SOA '15

At some point, we will all just have to sit back and see what happens. It is, however, difficult to ignore two things that I think have enough teeth to somewhat act as predictors for this coming season:

1. The talks, statements, mentions of issues at the top seem to be ongoing by more than just a few people. While rumor does not make fact, there seems to be too much talk to be ignored. If there is an issue there, it could be hard if not impossible to overcome, and as we have seen for decades, it spells disaster faster than anything. Though very few of the thousands of drum corps have survived two major comebacks, it has been a dismal few. SOA has had its two. If the corps has another rough season, not sure a third is possible. Last season's leadership is still largely in place.

2. Though some fans have remained understandably supportive about at least a few moments in last year's show, fact remains it could stand the test of time for being the poorest show design of a top twelve corps of all times (the corps was a top twelve corps when the show was designed. That design of course lead to the corps now being 17th). So many fundamental, go-without-saying design flaws existed that the show was destined to fail from day one. Though corps can modify and change their product to improve its effect, the core of this show simply would not allow for changes to do much of anything to lift its placement in any way. Last year's design leadership is still largely in place.

Edited by cadetzoid

Attendance at camps mean little to me. There are always the corps that have 600 attendees at auditions and then come in 14th place. I think SOA designers are well aware of what worked last season and what didn't and will adjust. People just need to have confidence in the staff that has been assembled. Isn't this the same staff that got them back into finals a few years ago or did I miss something?

Edited by Tobias

Attendance at camps mean little to me. There are always the corps that have 600 attendees at auditions and then come in 14th place. I think SOA designers are well aware of what worked last season and what didn't and will adjust. People just need to have confidence in the staff that has been assembled.

Why do you think the designers are well aware? Aren't those the same designers that did make changes to last year's show? Changes which had no affect on the show at all?

I think design on paper sometimes just doesn't materialize on the field as anticipated and a summer of feedback from judges guides the staff the following off season.

Cadets towers in 2013 although a great concept on paper to demonstrate the side by side concept, proved a logistics nightmare costing them the silver at finals. You probably won't see them utilize huge moving props for a while.

Why do you think the designers are well aware? Aren't those the same designers that did make changes to last year's show? Changes which had no affect on the show at all?

I think there is a new design staff for 2015.

Cadets towers in 2013 although a great concept on paper to demonstrate the side by side concept, proved a logistics nightmare costing them the silver at finals. You probably won't see them utilize huge moving props for a while.

No. Crown performing the hell out of their show and Blue Devils having a concept and execution that was a notch above is what put Cadets in 3rd that year. Still one of my favorite Cadets shows, but not the second best show or performance that year.

Edited by Slingerland

I think design on paper sometimes just doesn't materialize on the field as anticipated and a summer of feedback from judges guides the staff the following off season.

Yes to point one.

Your second point . . . well, not exactly. You are assuming a lot my friend, a whole lot.

Attendance at camps mean little to me. There are always the corps that have 600 attendees at auditions and then come in 14th place. I think SOA designers are well aware of what worked last season and what didn't and will adjust. People just need to have confidence in the staff that has been assembled. Isn't this the same staff that got them back into finals a few years ago or did I miss something?

No, the entire design team and most caption heads from 2010-2013 left at the same time. The board let them slip through their fingers. Not sure why. We will probably never know, but it screams problems at the top, un-insightful alumni (or at least enough to make a difference), and possible funding issues. That design team also scattered to the wind. Some still in the activity, some not. A possible sign of burnout/non-appreciation. First come backs are tough, Seconds are really impossible and probably not even worth trying. Somehow they did it, got the corps back in three years in a row and developed a new fan base while regaining part of an old one. That had to be grueling work and I am sure to took its toll to some degree. I hope the alumni were falling all over themselves supporting and appreciating what those people did. Not feeling too positive for 2015. Hope I am wrong.