Too much GE?

Yes, with the amount of marching slop that permeates DCA at its highest levels (and also DCI too a lesser extent), any visual judge, on field or in the box, can easily pick out basic marching or drill deficiencies....perhaps, it's a further discussion about how much weight these should be given on the sheets.

yeah I guess. quality seems so much higher and I dont think 1 person the way shows are designed today will do or show much on the field BUT either way I wouldnt be bothered by it. Maybe because for me any way being technical makes the the visual all the more impressive. So maybe it's just my thinking because thats the way I have always taught. If I couldnt clean it I sure as hell hid it..lol

Last week at the Reading show, many top corps had tons of feet issues.

Disclaimer: this post has nothing to do with finals so please don't yell at me :smile:

So, we all know that GE + communication is 50% of the score. Ensemble music + ensemble visual is 20%.

What if we stopped making GE the largest caption and instead made the ensemble captions worth the most?

Would shows become boring or lose appeal? Would corps stop challenging themselves to try new things?

Would execution and cleanliness suddenly become more important and we have better marching and playing groups?

Would making the ensemble captions more important than GE make judging less subjective?

Just putting it out there for conversation...what do you think?

Since I'm busy getting the theatre up for the University Pres today, I don't have much time to banter with y'all, or type my DCA review... but I like this post by Jeff.

I don't think shows would become boring. I do think that one of two things will happen. Show design will either have a greater build to them, starting simpler and saving the harder stuff for the end of shows to clean, or overall the shows will become simpler but we'll have cleaner feet and horns. Or perhaps a third idea, is that all of a sudden, corps will find a way to clean feet and articulations better. I would hope they do this already, I'm sure many do, but man, there were still lots of split attacks and sloppy feet and movement at DCA Finals... FINALS!!! (see also: It's too late in the season for that stuff)

In my honest opinion, I am more excited about cleaner movement and better playing. I won't purchase a CD of a group I don't feel can play in tune. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. I DO think that it takes some of the subjectivity out of the judging process, which I am all for. Currently it seems (and maybe I"m still getting used to these sheets and what the judges look for in this division) that there's lots of mystery in their decisions. Especially when they don't have to turn in all their scores until the end. Which to me is very weird. It makes it less about scoring the corps against the sheet and themselves, and more about scoring them against one another. Even though the sheets don't read like a comparison between corps.

I do think it levels the playing field a little bit when you're now rewarding more for execution and less for show design.

• Like 1

If that's not what's supposed to happen at a "competition" then boy am I confused.

last i checked, score sheets aren't written as a comparison between groups. But are written like the corps stands alone. Think of it like golf or even gymnastics. You post a score on the course or routine as an individual. Not compared to another. It just happens to be that you have to have the best individual score to win a tournament. The sheets aren't written (unless they've changed this) to state "in comparison to the rest of the field".

That makes it possible to get a 100 on your own sheet.

last i checked, score sheets aren't written as a comparison between groups. But are written like the corps stands alone. Think of it like golf or even gymnastics. You post a score on the course or routine as an individual. Not compared to another. It just happens to be that you have to have the best individual score to win a tournament. The sheets aren't written (unless they've changed this) to state "in comparison to the rest of the field".

That makes it possible to get a 100 on your own sheet.

No, I believe there is verbiage on the DCA sheets that indicates direct comparison is encouraged. I know it's on every DCI sheet (I'm looking at it now).

No, I believe there is verbiage on the DCA sheets that indicates direct comparison is encouraged. I know it's on every DCI sheet (I'm looking at it now).

yeah when it comes to assigning numbers, you have to rank, then rate

• Like 1

yeah when it comes to assigning numbers, you have to rank, then rate

aaah ok. my sheets are outdated. thanks for the update. anyone have a sheet they could send me so I could get a better read on it?

aaah ok. my sheets are outdated. thanks for the update. anyone have a sheet they could send me so I could get a better read on it?

I don't have the current DCA sheets, but I don't ever remember a time when you weren't comparing corps to corps.