DCI Loopholes, Rule clarifications/changes?

Perc,

I deliberately didn't name the corps, a top sixer, because I can't prove as fact what I had been told by others. I did try to investigate.

When I looked specifically whether this soloist was actually playing, he definitely was fingering, was placed in a position away from frontlines and usual on field judging, did not play facing forward and the call could have gone either way. Any time I heard this soloist this season, the solo was flawless. One of the Indy nights, he seemed to pull away from the mouthpiece two or three seconds before the music ended; I attributed this to the fact that, if miked as it looked, the sound system may have been slower. Others with me and also looking saw it as grey as well. While some may go over the video a zillion times, it might not be known given camera angles. Without a specific proof I don't make an accusation. If it was true, it is not against CURRENT rules and would not change placements.

From this what is being said is: the future is with us already.

Edited by xandandl

Perc,

I deliberately didn't name the corps, a top sixer, because I can't prove as fact what I had been told by others. I did try to investigate.

When I looked specifically whether this soloist was actually playing, he definitely was fingering, was placed in a position away from frontlines and usual on field judging, did not play facing forward and the call could have gone either way. Any time I heard this soloist this season, the solo was flawless. One of the Indy nights, he seemed to pull away from the mouthpiece two or three seconds before the music ended; I attributed this to the fact that, if miked as it looked, the sound system may have been slower. Others with me and also looking saw it as grey as well. While some may go over the video a zillion times, it might not be known given camera angles. Without a specific proof I don't make an accusation. If it was true, it is not against CURRENT rules and would not change placements.

From this what is being said is: the future is with us already.

Are there no rules against sequencing a legal instrument? I thought there were rules against using synthetic patches/sequences of music that was legal acoustically (i.e. you couldn't play a brass patch on a synth but you could play a ww patch). I honestly don't know the most current rules.

(Deleted)

Edited by HornTeacher

(Deleted)

Edited by HornTeacher

I wonder...

If a major supplier that is trying to develop wireless field mics and the "balancing" (mixing) equipment required to access them all (say, for instance, to perfect mics for the NFL or other outdoor events) would supply mics and mixing boards to each and every corps free of charge, there-by leaving no corps behind...

Would the fan base approve or disapprove?

Would DCP?

not enough money in the marching arts to justify the freebies

Are there no rules against sequencing a legal instrument? I thought there were rules against using synthetic patches/sequences of music that was legal acoustically (i.e. you couldn't play a brass patch on a synth but you could play a ww patch). I honestly don't know the most current rules.

If so, where does the human voice fall? Voice is a legal "instrument" in DCI and has been sampled/patched/not performed live lots of times already.

And if anyone doesn't believe that voice is an instrument, play a gig or two with a good singer and judge for yourself.

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

not enough money in the marching arts to justify the freebies

Exactly. Every scholastic marching band needs uniforms and drum lines: they don't need state-of-the-art electronics/sound systems. The groups that would utilize them, I suspect, would be a niche of a niche of a niche.

Exactly. Every scholastic marching band needs uniforms and drum lines: they don't need state-of-the-art electronics/sound systems. The groups that would utilize them, I suspect, would be a niche of a niche of a niche.

I know Garfield was talking more about "we're beta testing gear for a huge, profitable corporation non-profit (NFL), but more than likely that company could do sufficient testing in colleges and pre-season stuff

But maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea: Cleveland Browns lost their opener to Pittsburgh partially because their QB's helmet speaker cut out in the middle of the coach calling the last play of the game and he had no idea what to do (note - Browns also lost that game because they played awful 1st half)

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1

No marching unit NEEDS a state-of-the-art electronics/sound system. However, many (most? all??) of the highly competitive units already use an expensive system. I'm guessing they aren't getting these for free either. Why do many/most/all of the highly competitive units use such a system? Because one unit (or a couple of units) decided to use them when electronics were approved, and now it has become the norm. If you don't use one of these systems, you are competitively behind the others that do. Thus, the activity becomes more and more expensive all around - corps budgets, corps dues, travel expenses, ticket prices to support all of these increased costs, etc., etc., etc.

One or two designers decided a few years ago that their unit wanted to amplify their solos and add effects to the sound output. Now, this is the norm (at least the amplifying the solos is).

What would prevent designers in the (near?) future from choosing to mic every brass player? Probably only the cost of the equipment right now.

No marching unit NEEDS a state-of-the-art electronics/sound system. However, many (most? all??) of the highly competitive units already use an expensive system. I'm guessing they aren't getting these for free either. Why do many/most/all of the highly competitive units use such a system? Because one unit (or a couple of units) decided to use them when electronics were approved, and now it has become the norm. If you don't use one of these systems, you are competitively behind the others that do. Thus, the activity becomes more and more expensive all around - corps budgets, corps dues, travel expenses, ticket prices to support all of these increased costs, etc., etc., etc.

One or two designers decided a few years ago that their unit wanted to amplify their solos and add effects to the sound output. Now, this is the norm (at least the amplifying the solos is).

What would prevent designers in the (near?) future from choosing to mic every brass player? Probably only the cost of the equipment right now.

The marching band I teach was VERY small back in 2002, after the single HS split into two. We had a total of 32 people, including 6 guard, 6 percussion, 10 winds and 1 DM. At one show, we had more parents moving pit and props than we had members! :tounge2:

We wireless micced most of the winds, including the 2nd trumpet, our baritone horn player, our tuba, the four clarinets, and the tenor sax. We did not mic our first trumpet player, the two piccolos and the two altos.

It worked out very well for us, actually, as we ended up 3rd of 16 at our USSBA 'A' class champs with just over a 90, and we were moved to the Open division for 2003, where we have been ever since.

• Like 1