Pacific Crest and Blue Devils Team Up in SoCal Clinic/Audition

If your Corps has more former marchers over the years that have gone on to march the Blue Devils, than the numbers of former marchers from the Blue Devils that have left the Blue Devils over the years to come march your Corps, then under my personal definition, you are a " Feeder Corps " to the Blue Devils.

As such, Pacific Crest is a " Feeder Corps " ( or another appropriate term... a " Stepping Stone Corps ") to the Blue Devils.

This informal arrangement is simply made more formalized now with this announcement. This is my definition of a " Feeder Corps/ Stepping Stone Corps ". Pacific Crest is the classic example under my personal definition of the terms.

Additionally, I would refer to the Blue Devils A Corps as a " Destination Corps " . My personal definition of a " Destination Corps " is a Corps where THEIR definition of a " Feeder Corps " is where you are fed from their kitchen truck crew when you march there, and as a marcher, you intend that this kitchen truck will be the last one you intend to be fed from in your last summer tour in Drum Corps .

Brasso, you have completely stepped in a pile of crap with this line of thinking. You have so mis-characterized what occurred in SoCal this weekend that it's nearly astonishing. I'll enjoy correcting your presumptions later today.

Brasso, you have completely stepped in a pile of crap with this line of thinking. You have so mis-characterized what occurred in SoCal this weekend that it's nearly astonishing. I'll enjoy correcting your presumptions later today.

Got it professor.garfield.. ..what time is your class this afternoon for me to partake of my corrective tutoring ? Would it possible for me to take your remedial corrective class tomorrow instead ?

Given the high odds against anyone making BDA given the numbers who audition -- even B corps members have to fight it out to get in -- it's more likely BD would feed PC.

You proclaiming the PC is now officially a feeder corps for BD is the height of arrogance, and is a huge slap in the face to PC.

Preach.

lol Brasso is write-only media. never actually reads or replies to what other people post -- just twists the topic around to get to one of his "go to" rants (G7, feeder corps, transfer rule) , and then re-posts the rant prefixed with phrases like "obviously everyone agrees" or "no one is stupid enough to deny". sometimes i think it's a script and not a person at all.

• Like 2

Ha; but why not form a nonsensical, asinine opinion of events they didn't attend and business meetings they have no knowledge of?!

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 2

lol Brasso is write-only media. never actually reads or replies to what other people post -- just twists the topic around to get to one of his "go to" rants (G7, feeder corps, transfer rule) , and then re-posts the rant prefixed with phrases like "obviously everyone agrees" or "no one is stupid enough to deny". sometimes i think it's a script and not a person at all.

a DCP spam-bot that instead of soliciting business spouts pre-scripted nonsense

• Like 1

I think I've seen bits of the truth in several posts, including some portions in Brasso's. What I believe is being acknowledged by PC is the following:

1. Blue Devils IS a destination corps, as Brasso calls them, and although PC technically competes with them on the same field, no one is kidding themselves that PC is anywhere near their level at the moment
  2. Because of #1, PC can expect greater exposure to potential marchers at a camp in which BD participates
  3. That exposure will not only increase the pool of potential members for PC in general, but because of #1, the quality of that pool will increase as well (i.e. some players who might not make BD and would otherwise not consider investigating PC as their back-up choice, may now know enough, and like enough, to choose PC (especially if they are from the area).
  4. Some players may think that this association will mean that if they stay with PC (instead of, say, Troopers or Crossmen), they will have a leg-up on eventually getting to BD some day. I don't believe that will legitimately be the case, but it is a possible perception by players that might also help PC.

Primarily, it's all about exposure to a potential group of players that might not otherwise have bothered to attend a PC camp, especially if the timing conflicted with another corps' camp. (i.e - some Southern California players who would have skipped PC to attend a Troopers camp, for example, may instead stay local to attend the PC/BD camp because of BD's participation, but while there they are exposed to PC as well, and may decide to stick.

Yes, it is an acknowledgment in some respect that PC is willing to ride the coat-tails of BD, but I don't believe that PC or any reasonable person believes that they can compete head-to-head at this point for the same players. However, if they can get a handful of the BD-wannabees to stay with PC, instead of trying their luck at another corps, then it's a success for them, with no real downside.

Frankly, I think it would be pretty cool for DCI to hold a combine, with scouts from all corps present!

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 2

This whole BD/PC scenario has all kinds of possibilities, but it might take a few years to see if in fact PC becomes more competitive. Those who do sign on with PC still have to contend with other top 12 and OC mm who audition with BD each November. I see thousands of key strokes over this in the next few years, but as mentioned, it should be positive for both corps.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

Appears so. Pacific Crest, that competes in the same division and on the same field with the Blue Devils, is pretty much announcing that they will never beat the BD in the future, as you can bet your life, this arrangement would never happen with SCV and BD, or 2 Corps relatively close to one another in competitive placements doing this.

So sure, this arrangement is good for both, but it most certainly establishes the one time informality of PC being a feeder Corps to BD, as one that now announces it publically and formally to all as such.

When the Crossmen were part of the Cadets YEA organization, who benefited the most placement wise from that relationship ? If one says " The Cadets ", they go right to the head of the class, with that wise assessment and correct response.

Pacific Crest will never be able to successfully compete with BD in the future on the field of competition with such an arrangement. But at least they are acknowledging that reality, and are publically ok with announcing that they will be a feeder Corps to BD, and also will consider taking into their Corps the marchers who are cut by BD... and then go out and compete on the field with BD in this arrangement. Very odd, imo. But both organizations seem pleased with this arrangement. So if they are both pleased, then whats to not like here ? Nothing, as near as I can tell. So good luck to Pacific Crest and the future competitive position they've resigned themselves too here relative to BD in the World Class Division of DCI. They're happy, so I'm happy for them too ! Seriously.

Just to confirm my understanding...

PC and BD have a joint camp, ergo PC is admitting permanent defeat to BD.

PC will never successfully compete against BD because of this arrangement.

The fact that they held a public joint camp is tantamount to PC announcing publicly that they will never compete with BD.

Do I have that right?

Brasso, did you ever stop to think that it is PC that is attractive partner here? That possibly BD sees something in the way PC is run that prompts them to help support PC in any way they can?

In my view, BD sees PC becoming a competitor faster with BD's help. In my view BD WANTS more competition and sees this fellow corps as having the infrastructure, leadership, drive, and MM base that makes BD believe PC will actually become a true competitor.

I believe it's actually more probable that members who don't make BD will try out PC just because of the affiliation PC has with BD. I believe it's possible that MM's cut from BD will be attracted to PC simply because BD has taken an interest in PC's success.

I believe it's probable that BD is fine with PC's retaining more members (from BD and other corps) as PC continues to advance.

BD is the most financially stable, and growing, corps organization in the activity. What possible motivation could BD have to devote time and energy to a lower-ranked corps? Members? Bunk. Feeder corps? Crap, BD doesn't need any more stinkin' feeder corps.

I believe BD is interested in PC because A) they appreciate what Stuart Pompel has done at PC (they may even see some of themselves in Stuart), B) it was an opportunity to streamline a recruiting process in a way that will benefit BOTH corps, C) BD feels that if this "partnership" expands they can feel comfortable with who and what they're partnering with (obviously a tall order as BD has never done it prior).

To me, this is not in any way an admission that PC can't compete with BD, it's more an admission on the part of BD that PC will (or can), in fact, be a contender and BD wants to help propel that goal.

And I believe that BD isn't concerned about PC beating them, so long as PC beats EVERY OTHER corps!

And as a side, why would you pose your beliefs (wrong-headed as I believe they are) into some negative connotation of "...can't compete...". Isn't it at least as likely (much more-so, I believe) that BD is actually doing what we pitchfork-toters asked and hoped they would do when we were arguing the G7 kefluffle - pay attention to, and actively help, lower-placing corps become the competition your need and desire?

I'm having a difficult time seeing your rationale for framing your comments in such negative lights. And suggesting you know the motivation or the message or the results of BD's interest in PC is narcissistic at best, mis-informed more likely, and intentionally negative and inflaming at worst.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2