93 Star vs. 88 Madison

93 Star vs. 88 Madison  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you prefer, 93 Star or 88 Madison

They took what Academie Musicale and L'Insolite did with body movement and visual expression( in class A now open class) and put it on the big stage in world class!

Star 93 was unique, they were Avant Guard. They got boo'd, ![/uquote]. ............................................ But BD got booed just a couple of years ago for being " Avard Garde " with a show that placed high too . And they did not copy the shows from corps in Open Class either with it. So where is the love for BD for their Avard Garde shows of a couple of years back ? Or will that acceptance come 20 years later after today 's booers in DCI are long gone and a younger, newer generation of fans replace them. ? or will in 20 years the next generation of newer fans enjoy the propless, non narrated, non singing, non preachy, non political, non amplified, non woodwind, non sexualized, non running, ' 93 Star show better than the BD DCI winning shows of. 2012 , 2013 ? Only time will tell, of course . But it's something to ponder it seems to me now anyway .

Edited by BRASSO

Star. I to this day believe Madison wasn't the best corps on the field that night. I haven't since I saw it live

• Like 1

Who was booing at bd 12-14? Those shows were magnificent!

I voted Star 93, but only because I listen to it more often. I also love Madison 88.

As many before me have said, apples and oranges. Star 93 was groundbreaking, with lots of body movement, silence, and finesse. Madison 88 was loud, proud, face-melting awesome.

The drum corps activity needs both, or else it would be a boring grey mush of sameness.

• Like 3

Who was booing at bd 12-14? Those shows were magnificent!

They were magnificent. Unfortunately a bunch of ######## boo BD every year. Probably the same morons that walked out in 1993 at various shows when Star would enter the field.

Sometimes when you present something new, it doesn't get credit until years after.( when someone else does it) You have to realize that Star 93 was presenting something new to DCI audiences and some judges. They took what Academie Musicale and L'Insolite did with body movement and visual expression( in class A now open class) and put it on the big stage in world class!

Star 93 was unique, they were Avant Guard. They got boo'd, They were chastised, Now champions are doing what they did. Like the 2006 Cadets or 2004 Crown.People crapped over their shows but, now Corps are singing, Talking, carrying benches ( even jumping off of them) Props and Characters of all shapes and sizes. And, its excepted and winning now!

Cadets 93 were great! Star 93 was ahead of the curve!

Fred: Go the next step in your comments.

You rightly cite the two Quebec, Canada corps in open class with their different approach.

Star '93 had a visual program fuelled by the insights and creativity of another Canadian, Jon Vanderkopff, a Cadet alum who previously marched Dutch Boy and was mentored big time by George Zingali.

This unique "north of the border" creative flow now finds its contemporary home in Canton, Ohio where Jon gave us Tilt (again a borrow from other musical groups) to go with the music of the man from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada: Doug Thower.

What's in the water up North that generates the creativity??? Evidently they all don't play just hockey.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

What's in the water up North that generates the creativity??? Evidently they all don't play just hockey.

Ah yes, our latest product of this "creative flow" just took off his clothes for a major ad campaign and has indicated that recent questionable behavior is not what he is really like.

Edited by Lincoln

From the Canadians/Canadie

Ah yes, the latest product of this "creative flow" just took off his clothes for a major ad campaign and has indicated that recent questionable behavior is not what he is really like.

According to the Canadians/Canadiens I know they don't want him either!

That sentiment was quite emphatically vocally made at Les Diplomates' alumni tail-gate tent at Allentown this summer. (no pun on the corps name, ha, ha.)

I wonder if we had a poll as to whether one liked the 93 Star show or the 2013 Blue Devils show more which would find the most support now today ?This would be a much better comparison as both were avard garde , both were booed, both had fans walk out on their show . 88 Madison won over both the judges and large audience alike at Finals and is probably not as good a comparison to compare 93 Star with,imo

Edited by BRASSO

I saw both shows live. I agree with those who are saying Madison on tape doesn't do justice to the live performance. Also, they definitely peaked at their Friday performance. I thought BD had the winner that year. 93 Star got golf claps at best. I thought they were really boring. They've grown on me... but their mythology growth over the years is kinda funny.