When was the last time this was discussed?

Damm it! I was waiting to see the "white smoke" emerge from your ears.

Is that the indication that the College of Cardinals have selected a new Corps to follow for the year?? (The Vatican Vanguard, perchance?)

Edited by HornTeacher

Is that the indication that the College of Cardinals have selected a new Corps to follow for the year?? (The Vatican Vanguard, perchance?)

Almost got it. They're called the Swiss Guard. When any of the all male unit age out, they move over to the oldest military organization in the world also known as the Swiss Guard.

Edited by Ghost

Damm it! I was waiting to see the "white smoke" emerge from your ears.

But if they put in some substance, they might send out the Blue Smoke....and we all know what that means.

You sure did -- my anti-idiocy nerve.

Pretty funny how the rest of your post is one giant back-pedal.

I challenge you (again) to show a single public message where a corps encourages it's fans to ignore the corps in the stadium and stay in the lot. Seriously. Please post it.

Evidently, you misread my first post (or all posts) on this subthread.

Flipping channels yesterday, saw a rerun of The Blues Brothers, including the scene where the main characters promote their upcoming performance by driving all over the county with a megaphone on the roof of their car. This is not like that. Dave Gibbs is not driving a car around the track as Mandarins take the field, announcing over the rooftop megaphone "if you want to see the real show, our A corps is in the lot warming up now".

However, "the lot" is clearly being promoted. This has been going on for quite some time, as evidenced by the following from cavaliers.org:

DVD Drumline Parking Lot VOL III - 2003

The Cavaliers tradition for outstanding, award winning drumlines has been achieved through the combined efforts of the percussion arrangers, the instructional staff and the drumline members.

Creatively challenging arrangements, a demand for excellence and the tireless efforts from all to perfect and perform each year’s program provides a wealth of material for use in the creation of the Drumline Parking Lot Series.

Whether it be pre-show warmups in the parking lot, intensive field rehearsals during finals week, or up close excerpts from the summer’s competitions, the Parking Lot Series provides an opportunity to experience, first hand, what it's like to be a part of The Cavaliers Drumline.

That, by itself, would not be a problem if "the lot" was not going on during the competitive performances of other DCI corps. But it is - at the exact same time, and in very close proximity.

Official and unofficial corps self-promotion has grown to encompass nearly everything the corps does together - which makes sense for the most part. However, when it extends to the point of conflicting with the contest performances of other DCI corps, that (IMO) is a problem. If you cannot grasp the nuances of this issue, even after my clarification, I cannot help you.

To move the discussion forward, I can offer more alternatives for consideration.

Here is one - all playing in the vicinity of the show site stops when the show starts. The problem of warmup noise interfering with the show in the stadium would be completely solved. Corps can still warm up on the field as they do now, and those who need extended warmups off the field can do so off site. If your corps really wants a more extended warmup as close to their field performance as possible, they can request to go on first. Then let the corps decide whether it is more of an advantage to go on early or late.

Or take a lesson from Drumline Battle. While not exactly the same thing, Drumline Battle is another manner in which DCI drumlines throw down, often using material that would not be part of their competitive field show. The difference is that DCI does not stage their drumline battles in the lot while other corps are competing in the stadium. So what if we brought interested drumlines into the stadium to play their lot licks for the whole audience? Have them perform right before the first competing corps - or in between corps. Corps interested in this form of self-promotion should jump at the chance to have this seen by several thousand more eyes. Having both attractions in the stadium would put more butts in seats.

• Like 1

Evidently, you misread my first post (or all posts) on this subthread.

Flipping channels yesterday, saw a rerun of The Blues Brothers, including the scene where the main characters promote their upcoming performance by driving all over the county with a megaphone on the roof of their car. This is not like that. Dave Gibbs is not driving a car around the track as Mandarins take the field, announcing over the rooftop megaphone "if you want to see the real show, our A corps is in the lot warming up now".

However, "the lot" is clearly being promoted. This has been going on for quite some time, as evidenced by the following from cavaliers.org:

That, by itself, would not be a problem if "the lot" was not going on during the competitive performances of other DCI corps. But it is - at the exact same time, and in very close proximity.

Selling a CD is far from "encouraging fans to skip other corps". In fact you could make an argument that it does just the opposite ( "don't worrry about missing this live because we will record it for you".

Official and unofficial corps self-promotion has grown to encompass nearly everything the corps does together - which makes sense for the most part. However, when it extends to the point of conflicting with the contest performances of other DCI corps, that (IMO) is a problem. If you cannot grasp the nuances of this issue, even after my clarification, I cannot help you.

This is nonsenscial.

Self-promotion is ok so long as it's not at the expense of other corps. So ... the Cavaliers should sell CDs of all the the other corps too?

Self-promotion is BY DEFINITION going to exclude the rest of DCI.

Seems to me your "nuance" amounts to " corps A should not do a better job promoting itself than corps B (who spends NO TIME promoting itself) because that's just not FAIR!! "

I have no problem seeing your "nuance" but IMO it's just "things are just fine the way they've always been" point of view. How dare any corps ADVERTISE? They didn't need to do that in the 80's. Why should they do it now!!

To move the discussion forward, I can offer more alternatives for consideration.

Here is one - all playing in the vicinity of the show site stops when the show starts. The problem of warmup noise interfering with the show in the stadium would be completely solved. Corps can still warm up on the field as they do now, and those who need extended warmups off the field can do so off site. If your corps really wants a more extended warmup as close to their field performance as possible, they can request to go on first. Then let the corps decide whether it is more of an advantage to go on early or late.

This suggestion shows a complete lack of understanding of the rationale behind the warmup process. Some corps may be housed 1.5 hours from the show site. You think their best performance will occur going on COLD? I suppose the colorguard should stop with all that stretching too. They've had all day to stretch.

Or take a lesson from Drumline Battle. While not exactly the same thing, Drumline Battle is another manner in which DCI drumlines throw down, often using material that would not be part of their competitive field show. The difference is that DCI does not stage their drumline battles in the lot while other corps are competing in the stadium. So what if we brought interested drumlines into the stadium to play their lot licks for the whole audience? Have them perform right before the first competing corps - or in between corps. Corps interested in this form of self-promotion should jump at the chance to have this seen by several thousand more eyes. Having both attractions in the stadium would put more butts in seats.

So -- those drumlines in the drumline battle don't warm up ? They play cold? Somehow I doubt that's the case.

• Like 1

Yea, gotta agree with Corpsband on this one. Corps plan their arrival time at the show stadium to give them sufficient warm up time, not when the show starts.

Our last-performing corps won't even leave their housing site until almost an hour after the show starts.

They're not going to give up an hour's practice or EPL just to showcase their drumline.

I don't know, are there a lot of complaints about corps warm-ups being too close to the stadium?

And did the corps even start this "lot" trend anyway? Isn't it more that fans heard 8's on a hand and just migrated that direction?

Now, fans can miss the early corps because DCI has done nothing to sequester warm-ups away from public view. Corps have capitalized on the demand by offering digital of the lot. (Actually, by offering digital they are actually cooling that demand). What I don't get is that all corps could do a lot video if they didn't give it away for free.

I just :wacko: