76 years ago

If only SCV 2000 had Cadets 2013's hornline (and better horns than those available in 2000) to play that particular arrangement of Adagio for Strings... Then it really would've sounded magnificent. Trumpets sounded a bit pitchy in that recording.

I'm glad guard has come so far since then. That is cringe worthy.

I find most guards cringe worthy (when I bother to watch them), then and now. This guard is one of the few that caught my attention in a good way, particularly during Adagio.

To this day this remains the best show I've seen live.

That show is one of my favorite memories.

I got tickets to all three nights for finals that year since I lived right up the road in Laurel, MD. MY grandmother had passed away that January and for a number of reasons, I had never really been able to mourn the loss. I'd become really emotionally shut down over the months and remember actually thinking during the first night, "Why aren't these shows making me feel anything. This isn't right." Then SCV did Barber's Adagio and everything opened up.

I got home late that night and crashed while still humming that melody.

The next morning I woke up late and went for my usual walk still hearing the tune in my head...until I could swear I was actually hearing it over and over. At then end of my walk, I made a loop over a hill between my apartment complex and the middle school behind it.

And there on the football field was SCV rehearsing their ballad over and over. I spent the entire day sitting by the back fence listening and finally crying and mourning my grandmother's passing.

To anyone who marched SCV that year, thanks.

They put SCV in a middle school? :tounge2:

Seriously, KVG, this about choked me up. There are so many drum corps shows that have been with me a critically impactful points in my life, that carry such meaning to me personally in the music, that I'm a big ball-baby.

There are those shows that grab you and reduce you to tears because they are beautiful in themselves, then there are shows that accentuate something else beautiful in your life.

One of the reasons why I'm the drum corps geek I am.

Edited by garfield

On this day: Premiere of one of my favorites, on and off the field.

Barber was born in West Chester, PA btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIa7fCg5528

yum....

They put SCV in a middle school? :tounge2:

Seriously, KVG, this about choked me up. There are so many drum corps shows that have been with me a critically impactful points in my life, that carry such meaning to me personally in the music, that I'm a big ball-baby.

There are those shows that grab you and reduce you to tears because they are beautiful in themselves, then there are shows that accentuate something else beautiful in your life.

One of the reasons why I'm the drum corps geek I am.

As I mentioned in a private message to someone who responded to my post, despite the conversation of the activity being a 'sport' because of the high level of physical demand, it also belongs to the performing arts. Shows have the ability to inspire and evoke strong reactions from us with their artistry. And like all effective art, it allows us to see ourselves in new ways.

And yeah, a middle school! Although they had a fairly nice field, but no real stands so SVC had put up a scaffolding for staff to get a higher view of the forms.

• Like 1

How could they get that much bass without a synth?

Weren't they still using G bugles that year? (I'm assuming you're talking about SCV 2000)

The recordings are so heavily tampered with in the 2000 recordings... that it sounds way bassier than it was.

Was this some grand DCI conspiracy? No. It was just windy as HELL. Incredibly windy. The fact the recordings sound good at all is a big accomplishment.