The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

MMMMmmm...Reich.....

I've tried to convince one of my high schools to do Desert Music for 3 years now. And I'm never gonna win that fight. But man would I love to hear a drum corps work with it. So many movements of tasty stuff to choose from.

Hey, that's right up Academy's alley. ;)

Actually I think minimalism is a bit overplayed after this past decade and maybe one of the reasons older fans have tuned out. It's really hard to connect with it. Desert Music has a lot of repetitive dissonance that I think would turn some people off.

I'm not entirely certain if this has been done, but I've never seen it if it has.

Frank Zappa- Peaches en Regalia (could almost do a whole show just on this)

I've been saying for a long time that this would make a great drum corps show. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been discussed as a possibility. I'm sure Frank would love the idea of this were he still alive. His wife however, now holds the rights to all of his music and is notoriously tight about how the music is used.

I'll give you this -- you picked one of the few handful Zappa tunes you could actually march to.

VK's winter guard used "Dancin' Fool".

Garry in Vegas

PS From the same album, Sheikh Yerbouti, how about "Broken Hearts Are For ########s"?

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Pioneer

Boublil and Schonberg's "The Pirate Queen".

This is a lesser show from the team that created "Les Miz" and "Miss Saigon" based on the 16th century Irish heroine, Grace O'Malley.

It is obvious that the musical talent level throughout DCI has become pretty high, so I wish more corps would do music from the standard brass band literature. After teaching corps the past couple of years and having several critiques with judges, DCI is wanting corps to start playing in the brass band style. More Martin Ellerby compositions would turn the corner for drum corps musicianship.

Paris Sketches is a great piece by Martin Ellerby and I don't think it has been done.

Crown should attempt "Music for Prague 1968".

Do anything about Prague and you'll probably have Lee Rudnicki as a fan. He LOVES Prague!

Garry in Vegas

For an American-themed show, the song Hymn to the Fallen would be a great ballad. It's from the end of Saving Private Ryan, but I'm not sure of the composer.

John Williams. It was a Spielberg film. It's almost a lock that if it's Spielberg, it's Williams doing the music.

Garry in Vegas