Getting Into the Blue Stars

Hi all!

Well the title pretty well dictates the premise of my question. I've been playing trumpet for 7.5 years and am looking to march drum corps the summer I graduate high school, 2016. I have been in competitive high school marching all four years, section leader these last two. The Stars are located in Lacrosse, just three hours away from me. I have a friend who is aging out this year with the stars, and he has had a blast. I talked to him and he said for my skill level, I should be able to make it as my first year corps, however I wanted to ask all of you. Do you think that it's relativity possible for someone to make Blue Stars in their first year of DCI..? Considering that they are a top 12 I would imagine it's hard.. My friend is a really good player and got a contact at his first camp, but I'm not as good as him. Now granted he's 4.5 years older than me but still... If you think that Stars would be too impractical for a first year corps, please list some good alternatives that are in or close to Wisconsin.

I appreciate your help and comments, thanks!

Edited by MarchRDie

Go after your dream man. Its not unheard of for a first year member to make stars. Even the top level groups take first year members with no drum corps experience if they are ready for it. The only way you'll know is to show up and try out. There are options to get a year of experience if you find out you aren't ready the first time out.

• Like 2

Try to march this summer - most on this site would agree that NOTHING builds your chops as much as Drum Corps. Look at open class (Racine Scouts?) perhaps, or DCA (Kilties), or maybe even Pioneer. You don't say the direction of the '3 hrs away', so the Racine / Milwaukee area may or may not be close to you. The extra year of experience can't hurt.

Great responses from the other two posters. Find a way to get out there and go for it!

But there's plenty of other options if you're looking for other groups. If you live in or are not far from southern Minnesota, a great corps to build experience with would be the Govenaires from St. Peter, MN. We will perform at 5 DCI shows this year — including DCI Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium — as well as several other DCA shows in August.

Our staff has many years of DCI experience (both performance and instruction) and we offer low membership dues ($350).

Check out govenaires.org and facebook.com/Govenaires

Best of luck to you!

Edited by Big Govie-ment

Are you prepared to "live the life"?

Been away from home before?

Had your a$$ kicked for a whole summer before?

Are your chops the absolute best they've ever been?

Do you really, really, really, really want to make this corps?

Then Yes, you can make it. Don't disappoint yourself and shoot low.

(And, at the same time, pick out a realistic alternative to make sure you march in 2016.)

Perhaps contact Brad Furlano, director, to get permission to shadow the corps for a day at camps either in Indianapolis or Waldorf College in Forest City, Iowa in May.

In this way you would get a taste of the actual schedule, personal demands, and how you are able to go with the flow or not.

Also check the DCI corps schedule to see what corps will be housing, competing, or appearing in your area; many give clinics for bandsmen or allow for open rehearsals.

Just as siblings don't always mimic each other as clones, different people will have different experiences with the same corps. You are not your friend. You have strengths your friend may not. Be yourself, try your best, and you'll have your answer.

You have the colts in Dubuque, Iowa too.

Even if you don't / can't march this summer do the following:

1. Get in the absolute best physical shape of your life. Build both strength & stamina.

2. Practice your horn. Get some technique books and work your way through them.

3. Now the fun part - start running while you play the technique charts.

Note that steps 1-3 could also be accomplished by marching somewhere this summer.

True inspirational story from an old flatus (me) - back in mid 80's one of our drummers decided to audition for Scouts after we folded (not due to lack of $$ but that is not important right now). He did not make the cut. So, he practiced (tenors) literally 5+ hrs a day until the next season. He aged out of Cavaliers in 92 w/ 5 seasons under his belt, 3-4 of them as center (lead?) tenor. Then he entered the Marines. Boot camp was easy for him.

So - stop lollygagging & start practicing! Right now!!

• Like 1

The Blue Stars absolutely take talented, committed marchers with no experience! I marched Blue Stars with no prior corps experience during the 2012-2014 seasons (before aging out). While it has become more competitive to make the corps, from my general observation, it is very feasible for a member to make it straight out of high school, assuming the effort is there. The Blue Stars are a great organization and provide a life changing experience for all who are will to give it their all. If you have a question about the organization or experience feel free to PM me and of course email the corps. The worst thing you can do is not audition because you are afraid you won't make it, I promise you will leave the camp better than you came in regardless of making it or not. Best of luck!

• Like 1