WWI and WWII shows

my grandfather was employed by Columbia Corporation, forerunner of CBS and RCA shootoffs, to open the Orient to the Victrola, wind up version for those without electricity, plug in version for those who did have electricity. The victrola was an original form of a record player. Music halls bought them up and some of the better to do familes. My family had to return to the US when WWI broke out.

• Like 1

Both Schaumburg Guardsmen and 27th Lancers did nice work with Waltzing Matilda.

Corps Reps also credits Sundowners and Light Brigade tackling that lyrical tune.

Long Island Kingsmen used Waltzing Matilda as part of the drum solo in 1980 and 1981.

From what little I've read, WWI--or more specifically the activities of the veterans returning from it--was the signal event in the launch of non-military drum and bugle corps, which might be another reason for the subject for a corps to assay.

Also WWI Army surplus bugles and drums were used by many Posts to supply their corps. Talk about a 180 degree change from the costs today. Especially since some wore their old service uniforms or white shirts with uniform parts.

And the American Legion was created 1919 by WWI veterans. Think preliminary meetings were held in France while waiting to be sent home. And how many AL Posts, along with VFW had corps as a way to promote the local town.

s/ guy whose last corps was started 1920 in a AL Post started ca 1919. That's the reason why they have such a low Post number (14).

"The Great War":

WAY BACK in 1964 St Lucy's Cadets did a color presentation that was a medley of British World War One tunes "(Long Way to Tipperarry", etc) that ended with a stop fanfare of "God Save the King".

In 1962 through 1962 St Kevins Emerald Knights played a number for their "Off the Line" called "Voice of the Guns", a British military march that was used in the epic "Lawrence of Arabia"

Elphaba

"The Great War":

WAY BACK in 1964 St Lucy's Cadets did a color presentation that was a medley of British World War One tunes "(Long Way to Tipperarry", etc) that ended with a stop fanfare of "God Save the King".

Roses of Picardy was another of St. Lucy's in 63 and 64. Was very big during WW1 in Britain.

Without getting sappy or anything of the sort, may I be allowed to give a gigantic "THANK YOU!!" shout-out to all of those who contribute the great tidbits of drum corps history on both this thread and others? While I don't have anywhere near the historical or activity-based knowledge that most of you have, it does not lessen my interest and love for the activity as a fan. I've always believed that to fully understand where we're going, we also have to fully understand where we've been. Your contributions enlighten me each and every day in terms of this great activity. Please accept my admiration, respect, and appreciation...they are both real and genuine.

There...now that I got that off my chest, I can go back to being the insufferable fool that I enjoy playing so well. :colgate:

• Like 1

Without getting sappy or anything of the sort, may I be allowed to give a gigantic "THANK YOU!!" shout-out to all of those who contribute the great tidbits of drum corps history on both this thread and others? While I don't have anywhere near the historical or activity-based knowledge that most of you have, it does not lessen my interest and love for the activity as a fan. I've always believed that to fully understand where we're going, we also have to fully understand where we've been. Your contributions enlighten me each and every day in terms of this great activity. Please accept my admiration, respect, and appreciation...they are both real and genuine.

There...now that I got that off my chest, I can go back to being the insufferable fool that I enjoy playing so well. :colgate:

Just realized how ironic your avatar is in a WWI thread..... yep big time history buff... live too close to Gettysburg, PA to not be one...

Just realized how ironic your avatar is in a WWI thread..... yep big time history buff... live too close to Gettysburg, PA to not be one...

I'm jealous. I'd be there every day if I could. Nice "new" (not sure when they built it...I just know it was done since the previous time I was down there) visitor center...a year ago I spent an entire day in that building alone. And there is absolutely nothing like standing at "the angle," surrounded by hundreds of visitors being totally silent out of sheer respect and power of the place.

Edited by HornTeacher