FINALS NIGHT

So for those of you in the know. Strait up!

What was it about Bucs performance that propelled them from 3rd to 1st? Were they just on top of their game or did Cabs peek to early?

Reading had a load more content across all captions than did Hawthorne. And if both corps perform their shows, Reading wins based on strength of program. This is basically what happened. I found it amusing that someone on Facebook, a Cabs fan, offered up a suggestion to ensure that such a travesty of justice never happens again. Their suggestion was to have a quarter final, semi final and final similar to DCI. Anyone actually think that giving Bucs another 2 reps through their program would have helped the Cabs?

It doesn't matter the difficulty of a show (to some degree,) it matters how you perform it VOReason.

Averaging scores always seem dumb to me. By that reasoning the Yankees won the 1960 World Series as they outscored the Pirates 55-27.... more than 2 to 1 baby....

1 New York Yankees – 4, Pittsburgh Pirates – 6

2 New York Yankees – 16, Pittsburgh Pirates – 3

3 Pittsburgh Pirates – 0, New York Yankees – 10

4 Pittsburgh Pirates – 3, New York Yankees – 2

5 Pittsburgh Pirates – 5, New York Yankees – 2

6 New York Yankees – 12, Pittsburgh Pirates – 0

7 New York Yankees – 9, Pittsburgh Pirates – 10

Edit: Figure a NYC guy liked this (LOL). Went to college near Pittsburgh in 1979 and had to suffer thru Baltimore losing to the Pirates that year. How many times did I have to explain I was a LOT closer to Bal-mer than Picks-burg...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

It doesn't matter the difficulty of a show (to some degree,) it matters how you perform it VOReason.

Yes. But better achievement will push book numbers up higher. The combination of both led to how the math worked out

• Like 2

Honestly. They came out on fire. It wasn't a matter of one corps peeking before another. If your peeking finals weekend, your peeking at the right time. When we think they "Peeked too early" I think mid-season or Scranton weekend. That clearly wasn't the case with either of these two corps. I think part of it was the fact that, looking at the recaps all year long, Judges were giving the Bucs better top book numbers... it was the execution that hurt them all season. Given the energy they brought to the performance Sunday night, it would seem they cleaned up those execution numbers on the one show that really mattered. That being said, Cabs brought the house down as well with just as much energy. In fact, from a crown response perspective, the crowd was much more enthusiastic at the end of Cabs show. Bucs didn't get as much applause at the end in terms of performance energy other than what anyone would give for a big hornline that's right in your face 10 feet from the front set of seats. For that one night, the one that mattered most, Bucs were perceived by the judges to be a little cleaner.

I like how you qualified the reason for the Bucs crowd response at the end of the show. I was in the stands and could not hear anything but applause while the Bucs played the last 15 seconds of their show (and I was not near the crazy pirates :pirate: ) That is a testament of their efforts on Sunday night. I have been to a lot of shows over the years and it has been a long time since I saw that level of communication come from a DCA corps. The Bucs were on fire from the time they stepped on the field to the end of the program. I know a lot of us jumped on the Cabs bandwagon at the end of the year and they were great on Sunday too. But, I was floored by the way Reading performed. The look on the faces around me told the story. Most people were just amazed. The guy next to me who was wearing Fusion gear looked at me and said, "That's trouble for everyone."

Congrats to all the corps for their level of quality and entertainment this year!

So I guess this is the end of the, "every corps goes up 2.x every week and nothing changes from show to show" that is discussed on this board. Maybe next year we can discuss the qualities we enjoy from week to week rather than the constant micro analysis of ticks (which left our activity in the 80's). Every weekend corps has ticks so maybe we can evolve like the corps have......

Great job to ALL the performers!

So I guess this is the end of the "Every corps goes up 2.xxx every week, and nothing changes from show to show" that is discussed on this board.

I think there have been a lot more posts this summer disputing that idea than there were posts promoting it--wasn't it really just one person who claimed that?

Reading had a load more content across all captions than did Hawthorne. And if both corps perform their shows, Reading wins based on strength of program.

Well... this one I completely disagree with you on. A "Load more"? No not even close. I'll argue until the cows come home and the fat lady sings that Cabs had more content. Your eye line moves a lot more during their program, bouncing around the field in all areas because of the incredible variety that show had. In each moment, there was another concept taking place to strengthen the overall theme. I don't think Reading had that. Short of having sections move in front of the pit a few times during the show, there wasn't a whole lot of "Breaking through" that happened until the very end. But Cabs had an incredible seduction theme that took place and grew over the course of their entire program. Starting from the solo dancer in the beginning, to the color guard, the Tubas, Mellos, then the Baris,with their uniform change as they were seduced, than Drum line, all the way until the end... the whole temptress theme was very, very strong, even with the soloists and how they were used. I also didn't hear any type of musical demand from their hornline like Cabs had with all the runs and difficult musical passages, as well as the strong staging challenges lining those up in forms stretching across the entire field. Readings show was block form, open curve, block form, line, block form the entire show.

For those that were hard on the Cabs for what they claimed "minimal moving", no one had much to say about Reading standing still the last 50 seconds of their show 10 feet from the front seats. It's not a problem they did this as its an AMAZING effect moment and absolutely propels the crowd off their feet... but lets not be hypocritical here. Its a very smart design to gain a big reaction.

Edited by androidx2

Well... this one I completely disagree with you on. A "Load more"? No not even close. I'll argue until the cows come home and the fat lady sings that Cabs had more content. Your eye line moves a lot more during their program, bouncing around the field in all areas because of the incredible variety that show had. In each moment, there was another concept taking place to strengthen the overall theme. I don't think Reading had that. Short of having sections move in front of the pit a few times during the show, there wasn't a whole lot of "Breaking through" that happened until the very end. But Cabs had an incredible seduction theme that took place and grew over the course of their entire program. Starting from the solo dancer in the beginning, to the color guard, the Tubas, Mellos, than Baris,with their uniform change as they were seduced, than Drum line, all the way until the end... the whole temptress theme was very, very strong, even with the soloists and how they were used. I also didn't hear any type of musical demand from their hornline like Cabs had with all the runs and difficult musical passages, as well as the strong staging challenges lining those up in forms stretching across the entire field. Readings show was block form, open curve, block form, line, block form the entire show.

For those that were hard on the Cabs for what they claimed "minimal moving", no one had much to say about Reading standing still the last 50 seconds of their show 10 feet from the front seats. It's not a problem they did this as its an AMAZING effect moment and absolutely propels the crowd off their feet... but lets not by hypocritical here. Its a very smart design to gain a big reaction.

We must be looking at different shows. Edited by VOReason