IRS complaint filed against DCI?

Bigger wider yawn. Having actually dealt with the IRS I sincerely hope you are right.

I didn't intend my caustic comments at you distinctly, so I apologize for any offense.

Accusations such as his can take on a life of their own on a non-moderated league-of-like-minds like a FB group, and I'd like to think there are calmer heads having (mostly) adult dialog on DCP. Without a counter-weight of challenge, and in the face of NO evidence beyond his own conjecture, I think it our responsibility to keep the cesspool from spreading beyond his own pool of stench, if not explicitly calling him out on his own facts and history, which I'm happy to do.

It's perfectly appropriate to thrash something of substance, like the G7 pdf, but to add validity to one person's personal vendetta can do little good for the activity.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

I didn't intend my caustic comments at you distinctly, so I apologize for any offense.

Accusations such as his can take on a life of their own on a non-moderated league-of-like-minds like a FB group, and I'd like to think there are calmer heads having (mostly) adult dialog on DCP. Without a counter-weight of challenge, and in the face of NO evidence beyond his own conjecture, I think it our responsibility to keep the cesspool from spreading beyond his own pool of stench, if not explicitly calling him out on his own facts and history, which I'm happy to do.

It's perfectly appropriate to thrash something of substance, like the G7 pdf, but to add validity to one person's personal vendetta can do little good for the activity.

Plus it is very clear when one has an agenda. It's more than this guy, just less obvious ( they think anyway ) but just as comical.

Edited by GUARDLING

Hey Jeff Ream, since you must have joined his group to post to his FB page, would you be so kind as to invite him, even from me, into this thread, or the 990's thread or start a new one, where we can discuss his contentions? I'll take his 990 summations and you can take his judging accusations.

Seriously, it'd be fun!

Edited by garfield

Hey Jeff Ream, since you must have joined his group to post to his FB page, would you be so kind as to invite him, even from me, into this thread, or the 990's thread or start a new one, where we can discuss his contentions? I'll take his 990 summations and you can take his judging accusations.

Seriously, it'd be fun!

fun? :shutup:

I find it interesting that he uses the fallacy:

I accuse you of X. You must divulge evidence that you are innocent of X. Your failure to do so constitutes admission that you must be guilty of X, and also of the lesser offense of a lack of transparency.

This fallacy happens in partisan politics all the time. I think it happens because in our interpersonal lives we would tend to submit to the demand in order to defend our honor. (In other words, if a friend accuses us of something, we feel the need to prove ourselves innocent.) But organizations will typically refuse because A) they don't really care about their "honor" unless you can prove something, and B) giving evidence of any kind to those who hate you is clearly foolish; the evidence will be used against you in some other way(s).

Maybe it's that you only need to prove your innocence to those you respect. And DCI doesn't respect people like Mr. Blair who have established themselves as enemies of DCI on a fishing expedition.

Moreover, none of the things he accuses DCI of is even unusual, let alone criminal. Nonprofits pay little but need high expertise, so it's accepted that they use people who are full-time professionals in fields related to the nonprofit. Ethically icky? Yes. Unusual? No.

He accuses DCI, a nonprofit, of underpaying its employees. Wow.

He accuses DCI of releasing a judge based on a report from a person affected by the judgement. Doesn't that happen in every sport? In fact in criminal court cases judges and jurors are routinely replaced based on accusations by those affected (if there's validity to it). It's OK in a band contest.

Verdict: Loon.

• Like 4

Well, see what Tim K said, but also: all drum corps are marching bands but not all marching bands are drum corps. So Mr. Gratwood, at least as you have paraphrased him here, is correct.

Except for a lot of Open Class corps that allow students of all skill levels in, and offer enough financial help that pretty much anyone of age can join, sure. He's "right"