is a lame excuse for the hazing that absolutely occurred. With the full knowledge and approval of the director. Did you listen to the audio recording of Waters chewing out the drum major for some infraction, basically telling him to do what he says, when he says it, or he's gone? Yet here's the same director, whining that he was Trying to change the culture. "Trying". B.S. If he wanted it stopped, he could have stopped it. In one day.

So, you can type page after page, but it doesn't change the fact that hazing was occurring, the director knew it, and allowed it.

And that recording is a joke if you want to use it for your argument. Hmmm lets see what happens literally everywhere else in the entire world when you do not do what your boss/director/superior tells you to do? You get fired/suspended or if you are lucky a nice chewing out like this kid went through. Once again you are pretending like this sort of stuff doesnt happen in drum corps and it is insulting.

With that being said, of course I think that in that recording Waters was harsh and pushing the envelope, but you nor I have any idea what the kid did in the first place. I would say probably something very disrespectful. But obviously the kid was aware of the situation enough to be recording it, so what does that tell you. It is like all of these videos that get passed around on facebook where someone gets video of a cop citing something wrong in the law or something. It is always the person who has the camera or recorder that instigates the situation, whether or not they are right or wrong.

Might as well shut down DCI, because we are all awful people.

• Like 1

Biting my tounge.

Edited by TubaJon

No we're not, and they're not either. I know you're exaggerating to make a point and in support of someone you think is getting a bad deal, but let's keep it in perspective. I do appreciate your alternate view in this thread, but I think the school and band needed to make some changes, as much as that saddens me, because when you look at the impact Jon Waters was having in terms of programming and fan excitement, it was impressive.

The discussion is relevant to drum corps because as with the top marching bands, DCI corps have traditions and cultures, and how those are managed from the top down, and how the values are projected to the outside world, impacts the program.

If having a young woman simulate a sex act on her brother (one thing that sticks in my mind from the report) goes on in all the corps then enjoy it now because they will be sued out of existence. And everyone else does it so it isn't that bad...not in my book

If people can't put aside their wants for the good of the band/corps they should not be there. OSU band is lucky the penalties are not worse...... Agree with HockeyDad this can be stopped easier than people think, Sit everyone down early and say what is not allowed and why. The "why" is it could kill the band in a lawsuit or school action. And anyone who can't put the band above themselves.... the door is over there. Kills me that MB is so important yet stupidity that could kill the band is "not that bad". PS only takes 30-60 minutes to describe the harassment policy (sexual and otherwise) to the members. Bit longer for section leaders and others in charge..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If having a young woman simulate a sex act on her brother (one thing that sticks in my mind from the report) goes on in all the corps then enjoy it now because they will be sued out of existence. And everyone else does it so it isn't that bad...not in my book

If people can't put aside their wants for the good of the band/corps they should not be there. OSU band is lucky the penalties are not worse...... Agree with HockeyDad this can be stopped easier than people think, Sit everyone down early and say what is not allowed and why. The "why" is it could kill the band in a lawsuit or school action. And anyone who can't put the band above themselves.... the door is over there. Kills me that MB is so important yet stupidity that could kill the band is "not that bad". PS only takes 30-60 minutes to describe the harassment policy (sexual and otherwise) to the members. Bit longer for section leaders and others in charge..

If you read the reports from members, that's what happened. Most of the complaints were from before Waters took over the band, and he did put a very quick stop to multiple bad activities, including alcohol consumption on trips. That was always a huge issue when I was in college band.

Geez, reading through the full report, if only they knew what happens on pretty much every corps bus (excusing BDC, because of course)

And that recording is a joke if you want to use it for your argument. Hmmm lets see what happens literally everywhere else in the entire world when you do not do what your boss/director/superior tells you to do? You get fired/suspended or if you are lucky a nice chewing out like this kid went through. Once again you are pretending like this sort of stuff doesnt happen in drum corps and it is insulting.

With that being said, of course I think that in that recording Waters was harsh and pushing the envelope, but you nor I have any idea what the kid did in the first place. I would say probably something very disrespectful. But obviously the kid was aware of the situation enough to be recording it, so what does that tell you. It is like all of these videos that get passed around on facebook where someone gets video of a cop citing something wrong in the law or something. It is always the person who has the camera or recorder that instigates the situation, whether or not they are right or wrong.

I don't understand your point. Mine was: if Waters could correct his drum major and stop that behavior, whatever it was, then he could have stopped the other unacceptable behavior in the band, and very quickly, had he wanted to. He didnt. Why? I don't know. My guess would be he felt the shenanigans were okay.

And I never mentioned drum corps. I'm not trying to tie this to drum corps. Are you?