Carolina Panthers kicker warms up during half-time show.

I don't agree with the pushing and the incident, but why was the band on the field that long after their scheduled time anyway?

For anyone writing emails and posting on the pages, please try to write well written and mature emails/posts! It will go a much longer way to getting a reply or any action.

• Like 2

Kind of looks a little too scripted for me, and maybe I'm saying this because I am both an optimist and a cynic combined: the cynic seeing it as rude, the optimist that it was all planned.

Cripes...I've seen more contact than that from a 3rd grade class playing "musical chairs."

• Like 2

I don't agree with the pushing and the incident, but why was the band on the field that long after their scheduled time anyway?

For anyone writing emails and posting on the pages, please try to write well written and mature emails/posts! It will go a much longer way to getting a reply or any action.

While I agree that we do not know much/any of the full story in this incident (why the band was on the field at that time, did the Panthers encourage their kicker to warm-up in the middle of the band, etc) I think we can agree that the way the kicker handled the situation was poor. One thing is 100% sure, the students on the field did what they were directed to, and pushing them out of your way, kicking in the middle of the marching band performance formation, etc. is an unprofessional, bush-league display. It's possible the band director screwed up their performance time, it's possible there was some delay unrelated to the band and the band director made a judgement call that didn't work it, it's possible the band director was told explicitly to perform and not worry about timing, etc. The students were not to be blamed in this case, and anything an NFL player does to students at that point is dirt bag jock mentality (that sadly is pretty common in these types of situations).

I will say this, though. At least Gano seemed sincere (ish) after-the-fact:

Gano felt bad for shoving the college band member after the game, however. “I want to apologize to him,” he said. “It’s just that is the only time we have to practice. But I never should have done that, and I feel bad about it.”

In fact, Gano felt bad enough that he enlisted me to find the trombone player in question so he could say he was sorry directly.

It seems like he made a decision on-the-spot, regretted it after-the-fact, and is trying to apologize and make the situation right. Good for him

I will say this, though. At least Gano seemed sincere (ish) after-the-fact:

It seems like he made a decision on-the-spot, regretted it after-the-fact, and is trying to apologize and make the situation right. Good for him

Agreed. It is nice he is trying to make contact and to apologize to the member directly (though an apology to the entire group would also be in order). As far as timing, the group was invited to play. I am sure they had no control at all about when they started. This is usually controlled completely by the stadium staff. They only had a 2 minute performance and were done with 90 seconds left in half time. It doesn;t seem like they were in the way, except that the kickers thought they should have the field for practice instead of whatever the local organization wanted to do (the article mentioned other kickers were on the field but left when the band came on).

Next time, I suggest they invite the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps to perform. I expect the kicker would not push any of them around.

Agreed. It is nice he is trying to make contact and to apologize to the member directly (though an apology to the entire group would also be in order). As far as timing, the group was invited to play. I am sure they had no control at all about when they started. This is usually controlled completely by the stadium staff. They only had a 2 minute performance and were done with 90 seconds left in half time. It doesn;t seem like they were in the way, except that the kickers thought they should have the field for practice instead of whatever the local organization wanted to do (the article mentioned other kickers were on the field but left when the band came on).

Next time, I suggest they invite the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps to perform. I expect the kicker would not push any of them around.

One article I read stated that the band was late due to traffic issues, and they verified with the Bucs to perform a cut-down show. They were later than normal in taking the field. Just seems like there were a series of unfortunate mishaps that resulted in the problem with the kicker, who admittedly handled it poorly on the spot, but at least has tried to reach out to apologize to the trombone player.

• Like 3

I would be willing to bet that if we take the entire country into consideration, there are far more marching band students who are, on a yearly basis, "gently nudged" into proper field position/placement (with much more force than used yesterday) by their respective music educators.

Hypothetically...would someone lose a limb if they pushed one Vanguard's cymbals? I can only see that interaction ending very quickly...

• Like 1