IRS complaint filed against DCI?

Can we all just wait to find out if these complaints to the IRS by this person... and posted by Jeff Ream yesterday on DCP....

Just a minor point: the actual complaints were posted to DCP by Liahona, after Jeff brought the issue to our attention.

Just a minor point: the actual complaints were posted to DCP by Liahona, after Jeff brought the issue to our attention.

And thank you for that, Liahona.

EDIT: Following is directed generally at the thread, not at N.E.

Upon breaking my own rule and logging on to FB, I find that Mr. Blair spews shrapnel about DCI on, at least, these pages:

1. Drum Corps Universe

2. Boycott DCI

3. If you Think Drum Corps is Dead ##### Away! DO NOT HONK FOR DCI!!!!

4. I don't support DCI

5. DCNA TOO

6. Facebook Drum and Bugle Corps

7. REAL DRUM CORPS...NO AMPS OR ELECTRONICS

Just let that stew for a few minutes, so as not to jump to conclusions.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

This posted in March by Mr. Blair to the "Boycott DCI" group, and offered for the more level-headed DCP readership for consideration:

"I’ve been thinking about WHAT NEXT? Especially after the legal, measured response from Mr. Acheson who, by his position, spoke for the DCI BOD. As an aside, I am a bit amazed at the lack of response from the individual Board members. It appears they have ‘circled the wagons.’

In their wisdom, they have decided their model is the best and everyone better suck it up or else. And to keep in perspective, these folks don’t really deal with the real world often. They are not politicians or other slick PR kind of people. They do not understand the basic steps of community organization. They just missed two opportunities and now, seemingly, face the third.

In the first step CO people explain to the stakeholders what the perceived problem is and ask for redress. Failing that, they petition the power brokers. Both of which now have been done, to no avail or satisfaction.

Reading the numerous threads from yesterday, on many different sites, it is pretty clear where this is heading – the third step. BOYCOTT, i.e., no attendance, no movie theater, no online, no buying at the souvenir stand.

This step is typically only taken when groups of people have been dismissed and treated as if they do not matter, just like women and minorities were, they are just chattel.

Only money matters. This has nothing to do with the kids/performers, they’re only doing what they have been asked. This is about the adults who shape the fabric of the activity and have recklessly dismantled a unique activity.

Discuss. What shall be the next step? Is it a boycott petition? Is it a silent revocation of the product being offered?"

Doesn't Michael Jordan have part ownership of a team? If so he has influence on rules, hires etc

Absolutely, but the original analogy dealt with Jordan's relationship with Nike, drawing a comparison to Cesario's relationship with FJM. The failure of the original analogy is that Jordan's shoes don't affect rules that influence competitive results. It could be argued that Cesario could influence rules in such a way that his designs are somehow rewarded competitively. (I'm not suggesting that this is the case, but my point is that it could be argued and such an argument is not unreasonable)

Edited by kdaddy

I don't know much compared to a lot of people, but I do have a relatively good grasp of the 990s from which Mr. Blair provides references in his FB rants. His summations and conclusions regarding DCI's finances are specious and strongly arguable, at least, and flat-out incorrect and miscalculated in most.

It's also interesting that he precedes his FB rants with "...and this is satire...". No strength of conviction on FB, apparently, but he'll get the attention of the IRS? Really? For what? If he takes his FB numbers as evidence if the IRS actually gives him an audience, he'll be embarrassed and dismissed when it's discovered his conclusions about the 990's don't support any action by the IRS. But, hey, you know those guys at the IRS have nothing better to do than investigate important claims like this. {/sarcasm} Hey, IRS, when you're done with this, would you look into that curious relationship between GE and the defense department? You know, I think I'm paying too much for that washing machine because of it. Jeesh,

He should come over here and discuss the 990s; I won't hide behind a satire label. But it's obvious he's not interested in any facts other than his own, or in civil discourse about a subject. His vendetta goes back many years.

It's like when you're sitting around a campfire at dusk, enjoying the beautiful scenery when one mosquito begins buzzing around your head. You swat. Bzzz. You swat again. Bzzz. SLAP! Hands slap together and the problem is solved. Yeah, it's like that. Except that this time it's the IRS' hands that provide the solution.

Edited by garfield

Ok.

He should come over here and discuss the 990s;

While its a good suggestion, and one I'd support, its entitely possible that Blair has never even heard of DCP.

Well I found this document and it's well worth the read.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/tax-exempt_nonprofits_must_meet_inspection_and_disclosure_requirements.pdf

Quite honestly anytime (IF) the IRS gets involved I would be concerned. Whether you want to poo poo and dismiss this post I dare say IF the IRS gets involved you won't be dismissing them. You can rant and rave all you want and at the end of the day it will probably be some guy in an office somewhere that has NO IDEA what DCI is but see's a multi-million dollar 501c3. Let THAT digest for a second about the real world. I just hope that there is no there-there but sometimes, when the IRS gets involved, there doesn't need to be AND THAT is what concerns me.

It's like when you're sitting around a campfire as dusk, enjoying the beautiful scenery when one mosquito begins buzzing around your head. You swat. Bzzz. You swat again. Bzzz. SLAP! Hands slap together and the mosquito is dead. Yeah, it's like that. Except that this time it's the IRS' hands that provide the death knell.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Careful, Gar. It sounds like, given the level of mentality which we are apparently dealing with here, your words might be taken as a veiled death threat.

(And yes, your example was totally apt. I thought that you knew I was playing along WITH you, not AGAINST you.)

Edited by HornTeacher

Who is this John T Blair guy anyway? Mr. Atchinson doesn't owe him any answers whatsoever. Sounds like a true D-bag with a chip on his shoulder. He should officially get a life.

Could this be 'She who must not be named' working in-cog-neeto?

I never met a conspiracy theory I didn't like. Carpe' Conspiracy !!