When was the last time this was discussed?

While I have a personal opinion, I surely wouldn't stop someone from standing in the lot all night and ignoring the earlier shows.

I just want to charge a ticket price for the privilege.

So long as they buy a ticket, a fan can wander anywhere around the stadium that they choose.

And I happen to agree with your personal opinion.

BUT -- you can't reasonably deny parents access to their kids except in the performance venue. You're selling tickets for a performance. You get to control that venue. The rest is quite frankly out of your purview as a show host because the rest of the time those kids are not "performing".

Charging access to a corps member is ridiculous prima facie. Can't even believe it's being given DCP air time.

Edited by corpsband

Though I would hope they comp the members of the local marching band, or we're right back to the other thread ... what benefit is the school getting out of all of this?

More revenue to the show producer means more profit for the school after the DCI contract is paid.

there are the following negatives:

hassle, loss of good will, missed opportunity for PR, Formalizing the 'show aside from the show' as opposed to alluding to it...those things I believe are all bigger negatives than the financial positive.

but most important and damning are the logistics and expense. I can't think of a sequestering process that wouldn't probably result in a net loss of money.

maybe at Finals it could be done, but if it's free all season and then suddenly a charge it feels even worse.

interestingly, DCI itself is promoting the lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6zb7np9xsg
not directly, not 'skip the small corps and watch warm-ups,' but showcasing the fact that there IS a 'show aside from the show' serves the purpose of promotion.

Edited by 31rabbit

More revenue to the show producer means more profit for the school after the DCI contract is paid.

IF the school/band is the host of the show, and not just being used as a favor, or at cost, to some unaffiliated producer. And even when the band is the producer, raising funds from its own members isn't the point of a fund-raising endeavor.

And I happen to agree with your personal opinion.

BUT -- you can't reasonably deny parents access to their kids except in the performance venue. You're selling tickets for a performance. You get to control that venue. The rest is quite frankly out of your purview as a show host because the rest of the time those kids are not "performing".

Charging access to a corps member is ridiculous prima facie. Can't even believe it's being giiven DCP air time.

What the heck are you talking about?

Is the corps "performing" when they hold a clinic? Are you suggesting that they aren't performing when they're in the lot?

As the show host I most certainly can deny parents access to their kids in the warm up lot, even if I can't prevent their access to their kids at the bus lot or in the gym.

Being a parent of a MM does not provide for free and unfettered access to MMs at the show site. Further, if a parent needs to meet up with a MM, the corps is bedded down for hours (or days) prior to the show.

Again, I don't care if a parent buys a ticket and spends the whole night in the lot in front of their kids at the lot. I only care about selling a ticket.

I don't think you're clear on what rights I have as a show host to earn revenue from every aspect of a corps' presence at our stadium.

It may be public property but it is leased out for a fee to DCI for the night under the auspices that a fee would be charged for admittance to the show.

"Warm Up Lot Not Open To The Public"

Ticket is required. Purchase at ticket booth."

Corpsband: It's the "free" part of the lot that needs fixed. To the extent that dissuades fans from missing the opening corps, the better.

That's fine G, but you still have not answered the question as to what is done when someone refuses to pay and has no intention of leaving the area? They might just walk another 100 feet from the area and still enjoy the warm up.

What the heck are you talking about?

Is the corps "performing" when they hold a clinic? Are you suggesting that they aren't performing when they're in the lot?

As the show host I most certainly can deny parents access to their kids in the warm up lot, even if I can't prevent their access to their kids at the bus lot or in the gym.

Being a parent of a MM does not provide for free and unfettered access to MMs at the show site. Further, if a parent needs to meet up with a MM, the corps is bedded down for hours (or days) prior to the show.

Again, I don't care if a parent buys a ticket and spends the whole night in the lot in front of their kids at the lot. I only care about selling a ticket.

I don't think you're clear on what rights I have as a show host to earn revenue from every aspect of a corps' presence at our stadium.

a clinic is an entirely different case. (although I do understand the parallels) and in every case that im aware of the CORPS runs the clinic and collects the proceeds. has nothing to do with the "show host" (other than the facility fee).

no -- they ARE NOT performing when they are in the lot. they are warming up. sorry. a performance is their judged production in the stadium.

lol so you're going to sell access to the buses? because MANY pits warmup somewhere near the buses and right in front of the equip trucks.

as i said earlier, if you want to UPCHARGE your customer, a parking fee would be the least controversial.

but IMHO if you think you can unilaterally start charging for access to the corps OTHER than their scheduled performances in the stadium, quite frankly you're bananas. charge for your bounce house sure. but I don't think you can reasonably monetize the corps in anything other than the show.

Edited by corpsband

Some venues would certainly be easier than others to accomplish this. Many high schools have perimeter fencing with limited points of vehicle/pedestrian access to the entire campus. Instead of letting everyone in, and only charging at the stadium itself, just charge an entrance fee to access the campus (not much different than a parking fee).

Other venues naturally would be exceedingly difficult to regulate access.

Some venues would certainly be easier than others to accomplish this. Many high schools have perimeter fencing with limited points of vehicle/pedestrian access to the entire campus. Instead of letting everyone in, and only charging at the stadium itself, just charge an entrance fee to access the campus (not much different than a parking fee).

Other venues naturally would be exceedingly difficult to regulate access.

agree. and you'd be better off calling it a parking fee. because no one is gonna pay for a "pre-show warmup access fee".

Edited by corpsband

IF the school/band is the host of the show, and not just being used as a favor, or at cost, to some unaffiliated producer. And even when the band is the producer, raising funds from its own members isn't the point of a fund-raising endeavor.

Oh? But raising funds from all the other schools' band kids is the point? If you've no had kids in school, you likely remember all the fund drives the band kids put on to raise money, much of which usually starts and ends with the parents buying the useless crap themselves. Well-run band programs are masters at retching away as much as possible from band parents in the name of band programs and fees.

Host school bands usually get free passes anyway and, in many cases, those kids have been watching the corps practice for much of the day anyway.