93 Star vs. 88 Madison

93 Star vs. 88 Madison  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you prefer, 93 Star or 88 Madison

East Lake Catholic! And Corn....mainly Corn!

At Prelims (Friday---there was no "Thursday" for the top groups yet), Madison was shockingly good. In Finals, their first 6 minutes were not going well---the hornline wouldn't stop fracking, and the crowd was, well, polite. Then Malaguena happened, single-handedly destroying BD and SCV in 5 minutes. Frankly, 1988 contained the most flawed top-5 I can remember. SCV's hornline was very bad (it lost them DCI); BD had one leg on which to stand---a hornline worth 15 points. Garfield was substance over style, and the Cavies played Firebird. 1988 Madison's win was pretty much like the result of Russell Wilson's INT.

1993 Star's hindsight popularity is almost comical. I saw them at least 6 times that summer, and the crowds did not like what they were doing. Preview of Champs in Yip, Michigan: they were tied w/ the Cadets coming out of prelims---they won finals BIG. Nobody booed (loudly, anyway), but the result was NOT popular. Listen to the DCI Finals announcement of 2nd place. The crowd was elated that Star lost. But over the years, "we" decided to reward their artistic achievement.

If those two shows competed as they performed in their finals, Star would win by 1.5 points. Drums, brass, guard, overall GE (brass would be a toss-up, but visual? No contest).

You can't go wrong with either one, but I voted for Star '93, partly because I saw it live. I remember sitting there watching (with my mouth agape) and thinking holy $#!+, this is ridiculous, and could completely change the world of drum corps!!! Just watching that group in the lot was ridiculous.

• Like 1

I honestly can't pick one over the other. They are just so completely different shows that both stand on their own and are both shows I could watch over and over.

• Like 2

These two shows stand out in people's lists of favorites, and they seem to go along with other choices that have similar drum corps values. Does the one you prefer say something about what you think drum corps should be?

Of course, feel free to qualify your answer in the thread.

For me personally, I don't think this is a "fair" debate. In my mind Malaguena is so overplayed it is hard to detach my annoyance from what is clearly a great show/performance from 1988 Scouts. I also think that these two shows are great examples of the diversity of the activity.

Never the less, I personally like Star 1993 more, and appreciate how much that show changed drum corps design-wise. That was a show I absolutely did not like or appreciate in 1993 (I was young, had friends in Cadets, and just really didn't get Star 1993 at the time beyond "OMG that drum line is amazing") so looking back on it now with a different perspective is enjoyable. FWIW I like Scouts 1988 better now than I did in the 1990s, but Star 1993 gets the nod from me because of its shear uniqueness (at the time) design-wise. I also think it's a rare show that would compete well in 2015 while Scouts 1988 would likely not

You can't go wrong with either one, but I voted for Star '93, partly because I saw it live. I remember sitting there watching (with my mouth agape) and thinking holy $#!+, this is ridiculous, and could completely change the world of drum corps!!! Just watching that group in the lot was ridiculous.

Totally agree with watching them in the lot. As a percussionist I watched their drum line several time sin the lot that year and their clarity & musicality blew me away! Even though I was still in HS at the time and far more interested in percussion than brass, I still also made it a point to listen to their brass warm-up once or twice, always insanely impressed

Scouts

Scouts was a much better live show than Star, this is where the video lies. it fails to pick up the GE and impact of Scouts performance and gives a lot more GE to Star than what was on the field

I saw both live and the feeling after Scouts was much different than after Star. Scouts gave it up; it’s what I want from live drum corps, a punch in the face.

Most the people that gush on Star 93 never saw it live; from the stands it was pretty boring where only the first half of Scouts 88 was boring
  • Like 1

Scouts
Scouts was a much better live show than Star, this is where the video lies. it fails to pick up the GE and impact of Scouts performance and gives a lot more GE to Star than what was on the field
I saw both live and the feeling after Scouts was much different than after Star. Scouts gave it up; it’s what I want from live drum corps, a punch in the face.
Most the people that gush on Star 93 never saw it live; from the stands it was pretty boring where only the first half of Scouts 88 was boring

That could be; I haven't seen Madison 1988 live so it's hard for me to accurately "judge" which I prefer. But I also think the two shows are the difference in, say, millions of people buying Lady Gaga's latest record that is custom-made for broad mainstream appeal, vs a symphony hall audience going to watch "Rite of Spring," which is a challenging piece but amazing to those that appreciate it. I agree, and said earlier, that I wasn't into Star 1993 when I saw it live in 1993. I lived in Central OH at the time, and saw Star many many times that season and I never "got" or liked that show (and I would still say Cadets is my preferred favorite show of 1993). I appreciated the talent of the members, but didn't like the design at all. Of course, with a few decades of DCI show designs, Star 1993 fits in well with modern designs while Madison Scouts 1988 feels like a quaint throwback to a previous era; heck, as has been stated by others, the front half wasn't even performed that great & is more known for its closer than its full show design/performance!

I would've liked to have seen Scouts 1988 and its undeniable that show had a huge impact on the crowd: arguably more than Star 1993. That being said, I liked Scouts 1995 live FAR more than Star 1993, but I like Star 1993 now better than Scouts 1995. Heck, I liked Cadets, BD, and Scouts in 1995 better than Cavaliers right up until Finals week when Cavaliers cleaned up. Regardless, Scouts 1988 & Star 1993 are undeniably great shows from awesome corps, both deserving of fans' praise.

OT but 88 was the one year they drew for positions during finals. I think it was a top 6, bottom 6 draw but it's been a long time. Many say without that draw Madison does not win. (I loved the show either way.)

Notice that experiment was never repeated. :satisfied:

OT but 88 was the one year they drew for positions during finals. I think it was a top 6, bottom 6 draw but it's been a long time. Many say without that draw Madison does not win. (I loved the show either way.)

Notice that experiment was never repeated. :satisfied:

I'm sure George Hopkins complained...sorry someone was going to say it.

• Like 2